HELP with new nitro Duratrax 835B Buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buggy_will

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hi guys, I'm new to the nitro rc cars. For the last year I used a friends nitro rc car to play around with and then I finally went out and purchased my own on towerhobbies.com I purchased the duratrax 835B nitro buggy RTR kit, well I got it in and started the break in process. I ran 1 tank of fuel thru the engine and then I had an emergency come up so I had to leave, so I let the engine run the entire tank out and then turned the car off and then went back to the r/c car the next day and can not get it to start back up. I have tried changing the glow plug, I then thought it was flooded so I removed the glow plug and tilted it on its side and cracked the engine. What it does is when everything is on and I pull the cable it sounds great but just wont fire up, theres fuel going to the engine, my glow plug igniter is working, the piston is not seized because I was able to turn it from the flywheel, I just can't get it to start, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

First make sure the glow ignitor is fully charged then remove the glow plug, put it in the ignitor and make sure you have a really bright yellow filament. Put it back in the cylinder head, remove the air cleaner and drop some fuel directly into the carb. Put the ignitor back, turn on the Tx and the Rx and start it. If it keeps running, put the air cleaner back on. If it just runs for a few seconds and then stalls you'll know you have a carb problem. Chances are it's just too rich to run if you didn't make any adjustments during the break in tanks.

First make sure the glow ignitor is fully charged then remove the glow plug, put it in the ignitor and make sure you have a really bright yellow filament. Put it back in the cylinder head, remove the air cleaner and drop some fuel directly into the carb. Put the ignitor back, turn on the Tx and the Rx and start it. If it keeps running, put the air cleaner back on. If it just runs for a few seconds and then stalls you'll know you have a carb problem. Chances are it's just too rich to run if you didn't make any adjustments during the break in tanks.

Ok so I took it out today and did what you said and it fired up and ran for a few seconds and then stalled out, so I tried making some carb adjustments to the HSN and then the idle screw just to see if it would help but still nothing, what do I do now. I am stuck with a brand new rc buggy that does not run and hasn't even made it to the break in process, do I do a warranty claim or is there something else I can try.

Well, just making some adjustments won't make it start. They have to be the correct adjustments.
Read through the thread link below after resetting the carb to factory specs. Also, make sure the tank seals properly and you have no air leaks in the fuel system.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-tuning-tips-and-tuning-flow-chart.60832/

I have no leaks, also the only factory specs I can find is where it says to break in the engine, it states to turn the HSN clockwise till it stops then back it back out 4 full turns, which I have tried and still nothing, I've made no changes to the LSN and I put the idle screw back to where it should be with the 1mm opening in the carb, any other ideas before I have to go thru duratrax or hobby shop
Ok so I took it out today and did what you said and it fired up and ran for a few seconds and then stalled out, so I tried making some carb adjustments to the HSN and then the idle screw just to see if it would help but still nothing, what do I do now. I am stuck with a brand new rc buggy that does not run and hasn't even made it to the break in process, do I do a warranty claim or is there something else I can try.

Well it seemed that my exhaust was unhooked somehow, I got that fixed and it ran for about 10 mins, died out and wont fire back up. I checked everything again and still nothing. I think now I am going to just take it to a shop or send it to Duratrax since it has a warranty, really not happy with my new nitro experience

Unfortunately, Duratrax does not have a sterling reputation in this hobby. You might want to try a more widely supported brand like HPI, Traxxas, Losi or Team Associated.

Well it seemed that my exhaust was unhooked somehow,
Well, that accounts for a leak in the system. You didn't have enough pressure to push the fuel. Now go back to the link above and see about leaning the carburetor as you break it in. You can either do it according to your manual or according to the heat cycle in the link.
Either way, if it's not done correctly you will shorten the life of the engine.

I have no leaks, also the only factory specs I can find is where it says to break in the engine, it states to turn the HSN clockwise till it stops then back it back out 4 full turns, which I have tried and still nothing, I've made no changes to the LSN and I put the idle screw back to where it should be with the 1mm opening in the carb, any other ideas before I have to go thru duratrax or hobby shop

Well it seemed that my exhaust was unhooked somehow, I got that fixed and it ran for about 10 mins, died out and wont fire back up. I checked everything again and still nothing. I think now I am going to just take it to a shop or send it to Duratrax since it has a warranty, really not happy with my new nitro experience
"really not happy with my new nitro experience" well, if that's the case, Welcome to the world of nitro! :)
Joking aside, as for your issue: If I was you, I'd send it back. Even though it's probably just a tuning issue. I'd save up your money and get a more reputable brand like greywolf47 listed. You will get much better service, higher quality parts and spares, more upgrade-ability and more help if you get stuck. As for the fact that your not happy with he experience- unfortunately, with the way nitro works, that's just how it goes. Especially where the weather is very changeable. One minute you'll have it running a dream and the next it'll be a pain to get going. But I can assure you now, once you get used to it's ins and outs, you'll love the hobby for what it is. You're on the way to be a great user of nitro as you followed the best procedures. You broke it in and generally have an idea of what's going on :)

Back