Help Upgrading Rustler 4x4 brushed with Castle Creations 1410 3800kv

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superticky

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, so my wife has her eyes on the new beautiful Rustler 4x4 but hesitant in spending $400 for casual bashing in short grass and dirt with me and my kids (we all own a rc basher except for her)

However, I remembered I have a brand new Castle Creations 1410 3800kv sensorless brushless motor in the box with no use from a friend who gave it to me for my RC10T4.3 but it didn't fit well.

Would it be a good fit for the Rustler 4x4 ? It's for 2S casual bashing with the kids and 4x4 certainly helps for the short grass terrain in the park where we go. I already checked 2WD options but people say this motor would be overkill for a 1/10 2WD.

How about getting a brushed Rustler 4x4 for $250 and upgrade it with this CC1410 3800kv ?

I would only need to buy an ESC and I already have some pinions to test gearing and temp.

I was looking into the Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 for around $50 since the motor is sensorless and she would run with 2S only. Any other good budget ESC to handle the CC1410 ?

We wouldn't look in more than 30mph to be honest, 35mph at the most. It's just for fun with the kids with some little races in the dirt.

This would lower the price of a brushless stock by $100 and people say the CC 3800kv is very nice, I have never used it but I want to make sure this is a right fit.

Thank you guys for any comments or recommendations !

I was looking into the Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 for around $50 since the motor is sensorless and she would run with 2S only. Any other good budget ESC to handle the CC1410 ?

The Sidewinder escs have weak Becs (the cheaper ones 5v) with the stock 2075 servo should be fine but I would get a Hobbywing esc like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Redca...sc:USPSFirstClass!36109!US!-1:rk:81:pf:0#rwid (80a RTR Max10 version) I run this one in a 2wd Rustler with the VXL motor on 2s and 3s no issues.

The Sidewinder escs have weak Becs (the cheaper ones 5v) with the stock 2075 servo should be fine but I would get a Hobbywing esc like this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/Team-Redca...sc:USPSFirstClass!36109!US!-1:rk:81:pf:0#rwid (80a RTR Max10 version) I run this one in a 2wd Rustler with the VXL motor on 2s and 3s no issues.

I saw hobbywing has new models, so the options I saw:

new model Ezrun Max10 60A Sensor Less for $55
new model EzRun MAX10 SCT 120A for $80
old model EZRUN SC8 Waterproof 120A for $63

Is it better to get a 120A cause I'm using 4x4 on a 4 pole high kv motor on grass even using only 2S ? or would a 60A do the work fine without overheating ?

In case of 120A would it be worth getting the new MAX SCT model instead of the old SC8 model ?

Thank you again !

I saw hobbywing has new models, so the options I saw:

new model Ezrun Max10 60A Sensor Less for $55
new model EzRun MAX10 SCT 120A for $80
old model EZRUN SC8 Waterproof 120A for $63

Is it better to get a 120A cause I'm using 4x4 on a 4 pole high kv motor on grass even using only 2S ? or would a 60A do the work fine without overheating ?

In case of 120A would it be worth getting the new MAX SCT model instead of the old SC8 model ?

Thank you again !

The 60a could work on 2s but if it was me a little bigger esc than needed would not hurt one bit less worry about overheating. The 80a I mentioned is a lower amp version of the 120a Max 10. For motors like the Castle motors with the long wires and where the esc is mounted close to the motor I would prefer a esc where the wires plug directly into the esc less excess wire (but yes wires can be trimmed and resoldered).

As far as which one to choose ask yourself would I rather have a esc thats just enough? or one thats more than enough and ready for a possible change to a larger motor?

As for me I like the Max 10 (120a) but the SC8 is a good esc also I would say which one you choose between the two comes down to personal preference.

I was going to say that ,might want an 80 or a 120 ,but I don't know too much about the brushless ,
however ,I did have a 60 amp for a street car an I thought it to be a little too weak for 3's after I
went with 3's to run my E-Ld3 ,the 60 amp popped on a collision ,an I want to get a 80 to 120 amp!...:thumbs-up:

Thank you ! very good points. So far the Hobbywing EZRUN SC8 is my favorite option based on all your comments and price. Only thing is it comes with long cables for the motor which I don't need cause the motor already has long cables. I will have to cut some cables to avoid excess of cabling. Max10 comes with the connectors instead to plug motor cables directly, that's a convenient plus I think.

I run the castle sct sv3/3800kv system in my 4x4 stampede VXL. Just started running on 3S and it seems fine so far. Have only run it a couple times, but I ran it hard and in the grass when it was 75F outside for multiple packs without issue. I'm running 11/54 gearing I think with proline 2.8" trenchers and MIP X-Duty cvd's. I had been running 2S with 13/52 gearing until now. I wanted more speed... lol

I also run a cheap $12 5A 6V BEC as the sct esc only puts out 5V.

You may want to check on some things in the rustler 4x4 brushed vs brushless. Traxxas did some tricky stuff by having different gearing in the diffs for the 4x4 brushed stampede vs the brushless stampede. I don't know why... guess they had to reeeeaaally gear it down for brushed. Regardless, that could add to your cost if they did the same on the rustler.

That said, the sct/3800kv system should work fine in it if you don't go nutty with gearing. In my 4pede vxl, my vxl-3s/3500 traxxas system would thermal on me when I ran 54/14 in the grass with 2.8" chevron tires if I ran 2 7200mah 2S packs back to back. However, the castle sct sv3/3800kv would give me the same speed on 13/54 and more with 13/52 and even more with trencher 2.8's and still run pack after pack after pack without fail. It would get hot if I tried 14/54 and the trenchers, which is why I'm giving 3S a shot.

Back