Help!! XL-2 nitro buggy driving me nutz

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozzza72

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have an XT2 X-Terminator 2 Nitro buggy, about 18 years old I reckon which I have been trying to get working again for a while. I’m not the best at this kind of thing but I’ve managed to replace the steering servo this afternoon which seemed to be the last issue.

Now it is fixed, once started it cuts out straight out when I take the glow plug starter off. Any ideas on this?

The next issue that has now come up is that if I give the car some throttle it doesn’t go anywhere, the engine just revs (this is with the glow started still in the engine :), I just wanted to see if the servo I had fitted had done the trick). The car does jerk a touch forward but that about it.

I have taken a video of both issues but just realised I can’t upload video. I can send over via e-Mail if that would help??

Any help appreciated. Cheers

Check for bad glow plug, too rich, clutch in reverse.

I have an XT2 X-Terminator 2 Nitro buggy, about 18 years old I reckon which I have been trying to get working again for a while. I’m not the best at this kind of thing but I’ve managed to replace the steering servo this afternoon which seemed to be the last issue.

Now it is fixed, once started it cuts out straight out when I take the glow plug starter off. Any ideas on this?

The next issue that has now come up is that if I give the car some throttle it doesn’t go anywhere, the engine just revs (this is with the glow started still in the engine :), I just wanted to see if the servo I had fitted had done the trick). The car does jerk a touch forward but that about it.

I have taken a video of both issues but just realised I can’t upload video. I can send over via e-Mail if that would help??

Any help appreciated. Cheers
You don't really need to engine running to check steering servo. :) Just turn the transmitter and car on, and turn the wheel. :)

For the engine quitting when removing the glow igniter, I would say the same as Alfred. Bad glow plug or running too rich. If the glow plug has not been replaced in 18 years, it might be time for a new one.

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Maybe my thread mislead you a little. The servo is fine now fitted but prior to the new servo being fitted the car started and didn't cut out when the glow plug was removed. Also, the car actually moved forward under acceleration but since I have fitted the servo it doesn't move. I must have done something to it somehow when fitting the servo. I'm getting it back out tomorrow so I'll have another fiddle with it.

Hi
Thanks for the replies.
Maybe my thread mislead you a little. The servo is fine now fitted but prior to the new servo being fitted the car started and didn't cut out when the glow plug was removed. Also, the car actually moved forward under acceleration but since I have fitted the servo it doesn't move. I must have done something to it somehow when fitting the servo. I'm getting it back out tomorrow so I'll have another fiddle with it.
send pics

I have a decent video I took of it running but I can’t post in here.

AA573D6E-E68E-4A0A-A33F-B6987B14836F.png

You can create the video in YouTube and post the link here. It is possible that you have the brake on when increasing the throttle. It looks like the front and back brakes are mismatched in travel.

Yeah, your brakes are on when you throttle up. I would loosen the lock washers and re-adjust them.

Your throttle servo direction on your transmitter is reversed. It looks like it’s hitting the brakes when you’re giving it throttle, when it should be opening up the carbuerator instead.

Ahh I think your are spot on, now you’ve said it I think that’s what it’s doing.
Do I need to turn the servo round the other way?

It’s really hard to tell in that video whether the servo is in the correct position in that video. Maybe someone else can chime in. What I was saying though was your servo is literally going in the wrong direction. When you give it throttle, it should be opening the throttle. When you give it throttle, your vehicle is hitting the brakes. So I think the servo reverse trim on your radio is turn the wrong way.

Yo have just fitted that servo and I’m a useless mechanic 😂
I reckon I’ve fitted it wrong.
Thanks for pointing this out.

No, it's not apply brake when he gives it throttle, the linkage is moving, but it's not applying brake.

I have a feeling between now and when you replaced the servo, things have gotten lubed up and the o-rings in the carb are old/dry/shrunk which allowed them to back out as the engine runs causing it to be pig rich. I've had that happen many times after letting an engine sit for only a year or two. Some would screw the HSN in all the way and go super lean, then die, others would back the screw out until it literally fell out. Just from 5 minutes of running. Never had the issue with the LSN or idle screws though.

Screw the high speed needle in and count the turns. I'm guessing it's going to be more than 3.25 turns.

For the xtm 24.7 break-in settings (rich from factory):
HSN (high speed needle): 3.25 turns from closed
LSN (low speed needle): manual doesn't say, set it flush with the housing.
Idle: 1mm gap when looking down the carb intake

For reference:
2022-0715-xtm247-carbScrews.jpg

2022-0715-xtm247-idleGap.jpg

Back