Hex OWB bearing in 2 speed transmission problems.

• Thread starter JimmyJamNitroFan
  • Start date

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimmyJamNitroFan

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
OK so I have a nitro HSP Backwash as my first nitro vehicle and recently I blew out my hex one way bearing inside my transmission. I looked and looked for another one in the US but could only find one in China and I didn’t want to wait that long so I ended up buying the entire transmission gearbox from a place located in the US and of course spend more for it since it’s the whole tranny basically.

Well it was the same part number and looked exactly the same but said it was for a Redcat instead but those redcat buggies pretty much look exactly the same as my Backwash so I figured same part number same look same part so I’ll take the risk. Well when I installed it the bottom part that connects to the chassis or whatever needed to be spread apart about an eighth of an inch to get the little guide posts to drop in and set. It still seemed to operate fine. So I take it out today and within half of a tank it blew the bearing again. I’m assuming because it was soundin the same as last time and the wheels are not turning.

So do we think this is something else on my buggy causing this to happen? Is it bad luck possibly? Like a bad bearing to begin with or just bad luck period or is this actually only for a redcat even though it’s the same exact part number and it worked for a bit and blew? Thanks in advance!

In all my years of bashing 2 speed nitro's, I've only had a 2-speed OWB wear out a few times. Once on a t-maxx 2.5 after many gallons and converting to a big block and one, maybe two in my losi aftershock with the LST1 2 speed installed, again after many gallons.

I don't know if redcat has gotten any better, but their quality wasn't known to be very good in past years.

Perhaps you can get the part number off the bearing itself (it's usually stamped on the end of the race), drive it out with a punch/socket and replace just the bearing. I know guys used to do that with HPI pull start owb's. They would find a socket that was the same OD as the bearing, put it in a vice or make a plate so that the bearing could be hammered through the hex through the plate, then would replace with a new OWB like one of these:
https://www.vxb.com/One-Way-Bearings-s/231.htm

In all my years of bashing 2 speed nitro's, I've only had a 2-speed OWB wear out a few times. Once on a t-maxx 2.5 after many gallons and converting to a big block and one, maybe two in my losi aftershock with the LST1 2 speed installed, again after many gallons.

I don't know if redcat has gotten any better, but their quality wasn't known to be very good in past years.

Perhaps you can get the part number off the bearing itself (it's usually stamped on the end of the race), drive it out with a punch/socket and replace just the bearing. I know guys used to do that with HPI pull start owb's. They would find a socket that was the same OD as the bearing, put it in a vice or make a plate so that the bearing could be hammered through the hex through the plate, then would replace with a new OWB like one of these:
https://www.vxb.com/One-Way-Bearings-s/231.htm

Ok thanks for the info. Yea the original had a part number on it for just the bearing itself I will probably try what you said and see what happens with a better quality bearing. The inside of the bearing that holds the actual cylinder bearings is just plastic so we’ll see if I can get one that’s made better! Thanks for the idea! ?

I think of lot of them have plastic in there, which means using heat to install isn't really much of an option, other than heating the thing your hammering into a bit to expand it while freezing the bearing may allow for easier installation. Then when the outer part cools and bearing warms, will make for a tighter fit. May want to put some red or green locktite on it before hammering it in to aid in keeping it from spinning inside the hub.

OK so I have a nitro HSP Backwash as my first nitro vehicle and recently I blew out my hex one way bearing inside my transmission. I looked and looked for another one in the US but could only find one in China and I didn’t want to wait that long so I ended up buying the entire transmission gearbox from a place located in the US and of course spend more for it since it’s the whole tranny basically.

Well it was the same part number and looked exactly the same but said it was for a Redcat instead but those redcat buggies pretty much look exactly the same as my Backwash so I figured same part number same look same part so I’ll take the risk. Well when I installed it the bottom part that connects to the chassis or whatever needed to be spread apart about an eighth of an inch to get the little guide posts to drop in and set. It still seemed to operate fine. So I take it out today and within half of a tank it blew the bearing again. I’m assuming because it was soundin the same as last time and the wheels are not turning.

So do we think this is something else on my buggy causing this to happen? Is it bad luck possibly? Like a bad bearing to begin with or just bad luck period or is this actually only for a redcat even though it’s the same exact part number and it worked for a bit and blew? Thanks in advance!

That is weird ,usually if they go out that quick ,then the o-way bearing is contaminated ,possibly by grease ,if
grease or oil gets in the bearing or on the shaft ,it will cause the bearing to slip An get hot an fry ,an some
of them are those that have the plastic retainer that holds the needle bearings together.

I run a greasless tranny in my Mgt's ,it was the factory grease that fried them!

So when you get another one ,take it apart an clean it out!

I always put a light oil on mine. I soak them in DA, then spin them on a twisted up paper towel that is also soaked with DA to clean them out. Then I put some light oil like 3-in-1 or ARO on them and reassemble. I do that with pull-start and 2-speed OWB's.

I think of lot of them have plastic in there, which means using heat to install isn't really much of an option, other than heating the thing your hammering into a bit to expand it while freezing the bearing may allow for easier installation. Then when the outer part cools and bearing warms, will make for a tighter fit. May want to put some red or green locktite on it before hammering it in to aid in keeping it from spinning inside the hub.

I haven’t taken it apart yet to make sure that’s what happened but I took the old one apart and was able to pop the bearing out and the hex so all parts are free from each other so should be able to just replace the bearing when I confirm that is what happened again. Probably take it apart in the morning and if it is I’ll order one but yea the plastic in there doesn’t give me much confidence. It looks like the link you sent me they have plastic in the same bearing if there’s also. So we’ll see I guess. I will try it all again and fingers crossed the bearing doesn’t blow out again. If it does then something is causing it and I don’t know what Because I put everything back together the way it supposed to be and gear mesh was good. Maybe it was just bad luck or there is a difference between the red cat version and the HSP even though the part number was the same. We shall see. Thanks

If you hadn't replaced the entire transmission and only replaced the 2 speed hub, I would have suggested to get a new shaft that the hub spins on. Typically, anytime you get a new OWB, it's a good idea to replace the shaft it spins on as it wears/gets rough as the bearing wears. So putting a new bearing on an old shaft can cause the new bearing to fail more quickly.

Since you replaced the entire transmission... not sure what the issue is, unless it comes packed with grease from the factory and it's sticking.

Ok so I kind of feel stupid but I’m happy I was wrong. The 42 and 47 gears are pretty much toast. For some reason they stripped out and the bearing was fine. I just swapped the bearing out and put in the original tranny/center diff but have t gotten to run it yet due to being an adult. Lol. That day when it happened it was pretty much sounding and acting exactly like it was when the bearing blew out so I was pushed immediately and didn’t even inspect it. Lol. I’ve had a lot of trouble out of this thing so when it seemed the bearing blew again I was mad as hell, picked it up and went home and put it away lol. Guess I should have investigated before posting but always good to bounce ideas around I guess. So next thing is when I have a day off I will take it out and see what happens. I’m still concerned something is causing these things to go out this fast but we’ll see. I just want to get a savage and be done with this bastard. Lol thanks for the help guys. ???

Back