Hitec X4 Good or Bad?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duramax47

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hey every one. I'm looking at getting a new charger, my passport ultra finally went out after 3 years.

I'm looking at getting the Hitech x4, as I have a lot of nimh and 3cell lipos for my slash 4x4 and Spartan.

I'm getting into helicopters now as well but looking at going no further then 500 series so I only need to charge up to 6 cell lipo. But also need to charge 1 cell lipo for my micro heli's as well. Just wondering if this would be a good buy or not. I like the idea of charging more then one battery at a time.

Thanks every one.

Hitec X4 AC+ 4 Channel AC/DC Charger HRC44167

Last edited:
The only problem that you may have is that you might find the charger kind of under-powered. Charging 4 batts. At once may take just as long as charging them separtly with a single charger. A high powered single charger may actually charge faster. If speed doesn't matter, disregard this.

Brandon

Well I guess charging 4 vs 1 would make me want speed. What would you recommend for a good quality but fast charger if I where to buy one that only charges 1 at a time like your recommending? my pass port ultra was nice but 3 years I'm sure they have come along way with quality and speed for charging. keep in mind I'm looking at 1 to 6 cell lipo and nimh charging. As long as it can do that and be plugged in the wall I'm good. if I have to spend some money on good quality that's fine.

Well, you want an AC/DC charger if you want to plug it into a wall outlet. Hitec makes good single chargers. You'd have to check if they are ac/dc . Charger technology has come such a far way, most modern ones will suit you. I can't really recommend any charger in particular because all I have used is a small turnigy charger ( which I love) . Another thing is, make sure your lipos can be charged at more than one "C", this way if they are, you can charge them in much less time. I'm sure there will be more people on here to help you if this was confusing.. Lol

Brandon

That makes great sense, the only thing I have ever really been confused on is when a battery says 1c or 2c or 3c or so on how you multiply that or whatever you have to do to get the actual amp rate you can charge the battery at. Does that make sense?

I mean I could get another passport ultra again. I guess I'm wondering if their is better then that since its been 3 years that technology as it does advances.

Any other brands that are really good? Maybe thunder power? I ask cause that's what my lhs pushed on me.

Last edited:
Ok let me try to explain "C"rates hahah
Say you have a 7.4V 3000mah lipo. If you were to charge it at one "C" you would set your charger to a 3.0 amp charge rate. More examples;
5400mah=5.4amp
5000mah=5.0amp
easy as that
Now, charging at 2C or 3c would look like this:
5000mah at 2C = 10.0amps.
3000mah at 3C = 9.0 amps
SO if your charging your 6s lipo set the charger to the voltage of a 6s lipo and say 10amps (IF YOUR BATT IS 5000MAH, BUT I DONT KNOW WHAT SIZE YOURS IS SO THIS IS AN EXAMPLE)
You're just doubling the amount of electricity (kinda) , and shortening the charge time.
So make sure the charger charges at a high amp rate (depending on your battery) Hope this helped!!
Brandon

So if I understand you correctly (my example being what I have to charge) if I have a 1cell 3.7 volt - 180mAh 25c micro battery for my heli that has a 2c charge rate I can charge it at 3.6 amps? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yep! I think you got it! Just make sure you don't change the 3.7V.
Note- there is a slightly greater risk of damaging your lipo( which could cause fire) when charging at greater than 1C.( not saying it happens a lot but you never know). Also, I recommend getting a lipo charging sack if you don't have one.

Brandon

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain that to me. That helps me so much, you explained it well. I don't have a lipo sack atm but I plan on getting one along with the charger and new batteries. as we have been talking iv been researching thunder power chargers it looks like they have a good product as well, not sure if any one has used them before though. Do you by chance fly helis Nitro Newbie?

Thanks! I was really hoping that you would understand. And thunderpower
Does make some good ( and pricey) stuff.
I strongly recommend gensacearespammers lipos from hobbypartz.com
With any product you are looking to buy make sure you read reviews.
Also, when it comes to helis, I'm not that experienced. I have a few small ones that I fly around the house but that's it.
Brandon

The guy at my LHS pushes different batteries on me for flight in helis such as e-flight and what not. is their a difference?

Well, for my small xieda heli , I use turnigy nano tech batteries. I don't think theres much difference in most of them. I swear half of them are made in the same factory..

Brandon

So if I understand you correctly (my example being what I have to charge) if I have a 1cell 3.7 volt - 180mAh 25c micro battery for my heli that has a 2c charge rate I can charge it at 3.6 amps? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

180mAh at 2C is 0.36A or 0.3A
3.6A is for 3600mah or 1800mah at 2C

3.6A would give a 20C charge rate for 180mah.

Charge rate is always capacity in mAh / 1000 to give amps (A)
for 2C times A by 2,
3C times A by 3 and so on for higher charge rates.
1C charging is kinder to the battery.

For some of my packs that are capable of 5C, I charge at 0.8 of the max charge rate, If i'm in a hurry. Just my preference i do this.

Last edited:

Actually that would be 20c charging for a 180mAH battery. You mean .36 amps or 360 mA.

Good catch I missed that to, never was the best at math though. thank you!

X4 was this years car action readers choice award...how about that.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Back