Help needed upgrading a 1/8th scale £50 rock crawler off ebay

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoRc

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm wanting to put some 1/5 scale wheels on my rockcrawler I got off eBay.

It's for a filming project and I need big wheels.

My question is how would I do that?

The new wheels have a 22mm hex..

The current set up has some strange factory hex adapter and I think it is 8mm. And the axle is 6mm. I presume I need to make some new axles with 22mm hex on the end? Is that correct?

I would like to upgrade the motors and batteries too, could someone recommend some better ones?

The current motor is a cylinder and measures 21mm by 31mm.

Any help really appreciated, I'm a noob with this so I've tried my best to have a look online but I don't really know what will work.

Thanks

IMG_20210308_170919418.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210308_170943755.jpg
    IMG_20210308_170943755.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 50
That to me does not look like a hobby grade rc.8mm. . most 1/10 scale hobby uses 12mm.. some 1/8 scale uses bigger.. now you want to go from 8 to 22 . make a adapter is best bet. you changing the cg with the wheel size alone is going to make that top heavy now adding even a few ounces via a camera will even make it more top heavy unless you put a out rigger on it to hold cam..

That to me does not look like a hobby grade rc.8mm. . most 1/10 scale hobby uses 12mm.. some 1/8 scale uses bigger.. now you want to go from 8 to 22 . make a adapter is best bet. you changing the cg with the wheel size alone is going to make that top heavy now adding even a few ounces via a camera will even make it more top heavy unless you put a out rigger on it to hold cam..
Hi thanks for your reply, I was thinking just make a new axle with 22mm hex on it, but I don't know where to get the hex hubs from?

Also do you know what motor I could replace it with?

Also you're right it's not hobby grade, but it's for a film project so just needs to move really.. it won't be mounting a camera.

Thanks,

Nick

If the wheels won't have to support a massive load you can maybe pour resin around the stock nuts to make it fit in the larger 22mm using plastic wrap on the inside of the wheel to make a mold

Back