California Help Tuning Engine in San Diego

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Usually ,first spur gear is always locked in ,2 & 3rd gears are usually screwed or mounted to a centrifical hub ,they usually
do have an adjustment to time the engagement ,threw a pressure spring!

Looking at some of your pics ,the first gear on your bell might even be a tooth too small ,does those gears come apart or
threaded onto the clutch bell?

Yup my transmission is exaclty as you described @cbaker65.

Only the first gear on the clutch bell is threaded onto the clutch bell. The second and third one are just compressed and held in place by the clutch bell gear. Right now this has red loctite because it came off twice.

Yup my transmission is exaclty as you described @cbaker65.

Only the first gear on the clutch bell is threaded onto the clutch bell. The second and third one are just compressed and held in place by the clutch bell gear. Right now this has red loctite because it came off twice.
the second gear should just be adjustable to where you tighten a grub screw in 1/4 turn increments. it increases tension on a spring that hold the dawg in until that tension is overcome with centrifugal force. might just need a 1/4 -1/2 turn adjustment.
if there are two adjustment grub screws, make sure they are tightened the same amount.

@D3MON : I agree with you. This is my suspicion! I can move slowly using the first gear. But if I re up, I believe second gear is comin in too early. I have two options to troubleshoot: Put on a new transmission I have as a spare. Or tighten down the centrifical hub so that second gear never comes into play. If I can hit the throttle fin and do wheelies, that was my issue. My manual says it's possible to skip second gear this way, if the timings are screwed up.

I got tit to get to third gear a few times...it rips! Very excited, thanks to all of you guys! I'm glad you guys are patient and able to show others your knowledge so that this hobby could be continued.
and not a problem! i love this hobby, especially the nitro side. getting others into it and helping them along just brings the hobby further! more people to enjoy it with.
nothing like the feeling when a nitro has a perfect tune and launching ramps and bashing around!

The gear only has one set screw, I will re tighten it and take out for a spin hopefully tomorrow!

I really appreciate the help. No one around me is running nitro, all electric. I wanted a nitro growing up but didn't afford one. And now I can so I chose nitro instead of electric!

The gear only has one set screw, I will re tighten it and take out for a spin hopefully tomorrow!

I really appreciate the help. No one around me is running nitro, all electric. I wanted a nitro growing up but didn't afford one. And now I can so I chose nitro instead of electric!
it doesn't take much on the adjustment screw, try in small steps. once the gearing is tuned in correctly shouldnt have the problem again and the smooth transition will be amazing. might need to adjust the 3rd speed as well when you get 2nd dialed in.

i was about the only one that i knew that was into RC's started with a HPI Wheely king, then i found my LHS Owner was selling a T-Maxx so i bought his, bought a cheap brushless shortly after which i ended up only using to beat on. Gave my maxx to my brother and got a MGT on ebay. more recently got back into running rc's after about 10 years off.
electrics are fun but Nitro is the best imo. lots of tinkering and thats half the fun for me.

@D3MON: What do you think caused it to go lose? Vibrations?

So I'm assuming I will need to make small adjustment, reassemble, test run, make adjust, reassemble? Any shortcut? haha

I will get an electric one day, the Xmaxx looks nice. But on the other hand the losi 1/5th scale looks freaking awesome!

Well you seem to be sharp even after 10 years!

would you be able to get a picture of where the adjustment screw is? if its under something even just an arrow pointing where its at.
i know on my MGT there is a little hole just big enough for a driver to stick in there and adjust.

The adjustment screw is under the gear, I need to slide them out. It possible to do so without taking it off the chassis and realigning the mesh. I forgot this was possible:

Attachments

• 20190503_152108.jpg
    20190503_152108.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 188
Last time when I replaced the gear it was really tough to slide the first gear off. Hopefully I can do it without taking it off the chassis. Manual:

Attachments

• 20190503_152321.jpg
    20190503_152321.jpg
    446.2 KB · Views: 195
Back