How do I properly tune a nitro aircraft engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starfox2005

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Flying
  3. Boating
Hey everyone I need help with my 2 nitro planes because they seem to be spitting a lot of oil/unburned fuel out of the muffler and it seems like they both need to be properly tuned. Thanks for any advice!
Engines are a tower hobbies .40 size engine and a O.S. engine .46 Max ax. Both 2 stroke nitro.

Welcome I don't know to much about aircrafts. But I have nitros fuel coming out of exhaust. Means it's running way to rich I found this video about tuning tuning hope it helps you

You can find anything you need to know on YT bud. About anything.

Yeah that's what I was thinking... I'm looking for other answers and tip's from the experienced people on the forum though first. Instead of just listening to some person on YT. 🤷‍♂️
I'll check your video though thanks!

Last edited:
Yeah I guess so... I'm looking for other answers and tip's from the experienced people on the forum though first. Instead of just listening to some person on YT. 🤷‍♂️
I'll check your video though thanks!
It's running way to rich turn down the HSN. You only want smoke no fuild coming out of exhust. only been running nitro for 20+ yrs guess that not enough experience for you. If you can't tune by electric
And that video was from rcplane lab. And Tom one of the guys have been flying rc since 78. Not just some person on YT. Do your research before you ask ? Or make comments bud good luck

Last edited:
It's running way to rich turn down the HSN. You only want smoke no fuild coming out of exhust. only been running nitro for 20+ yrs guess that not enough experience for you. If you can't tune by electric
And that video was from rcplane lab. And Tom one of the guys have been flying rc since 78. Not just some person on YT. Do your research before you ask ? Or make comments bud good luck

Oh my ,been out of the game too long ,that one has a two needle!..🤔

That is not what I said. I said instead of me asking YouTube first I figured I'd ask you guys that have a lot of knowledge and experience. Sorry about that must've said that in the wrong way. Definitely got ahead of myself and should have done my research.... sorry.

Last edited:
Its a single needle ,the engine will let you know as you lean it out for maximum RPM's!...:cool:
Can't that do damage? Pre ignition/ knock?

That is not what I said. I said instead of me asking YouTube first I figured I'd ask you guys that have a lot of knowledge and experience. Sorry about that must've said that in the wrong way. Definitely got ahead of myself and should have done my research.... sorry.
No worries man was just trying to help. All we can do is tell you that your motor is way to rich and to turn your HSN down. We can't really show you how too. So I looked up tunning for your style of engine. and sent you the video so you were able to watch some one actually tune and show how. To do it

Alright thank you I'll be sure to watch it and just wanted to apologize for how I worded those messages.

Alright thank you I'll be sure to watch it and just wanted to apologize for how I worded those messages.
No worries bud I know it's frustrating. Nitro/ gas motor are a pain. You got to have alot of patience. And when you make adjustments. It's only very tiny turns. Of the niddles. We are all here to learn help and grow.👍👍👍👍

Hey everyone I need help with my 2 nitro planes because they seem to be spitting a lot of oil/unburned fuel out of the muffler and it seems like they both need to be properly tuned. Thanks for any advice!
Engines are a tower hobbies .40 size engine and a O.S. engine .46 Max ax. Both 2 stroke nitro.
I would try to get your engine running and very slowly tune the high speed needle leaner and leaner until you find where the engine just cleaned up sound and almost gets peak rpm and then if you find that point just more rich than max rpm then you have to pick up the airplane very carefully with the throttle wide open and point the nose straight up in the air to simulate a climb and you do this because when you climb the fuel has to go up hill and fight gravity more. So once you point the nose up at full throttle you want to hear the engine running just about peak maximum rpm at this point if you have it too lean the engine will stall out or loose rpm when the nose goes up this is a very bad thing so just always make sure you hear that nice clean almost peak but just a tiny bit rich in a climb and just a good little bit rich on the level but not too rich and too slow and don't worry too much about oil and unburned fuel on a nitro plane because that is pretty normal glow airplanes are nasty and oily and have to be wiped down all over after almost every flight
So what you're looking for is just a couple hundred rpm change whe you point your airplane nose up and back to nose straight ahead so that after you take off the airplane won't go too lean and cut off the engine and keep in mind that more altitude you go up the more lean the engine will run so don't get too greedy trying to squeeze every last rpm out of the engine let it start out kinda rich and work your way more lean as you listen to your planes performance in the air if it sounds like it's slobbering rich then lean it out just a click or two and try again
I know you car guys don't expect to see fluid out of the exhaust but plane engines have more than double the oil and less nitro in the fuel so they are gonna spit out some oil everything of mine spits out some oil I wipe it off the tail of the plane every flight but my os speed ronda drake engine has no oil spitting down the car hardly at all when tuned up right so I can't say there's any comparison from cars to planes there

Last edited:
Back