How Do You Unglue Your Tires

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goodgamer

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
The tires on my SC-10 (subcultures) are coming unglued and they filled with dirt. I want to unglue them clean them out and glue them back up.

Any input will be helpful, thanks!

Either boiling them or baking them

Baking shouldn't ruin the foams, but the heat might melt/distort the foams

Boiling will ruin the foams. unless they are closed cell, although the extra heat might distort the foams as well.

I boiled my IMEX red rock Crawlers, and ended up finding a taller foam that had the right I.D to fit the new rims.

I always boil mine off and I'm able to reuse my foams, never had one destroyed from boiling, baking i have lost a ton of foams doing it that way, seems like when they cool, they shrink.

I've done both methods as well, I've never lost foams either way. I found baking to be a bit quicker and easier, it did smell a bit more though. I found boiling to be a bit more of a PITA because of the hot water and having to wait for the foams to dry out.

I.................... Just buy new ones, but that is because I'm lazy and because by the time the tire need to be replaced the rim is usaly prity mess up too.

I've always used the baking method. But if you do you just need to go slow, don't force it or you might tear the bead.

Razor blade and a sharpened precision screwdriver. I never seem to have a stove around when it needs to be done.

I was doing the razor knife method, but I cut to much rubber off the tire so I stopped before I did to much harm.

How do you guys go about these methods? Temperature, time, can the pot or pan be a nicer one or will it for sure be ruined? Any tips for it to?

Thanks!

YouTube squirrelod. I'm sure he has a video for both methods.

I was doing the razor knife method, but I cut to much rubber off the tire so I stopped before I did to much harm.

You've got to really pull on them, stretch them away from the area you're cutting. It's exhausting, causes the hands to crap something fierce. But since I don't tote my camp stove and pot to the track, this is the method I generally end up using.

Acetone around the bead leave it sit for awhile then push gently on bead and work it off slowly don't force to much. I put the acetone in a spray bottle and spray as I pull away from the bead. Baking works also, But the smell is terrible.

I'm lazy. I use beadlocks wherever and when ever possible. My hands hurt too much after the Xacto knife around the beads on the first set.

YouTube squirrelod. I'm sure he has a video for both methods.

Yup he did thanks super helpful!

One thing I am afraid of though is after I heat the tire and it becomes pliable while I am peeling the tire off will it stretch and stay that way?

I will try and do the boil method tomorrow and let you guys know how it went.

Here is the report on the tires.

I was doing as I was told to do in the video by squirrelod (excellent video by the way) which is boil them for 5-10 minutes so I did the first tire was perfect boiled about 7 to 8 minutes the tire came right off but the foam inside was dead, which I didn't care to much about. It could have died from driving with the dirt in it. The second didn't go to well I boiled it for about twice as long and one side came off beautifully. Turned it over to start on the other side, I got it open, rolled the tire off the rim just as the video said and about half way through it ripped the tire partially.

So all in all one dead foam insert possibly from the dirt the boiling or both. One good tire. One partially messed up foam that went into the garbage. And one ripped tire.

I want to get two new sets of tires for my SC10's what do you guys recommend? Mostly on asphalt and dirt.

Thanks for the tips and help. You learn something new everyday in this hobby.

I want to get two new sets of tires for my SC10's what do you guys recommend? Mostly on asphalt and dirt.

I like the Proline Caliber, M3 or M4 compound. Great in dirt, good on clay, good on blue groove, and pretty decent on pavement. Just a solid all-around tire with excellent life.

I like the Proline Caliber, M3 or M4 compound. Great in dirt, good on clay, good on blue groove, and pretty decent on pavement. Just a solid all-around tire with excellent life.

What is the difference between compounds?

Most tires hold up pretty good on dirt but asphalt is a tire killer if your running something with power. The only tire that held up pretty well for me with a brushless system on asphalt was ProLine Gladiator, not good for racing but killer traction on dirt and will last a while on pavement.

I have ran the stock Losi stadium truck tires from my XXX-NT don't know what they are called but they work great. They are just to wide for the body. They are almost like the gladiator just double the width.

Also how much does the wheel itself play a role with the tire?

Last edited:
Back