Help with my savage xl 5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluetickduke

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I purchased This from a kid for 350$ with 3 glow plug lighters, all chargers, batteries, and a little fuel. ⛽

(as well as misc parts new in bags)

He said bought it from a guy who didn't know much about it but didn't drive it more than like twice and it sat on a shelf.

It's the 5.9 but he said he couldn't get it to shift past 2nd. He didn't know if it had a 3 speed or not. ? Everything I have found only shows the 5.9xl with 3 speed and reverse? Am I wrong?
IMG_20200423_222411984.jpg

IMG_20200423_222424903.jpg

I know it's the older model cause it doesn't have the big bore shocks (x4) the newer ones had in 2014

The only nitro car I've ever owned was the 3.3 rebel traxxas and this is way different ?

What way should my drill turn to start it? I was told reverse?

Can someone please help me out identifying what I have? ?

Did I get a good deal at 350$?

??‍♂️??‍♂️

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:
Download the manual and check the 3 speed adjustment section. Then you will pop off the top of the transmission and can see what you have in there. If it has reverse, there should be a rod coming out of the front of the transmission and a 3rd servo I think. I never had reverse in a savage... but pretty sure it would have those 2 things.

I have the manual. I see a rod coming out of it. And it ACTS like it has reverse (servo moves that way with linkage) but even with it set to reverse on the controller, it doesn't go in reverse ?‍♂️ which is fine with me I'm more so wondering about the 3rd gear. I swear I hear it catching 3rd gear cause the 2nd comes relatively quick imo

It runs great! I need to tune the idle a little bit but overall I'm pretty happy with everything

Is 350 a bad deal?

You either need to make a mechanical adjustment to the reverse shift or your idle is too high to allow it to shift in. Once the idle and tune is correct you can adjust your shift points to where you like them. If it goes from 2nd to 3rd so quickly that you can't hear it, you're losing some good acceleration in 2nd.

It runs great! I need to tune the idle a little bit but overall I'm pretty happy with everything

Is 350 a bad deal?
If your happy, then it's probably not a bad deal. ;)

I have a modified X for sale for $300 shipped, $240 local pickup. It's been listed a couple weeks. Has mildly used LRP30S2 in it, super HD axles/shafts, 4 big bore plastic shocks, sintered BP diffs, alloy rear hub carriers, 1600mah receiver pack, $200 worth of aftermarket servos, throttle linkage mod, 125cc fuel tank, 2 speed trans, CF brakes, aftermarket 17mm hubs. Needs transmitter/receiver/fuel. To me, $300 shipped seems low for all that, yet I get offers on facebook for $150.

I have the manual. I see a rod coming out of it. And it ACTS like it has reverse (servo moves that way with linkage) but even with it set to reverse on the controller, it doesn't go in reverse ?‍♂️ which is fine with me I'm more so wondering about the 3rd gear. I swear I hear it catching 3rd gear cause the 2nd comes relatively quick imo

Are you sure you're not looking at the brake rod/ linkage? Reverse is an option, not a standard feature.

No, I'm absolutely not sure of what I'm looking at

???‍♂️??

This is the brake lever...

Attachments

• 20200424_175619.jpg
    20200424_175619.jpg
    211.3 KB · Views: 120
if you are happy with it thats all that counts, HPI made a great rig when they made the savage, and just kept getting better as time went on. i have heard good and bad about the 5.9, but as long as you take care of it should take care of you.

I know on my Mgt. ,if I have the engine set too rich ,it struggles to shift in second ,so like Rolex suggested ,make
sure that the engine is tuned!...

Nice truck ,I love the 5.9 engine ,however ,I did have to smear some silicone over the mix meter screw ,
they are prone to leak where it screws into the housing!....:thumbs-up:

This build is brushless electric but I used a Savage 2 speed trans with reverse. 3 servos through the center... on the far left is a standard servo for the shifter from forward to reverse, then the MONSTER servo for steering and on the right is the mini servo for the brake.

hb5d-jpg.16066

Yeah I have no idea ?‍♂️

It's alot of fun though.

I'm a wait till this wwz blows over and bring it up to hobby shop and see what I have for a transmission

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Thanks for the feed back everyone!

Yea no problem!...:cool:

Here is a vid that explains what a couple of us was talking about on the tune of the engine effecting your shift points!
Now the 5.9 engine is a huge engine an has a lot of power ,tuned right ,it turns the truck into a wheelie monster , in
this vid ,ihe didnt tune it that far ,but you can still see the difference that it made in the shift point!

This build is brushless electric but I used a Savage 2 speed trans with reverse. 3 servos through the center... on the far left is a standard servo for the shifter from forward to reverse, then the MONSTER servo for steering and on the right is the mini servo for the brake.

hb5d-jpg.16066
That's not a savage transmission. That's a revo 2.5/3.3 transmission with reverse. Did you post up the wrong photo?

That's not a savage transmission. That's a revo 2.5/3.3 transmission with reverse. Did you post up the wrong photo?
Okay, so I screwed up. I was doing conversions on 2 of my Savages at the same time I was building this. I had gotten a whole box of Revo parts from a guy on eBay that I needed for the HummVee build and I used that trans instead of one from a Savage. Am I still expected to remember what I did several years ago? I don't remember what I did yesterday.
So, not the wrong photo, just the wrong side of the brain.

Back