How long have you been into RC?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats an age telling question right there. LOL. I have been into R/C since I got my first radio shack car in about 1980.. The kind that just went forward and had a single button on the controller that made it go into reverse where a slip axle set up made it turn to the left .. Those were the only affordable toy grade r/c's at the time and they were still pretty expensive for 1980 dollars.. so yeah I been playing with toy cars for about 42 years at this point.. been building and racing them, for 36 of the 42. Been designing and scratch building for 25 of the 42, and I have been running only cars I design and build since 2012.
I had one or two of those back in the day :)

I've been into RC for 35 years. Got a Tyco Mini Hopper, and then I bought a bunch of Nikko's, and Tyco's, scrimping and scraping to save up for them. Build my first custom RC in 1988. Wish I still had all of that stuff, I really don't even know what became of it (might have given some away to a nephew at some point).

Got my first hobby grade RC back around 1988, it was a Tamiya Striker. Tinkered with them here and there but really could not afford it through my younger adult years. Had my first son and when he was about 5 started to get him into it. 4 sons later I am deep into RC’s the past 5yrs.

Sure have come a long way since the old Striker lol

1984 or 1985, with a pair of used Tamiya Grasshoppers, then around 1990 picked up a Frog and a Kyosho Ultima. Needless to say, I've been around RC stuff a really long time, and shows that I'm getting old.

amagine if we could see how much in total we spent on rc cars 🥶
That is something i never want to actually figure out. I probably could have built a house from scratch and bought a brand new Subaru at this point. Up until the mid 2000's, i was constantly buying vehicles, and, several times had more than 100 of them at one time. In 2001, i built a 15X20 shed just for all the cars i had then, and they were still piled on top of each other, but, i used to buy them in lots at one point.
He posted a vid. It was more like an unintentional dumpster durability test 🤣

But I can't say much... I was just driving the 6S Kraton and an entire apartment building up and jumped right out in front of me. That footage seems to have mysteriously been corrupted on my phone though, so it makes me extremely sad to report I won't be able to share this strange phenomenon. I have to assume this is the same exact thing that happens to all the bigfoot and ufo footage.
If i had a dollar for everytime something jumped out at me, for example, poles, trees, cars, mailbox posts, buildings, including a school, skateboards, surfboards (dont ask), other RC cars, i would probably be richer than Trump.

My dad was in a model railroad club and had a friend there which took a liking to me and gave me a Tamiya Holiday Buggy. I later bought his old Sand Scourcher as well for just a few dollars. (He upgraded to the SuperChamp) I guess it was in the early ‘80’s. He was the greatest model builder I ever saw and won many awards for his scale hot rod cars and ho trains. I hope he is still alive, last time I saw him was at my fathers funeral in ‘95.
Anyways...been at it off and on since then thanks to a nice man named Ernie.

My dad was in a model railroad club and had a friend there which took a liking to me and gave me a Tamiya Holiday Buggy. I later bought his old Sand Scourcher as well for just a few dollars. (He upgraded to the SuperChamp) I guess it was in the early ‘80’s. He was the greatest model builder I ever saw and won many awards for his scale hot rod cars and ho trains. I hope he is still alive, last time I saw him was at my fathers funeral in ‘95.
Anyways...been at it off and on since then thanks to a nice man named Ernie.
Trains are something i never got into. I have had tons of plastic model vehicles, boxes of RC cars and parts, and over 100 HO, 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars (there is a slot car track about a mile from me that i still run at once in awhile), model and RC boats, but trains and planes were never my thing, so, i guess ill never be asked to be in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 2.

Trains are something i never got into. I have had tons of plastic model vehicles, boxes of RC cars and parts, and over 100 HO, 1/32 and 1/24 slot cars (there is a slot car track about a mile from me that i still run at once in awhile), model and RC boats, but trains and planes were never my thing, so, i guess ill never be asked to be in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles 2.
My dad had a side hustle as an ho brass dealer, had a huge layout in our basement and a founding member of the local ho train club which is still in existence today 50 years later. Long before eBay and online selling he would travel to shows and sell trains. I tagged along but never got into it to the level he did. Very good at airbrush painting and weathering. Very fun, light hearted guy, I wish he was given a few more years....

Back