hidden body mount?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, on a roll over, the chassis will most likley detatch itself from the body just due to the force of the chassis causing the mags to slide off of each other.

Right on the money. This is more for on-road really. Anything off-road is bound to take an end over end hit and thus would pop the body right off anyways. Great idea of touring cars though!

Yeah, I just assumed that anyone wanting the no-post look was doing on-road since for the most part that's where realistic looks and stuff are wanted most. No way would this be recommended for off-road as roll over would pop the body off... even though those rare earth magnets are way stronger than you think.

I'm trying to figure out a way that would work without risking pulling up paint. You could use a much larger surface area washer to spread the pull force or maybe back a large area on the body around the mount points with a hard stiff laquer or fiberglass. These methods would all reduce the chance of paint pull by spreading the force to a larger area.

You could paint washers to match the paint scheme and use on the outside of the body (no glue really needed though you could go that route).

Hrm.

Holy crap, look at the big brain on Amoeba. Just use a stronger magnet! Er, let me explain.

As pointed out by Lessen and others in this thread, using a metal washer glued to the underside of the body risks ripping paint off if pulling the body up off the magnets on the posts. So instead, use the same setup (strong small disc magnets on flat-topped posts, washers glued to body underside) and use a stronger rare earth magnet as a pull handle. Place the stronger rare earth magnets on the ends of a two-pronged t-handle (or something similar) and use this "RCNT Mag-Pull" tool on outside of body over washers and pull the body off. This way there is no paint risk. The stronger EM field of the pull tool magnet grabs the washers with enough force to overcome the opposing grab from the post magnets. All the pulling force on the washer is then into the body lid and not away, negating any stress on the paint. You would want to align the post & Mag-Pull magnets in opposing poles so all force is on washer and not two rare earth magnets trying to mate through lexan :)

I'll order some 3.2lb and 8lb force neodymium disc magnets to test this out. I'll have to do some testing to find a sweet spot between lid holding force and release grip with the "RCNT Mag-Pull". You also want the body holding force to be strong enough to keep the lid on at WOT speeds but weak enough to pop off without pulling paint on impacts etc.

Assuming it works as I've calculated we may want to ping GH or one of the other fabricators lurking on RCNT about getting these made commercially. EEM's velcro body mounting system shows there is a demand for this kind of mount type so it could be a viable alternative solution and since most post mounts are standardized in distance between posts you limit the need for brand-specific makes.

You can get neodymium disc magnets with very small EM fields (1/16") which also goes a ways towards minimizing potential RF/EM interference though would have to look into the technical specs to ensure it's reasonably safe.

Idea dibs!

Nice find.

A couple points: notice how he taped the magnets on the body and used a sideways sliding movement (not pulling) to remove the body, probably to avoiding yanking his paint off when the tape pulled off. With that particular chassis & body that's a feasible hack but wouldn't work for on-road lids or most other body styles. Also, I saw no shielding. Permanent magnets are constant wave fields so induce no oscillations themselves but any electronics/radio devices nearby (like receivers) which oscillate on their own will have wonky fluctuations/interference from the EM field. If he was using a 2.4Ghz setup it's not as big an issue because electro-magnetic intereference (EMI) only occurs at different wavelength points through the ELF, RF and MW bands and 2.4Ghz radios are frequency-hopping fast enough that any intereference is unnoticeable.

Refining my idea from previously as I learn more, if you embed magnets in the body posts the plastic (or aluminum or any other highly conductive material) the post material itself acts as an RF shield by redirecting the EM wavelength through itself. Think of the post like a donut and the magnet sitting in the donut hole.

*edit: Jesus Christ I am a huge geek. I re-read the above and wonder how I ever managed to get laid.

Last edited:
Yea, you are kind of a nerd. lol.

I got some magnets on order. I'll let yall know how it turns out.