High horsepower engine in a savage, what gearing do you run?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I've found it difficult to run anything taller than 16/49 in my savage. I run not huge tires on it (traxxas maxx 3.3) and I cannot keep the spur from melting with any taller ratio than 16/49.

I'm running an LRP28S3. It has plenty more power to pull taller gearing. I really liked the 16/47, but was still a wheely monster. Spur lasted about 1 bash session, then melted the back out where the slipper is. I had it pretty much locked in place.

Anyone have any luck running taller?

I run 18/49 on my STS Savage. Used to run the same gearing when I ran a SH.28 (same as your LRP). I run a 19/44 on my ERCM powered truck.

Not sure why yours is melting. Hows your bell look? Tight mesh can also heat the metal bell and transfer the heat to the spur.

What clutch and bell are you running?? I wonder if its just slipping and the bell is overheating?

I have 2 of those exact engines, both in savages. One is running a 3 spd, 16/49, X length FLM TVP's, and Badlands. The other one has a 2 spd, 17/47 gearing, XL TVP's etc, Terra Pin tires(huge), and an ERCM endbleed pipe. Both trucks wheely forever, and the 3 spd shorter one has actually done some standing backflips.

Both trucks run HPI vented clutchbells, and plastic spurs. I've never ever melted a spur??

My spur is melting in the center. Doesn't have anything to do with the bell/shoe type. I was running alloy shoes with a vented bell at the time. I got a 16T vented bell and went back to the teflon shoes just to give it a bit of slip when I put the 16/49 in it.

Badlands are smaller, so I could see that being ok, the terrapins with 17/47 on the other hand makes me wonder why mine just melts the slipper. I had tried that as well. Melted after a few tanks. I roughed up the slipper disk and pad and was running alloy shoes at the time. I had the spring fully compressed to the point it was starting to deform a bit.

It's fine running around in 1st gear, but when it's in second, on the open in grass, if I really leaned on the throttle, it would nearly pull a wheelie, then the engine RPM's would go up. That's when I knew the slipper just over heated. Sure enough, it was melted.

The teeth of the spur are fine, it's only where the slipper is that melts. I had this issue in the past on other savage's with this engine and ended up landing in 16/49 being the magical gearing that works for me. With that gearing, the spur lasts forever.

Before I used 19/49T on my savage also but no problem at all, and now I changed it to 19/47 still there's no problem of melting. Try to check your mesh.

Well, I've had the issue with 3 savages. Been running nitro rigs for nearly 14 years. I sold two of my savages with the LRP's in it. With the t-maxx/revo tires, anything taller that 16/49 melts the center of the spur.

So either I'm doing something wrong with my spurs or it has to do with how I drive. Although, my buddy tried gearing taller on my old savages and had the same issue, both have LRP28S3's in them like my current X does.

i run goliaths on 3 of my trucks, 2 are 17/52 (LRP and novarossi motors) and the other is 17/47(picco) a set of pitchforks(os30vg) and a set of tractor tread tires that are as big as goliaths, which i believe are from an LST never melted a spur in the middle, although i stripped the gears off a few.

clutch need service, maybe?

Surely there must be an aftermarket slipper available........right?

You can get a steel spur, but you shouldnt be melting them down like that. I had that problem once. In my case it was one clutch shoe hanging, heating up the bell that melted the spur.

Yep, there's a chance of transferring the heat from cb to spur gear that's why its melting. The cb will heat up when it slips too much. For the mesh gear usally it strip the teeth.

Yep, there's a chance of transferring the heat from cb to spur gear that's why its melting. The cb will heat up when it slips too much. For the mesh gear usally it strip the teeth.

Nope,heat does not transfer through plastic fast enough for that. If the bell were hot enough to cause a problem,the teeth would melt way before it reached the center.

I would just run a steel spur and not worry about it. I don't normally say it's necessary,but I put one on when I had nothing else to use and haven't had any issue so it has stayed. I think I'm geared at 15/48 and it wheelies too easily though.

Last edited:
I use the older Savage X style slipper clutch set up. The one that has slipper clutch pads on both sides of the spur gear and the rubber drive cushion. It has seemed to work pretty well for me. I switch between a 17/49 and 16/49 and have yet to melt a spur gear.That's with using an LRP .32 engine

The only thing I can think is that the people that aren't having issues are really locking the slipper down to the point of no slip whatsoever. Which I guess I could do.

Then again, running the lower gearing helps the engine not run hot when in the grass, but the downside is the strain on the axles.

I'm guilty!!! i lock em all the way down then back about 1/4 of a turn

I was having a similar issue running a 16/47 ratio with big joe tires and an lrp .30 in my X. I switched to a steel spur, locked down the slipper and have had no problems since.

Back