how can you tell when your pull starts is worn out?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blurman18

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
my pull start on my nitro rc buggy slips and doesn't catch some times it dose this off and on does this mean my pull starter is worn out? i have pulled this pull start hundreds of times because i have had carburetor problems and didn't know to much about it then when i finally got it back in tune and running the pull start started malfunctioning

thank you for your time.

I could be wrong, but i dont think it wears out. The way that I know if my pull start wears out is when the pull cord rips.
Not starting could be a different problem. Is the Glow plug ok, Glow plug igniter charged......

i just put a new glow plug in a couple of days ago and the igniter has only been fully charged once when i first got it. i haven't charged it up fully since then do you think its doing this because of misfiring?

If your pull start, roto start, Tiger Drive or any other starter system slips, you need to take it off and clean the OWB and the shaft it rides on with DA and reassemble it. Problem over. :)

Hmmmm. perhaps the engine is flooded?
Is fuel getting to the carb? Hold ur finger on the exhaust hole and pull. See if nitro flows to the carb.

ok but one question what is the "OWB" and "DA"

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Hmmmm. perhaps the engine is flooded?
Is fuel getting to the carb? Hold ur finger on the exhaust hole and pull. See if nitro flows to the carb.

i did that before it got flooded and it got harder to pull so i pulled a bit harder and it that's when i started slipping

OWB: One Way Bearing
DA: Denatured Alcohol

Not to sure. Wait til someone else chimes in.

ok but one question what is the "OWB" and "DA"

---------- Post added at 12:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

i did that before it got flooded and it got harder to pull so i pulled a bit harder and it that's when i started slipping

would the flywheel bolt have anything to do with it if i tightened that would that stop the slipping?

This is the fix to your problem.

If your pull start, roto start, Tiger Drive or any other starter system slips, you need to take it off and clean the OWB and the shaft it rides on with DA and reassemble it. Problem over. :)

The cause is most likely the fact you flooded your engine due to other problems and fuel got down onto the OWB which is causing it to slip on the shaft. Remove the pull start and clean the OWB.

so you can actually just clean them?? sorry but I'm having the same problem right now i was just gona take it out and get a new one but can't for a couple days. LHS is closed till Wednesday. This is the OWB correct??

Attachments

• 20120311132840.jpg
    20120311132840.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 127
yes thats it. i have problems with mine slipping a bit, and think my shaft is worn out. and I'm just getting another bearing anyway as I'm placing an order from the states so its cheap enough anyway.