help with 12th tribute build

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the13bats

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
20200809_204952_copy_1526x835.jpg

This is one of several my OCD ADD mind is on right now,

Back story,
Late 70s early 80s dad gets me for Christmas one of those latrax vettes,
It was high toy level but fast and i had a blast,

So dad wanted to do a new body i guess he grabbed this as he had an early TA/firebird all decked out, dad is gone but the build has sentiment value to me.

The latrax base is long gone but i have the body and I've been doing builds around bodies,

So i need a 12th scale, preferable old school vintage,
And did any have suspension, irs rear?

How about nitro 12?

I just never paid any attention as to what 12 offered,

Rc12 would work. It has the tbar out back..but you could fab up an irs if you re all want one. Use the same king pin set up as the fronts and lock the knuckles so they dont turn. Put some washers between upper and lower and you can use longer springs to have better travel? Its an idea. Lol if you want to stay pan car.

If not try a m-06 or m-07 tamiya chassis. Thats 1/12 with adjustable wheelbase and IRS rear. Guess m05 is FWD and 6,7 rear wheel. They market 1/10 scale. But look at the dimensions...they may work for you.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58460m06pro/index.htm

Last edited:
The tamiya is nice but more than i need for this one,
Ill likely use an associated 12i or l

Besides the rc500 i wasn't much into on-road in the day,
I do recall full irs on some cars, i do not recall scale ( 12 or 10 ) or brand, they might have been homemade, lots of guys made parts,

i remember one that had unequal length rear axles,
Or the dirt oval cars that were purpose built with long arms on the left, fun days.

The tamiya is nice but more than i need for this one,
Ill likely use an associated 12i or l

Besides the rc500 i wasn't much into on-road in the day,
I do recall full irs on some cars, i do not recall scale ( 12 or 10 ) or brand, they might have been homemade, lots of guys made parts,

i remember one that had unequal length rear axles,
Or the dirt oval cars that were purpose built with long arms on the left, fun days.
Definitely hope you find a good medium and comeback and show it..lol. I am horrible for finishing stuff and forgetting to comeback and share. I bet most them was custom made. Due to the nature of dirt oval.

Yeah doc, i saw that one, i like it, not a top shelf pretty build but it has heart, would be a great base for my tribute build,

Unless BIN i seldom use ebay any more but do get a big laugh over what some think their old school RC will fetch, not that some collectables dont have a great going rate however just because something is vintage and "RARE" is stated in caps doesn't make it worth gold.

Bitd at the local track, the stock classes had a lot of grasshoppers, hornets, frogs, etc if a rc10 was entered and the owner could drive at all they would lap the tamiya stuff,

rc10 was it in the modded classes and i dont recall their rules but for example the off road buggy modded class had a cat who ran a full body 60s mustang, he actually did okay, the dirt oval had sprints the baddest fastest or the full bodies, like outlaw wedges or my vette body, some of those guys hid their mods from each other, one guy i thought was old, lol younger than i am now made wood A arms, packed his trans with white toothpaste and other odd stuff and did very well,

The only non rc10 based modded car i recall was a fox with so many mods it was almost an rc10 itself, the owner was a nice fellow who said he wanted to run something different.

They had a 10th drag strip that had guys shooting rockets with wheels down it.

My club took off which required me on race nights and that ended any racing for me but i did go as far as working for fun at a shop part time,

These builds are in a way 30 years waiting to happen,
I do when i have updates on a project make them, my OCD ADD etc has me doing a lot of stuff all at once, thing is what i find interesting is a tiny nitch cult in this hobby, so there is very little interest, normally i post a long winder and its crickets and tumbleweeds,

I'm missing some of my old junk i need for the 58 vette bomber rally car, never found it all after my first move in 46 years,
The rc10 dirt oval nitro c3 vette went along very well, I'm leaning towards leaving it looking like built in an RC junkyard,
I liked how it went together so well i would like to do an electric conversion version, building on a rc10gt rear would give me mid engine, and i saw a cool 70s camaro body to use, but run old school esc etc

Back on the nitro build i pulled it down to bare pan to do some cleaning them rebuild and test run,

I had some hang ups over the wheels and tires,
These on it look good to me, they worked okay for playing around but if 1:1 would be pretty big,

Heres a few pics,
The stripped gold pan i use for mock ups, then there is the gt pan,
Those wheels and tires still hang out of the wheels but not too badly,
Perhaps as covid allows life to go back to normal ill see if there is a local track with a bomber class that doesn't ruin the fun with rules.

20200813_043548_copy_1503x980.jpg20200813_043623_copy_1097x877.jpg20200803_164817_copy_1371x1130.jpg
This last pic is with wide front arms stock goldie arms helped a lot,
20200802_235815_copy_1807x630.jpg
This 58 is just sitting on a DS the body is a mess a buddy hacked it when new then gave it to me rather than pay me $$$ he borrowed,
I can clean up the rough cuts and use and airbrush to give it more of a bomber racer look than the hack build look it now has,
I'm not sure a 2 seater would be allowed in a bomber class

Cheers
b

Back