HI outside Air Temp's vs Nitro Engines

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RC/Racer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HI everyone..... OK I need some serious answers to this subject....

I live in Eastern PA about 70 miles East Philadelphia & currently the hole East Coast is in a huge heat wave with outside Air Temps peaking @ 101 deg's @ 1:00pm "Tuesday" with the rest of the week's forecast is temps in the HI 90's with a max to hit 97 degs with the humidity to really suck... Well the other day my 5 Friends wanted to go out & Bash @ our bashing area...This is @ 11:30am & it's already 88 deg's outside I said I'll tag along but I ant going to bring my SLAYER pro 4x4 out.. Well after about 3 hrs of bashing

My Friends Rigs start to break down

Friend #1 Got 2 Lipo battery's to puff really bad

Friend #2 Brushless Motor got so hot it would not turn freely

Friend #3 Could not keep Brushless Motor from overheating &
Fan on ESC had problems running

Friend #4 Nitro Engine on his SAVAGE Let loose Well over 300 Degs
according to heat gun.. "He was Ticked Off Big Time"

Friend #5 Nitro engine started making weird noises & Friend changed Air filter & said the dry dirt & dust clogged it refilled the tank & off he went... 10 min later a hole bunch of smoke coming from body his engine was 370deg's & a hole in bottom of engine " I made a comment " JUST A DIRTY FILTER UHH " he was not happy @ all & yelling & he threw his water bottle clear across the Bashing area " I myself was LMAO @ all my Friends..... They said what's so dam funny OUR rig's are broken... I SAID I TOLD YOU GUYS IT WAS A BAD IDIEA TO COME OUT & BASH IN THIS HEAT....

So that night around 7:45pm temps where down to 82 Deg's the overnight low was forecast 79 with HI humid conditions... I took my Slayer Pro 4x4 out to the Bashing Area with 3 of my Friends who just during the day broke there Rig's... I ran 4 tanks of Nitro through my Slayer & my temps stayed @ Norm or a few deg's higher I said SEE MY RIG RUNS FINE... & Said I am telling you guys the HI Heat today caused 80% of your Problems THATS WHY I DIDENT BRING MY RIG OUT THIS AFTERNOON... I don't Run my Rig's in the mid day summer heat I run mostly in AM HRS "not past NOON & Evenings........

Does any one run there RIG's in HI Heat or Hottest parts of the Day in the Summer time & if you do what problems did occur. I am trying to prove a point to my FRIENDS that HEAT did play a HUGE FACTOR on there issues " please be honest with posting " I plan on showing posts to my Friends

Last edited:
I ran my LiPo in about ninety five degree weather and I only ran the battery half way down went in let eveything cool down and went back out to run the rest of the battery down. With my nitro's I run a tank of fuel then go back in to let cool. I haven't had a problem with anything yet.

Well heck yeah heat will cause problems. Heat is the #1 enemy of any motor or engine. For Electrics in that kind of heat I'll drop a tooth on my pinion and keep my lipos out if the sun. I'll swap them out often to keep them cooler.

A nitro must be richened up in that kind of heat. There is no reason a nitro should ever overheat especially when you have a heat gun on hand. It takes 5 seconds to turn the HSN an 1/8 of a turn and check its temp. Run it a few minutes and check again, richen more if needed.

Tell your friends to listen to you next time and they wont have to spend $200 again.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

---------- Post added at 12:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

Btw you can run in high heat ya just have to adjust gearing or tuning to compensate. And be very watchful of temps. I race in the same weather your in safely, but I make those changes accordingly.

I live in middle ga and deal with very high heat with high humidity every summer. If its not raining its hot as heck and muggy feeling. The heat makes me have to tune different each day. On a 90 degree day here with heat index of 100+ i run my nitros at a richer setting and tame down my driving style alot. I do not make constant wide open runs an try to stay between half and 3/4 throttle for no more than 5-8 seconds. Keep a clean filter for sure and i even run hot plugs and have much better life than mediums. I'm constantly watching temps and at worst my LRP .28 hits 270-275. My picco will hit upwards around 280-290 but my temp gun reads about 15 degrees higher than most others I've tried at that temp. The biggest key in hot weather is a tamed driving style. Avoid full throttle running for long periods of time and run a richer than normal setting. Also make sure you give he engine a 10-15 min rest between tanks or at least let it cool down to 140 or lower before ripping on it again.

I have found that humidity makes them harder to tune, but dry heat doesn't seem to affect them much if you tune for the day. I've run in mid-90's for hours at a time without issue. I only run nitros, but I guess the 5b did ok too last year when I ran it when it was hot out. Just richened them up a bit.

As long as you have proper venting, good fuel and a tad bit richer of a tune, you can run all day long in the 90's.

Granted, the higher temps will really show a worn engines problems or someone who isn't that good at tuning. But with properly maintained and well working equipment, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I tend to not bother when it's so humid that you just instantly start sweating when you walk outside. On those days, the right tune can be hard to find and honestly, if I'm physically uncomfortable... I'm not having much fun anyway.

All of their problems could have been prevented with tuning (even electrics) and taking some breaks to let the motors cool down. I've run my trucks in temps over 100 and haven't had any issues, I just take the time to tune my truck before I really start going at it. IMO, electrics really need a cool down more than nitros do while out bashing, I'll just run my engine a little richer to keep the temps down.

I agree its no big deal at all really to run it hot temps on any given raceday at a track your going to be running off and on all thru the day with temps anywhere from 80 to 100 degrees depending on time of day and where you live.

Yep my race track doesn't cancel because its hot out lol.

It was 97 degrees here last weekend. My nephew and I ran for about 2 hours with our nitro's really had no problems, just richened the high speed a tad and temps were all good.

Major heat wave and I'll be racing Sunday, its been close to 100 all week ugh. No biggie race is only 6 minutes anyhow.

It was 97 degrees here last weekend. My nephew and I ran for about 2 hours with our nitro's really had no problems, just richened the high speed a tad and temps were all good.

Yea well I still get nervous about running my Rig in HI outside temps... I could do the same & Richen up the HSN. But I don't want to take a chance of ruining my engine.....

---------- Post added at 7:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:51 AM ----------

Major heat wave and I'll be racing Sunday, its been close to 100 all week ugh. No biggie race is only 6 minutes anyhow.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2[/

I think HI Temps is all the way around bad for a nitro engine

---------- Post added at 7:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:53 AM ----------

All of their problems could have been prevented with tuning (even electrics) and taking some breaks to let the motors cool down. I've run my trucks in temps over 100 and haven't had any issues, I just take the time to tune my truck before I really start going at it. IMO, electrics really need a cool down more than nitros do while out bashing, I'll just run my engine a little richer to keep the temps down.

Right on point Schrode I told them to take breaks between runs when I run my Rig's I give at least 20 min for cool down.... But I chance over my MAXX or Slayer witch ever one I am running I give the other a chance to complety cool down before running again....

---------- Post added at 7:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:56 AM ----------

I have found that humidity makes them harder to tune, but dry heat doesn't seem to affect them much if you tune for the day. I've run in mid-90's for hours at a time without issue. I only run nitros, but I guess the 5b did ok too last year when I ran it when it was hot out. Just richened them up a bit.

As long as you have proper venting, good fuel and a tad bit richer of a tune, you can run all day long in the 90's.

Granted, the higher temps will really show a worn engines problems or someone who isn't that good at tuning. But with properly maintained and well working equipment, it doesn't seem to be a problem for me. I tend to not bother when it's so humid that you just instantly start sweating when you walk outside. On those days, the right tune can be hard to find and honestly, if I'm physically uncomfortable... I'm not having much fun anyway.

Agreed if your sweating a lot & trying to have fun with your RIG's... Its going to be hard because your thinking of the Hot weather & it's not fun running

+1 to this, I run mine no matter how hot it is. As long as you have a temp gun,theres no need to worry about overheating your engine.

There is nothing wrong with running nitros in heat, you simply tune to your ambient temperature and you can run all day without a hitch. I run the crap out of mine all day in heat, as long as you don't get over 280 or so your fine. That is if you know how to properly tune...

When I used to have nitros, I mostly only ran from 12-4 sometimes a bit later, in summer heat. 90 deg with 60-90% humidity. Like many stated before me, you just have to run them rich. Now with my electrics I follow 5 rules that have kept me out of trouble in the summer heat.

1. Only run in 5minute increments, sometimes less, and check your temp everytime you pause. Once I figure out the settings to keep the temp down ill start driving in 8-10 minute increments, and test temp again.

2. If motor is overheating, first lower any timing you have set whether it is on the can or in the esc. Timing produces alot of heat.

3. If motor is still getting a bit too hot lower tooth count on the pinion.

4.I keep motor temps 140 - 160 or under Sure you *can* go higher on some systems, and ALOT higher on others, but I like to be safe (I know on some systems this may be tough, but I'd rather go slower, and save my electrics, than overheat and need new parts.)

5. CLEAN your brushless motors. Many people think that these motors just go on forever with no maintenance. I open mine and clean it at least once a month. If you want to really take it another step change your bearings to ceramic nitride bearings. Remember any resistance or binding with electric causes heat, so the cleaner, and smoother everything is the better your system will run.

[/COLOR]
Yea well I still get nervous about running my Rig in HI outside temps... I could do the same & Richen up the HSN. But I don't want to take a chance of ruining my engine....

Just pay attention to temps.

Back