Help me win the race I can't lose!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

se7en11

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi all

I'm completely new to RC cars and still yet to make a purchase but I'm 100% ready to commit! I just have one problem... the reason why I'm buying an RC car (other than for the sheer joy of it) is because my father just bought one (literally 2 minutes before I started writing this) and as he hit the checkout button he made the comment "if you buy a car and beat me on our first race, I'll pay for your purchase"... I'm 90% sure he was bluffing but I'm definitely going to call his bluff and take his cash!

So my question is... what should I buy to give me the best chance of winning and getting my money back?

The rules:
  • Off-road race (dirt track)
  • Petrol powered
  • Approx $1000AUD spend (incl. any mods/upgrades)

What my father bought:
Screen Shot 2020-04-04 at 5.36.06 PM.png

King Motor Ready To Run Blade 36cc 1/5 Scale 2WD RC Buggy

KM-BLADE SPECIFICATIONS:
  • Air cooled, 36cc Engine
  • 8000 RPM clutch.
  • LxWxH: 817x480x320mm
  • Rear vented disc brakes.
  • Adjustable #1191 Walbro carburetor with choke and prime button.
  • Large Bore Shock Absorbers.
  • Large fuel tank provides a run time of approximately 45 minutes
  • Tire Track: Front 395mm/ Rear 400mm
  • Max Speed: 80km/h
  • Grey Fire Chassis - 6061 Billet Aluminium
  • Orange alloy parts
  • New upgraded polyamide / nylon material for many components
  • Poly Carbonate material for body
  • Silver/Orange Suspension
  • Orange beadlock
  • Pioneer Tyre

Few considerations:
  • I like the idea of buying a clone for the most bang for buck. I tend to buy into the philosophy that I will break it so no point in trying to buy something that will last forever - count on needing to repair/upgrade
  • I've looked at King Motor and Rovan for Clones.. not sure if there are any others but these seem to be the main players
  • If the above KM Blade 36cc is just about as good as they come I could look to spend a couple hundred on upgrades so any comments on the best initial upgrades would be great!.. I would love to rock up with the same car (slightly modified) and beat him :)

No doubt I've left some critical detail out, however, any advice at all would be greatly appreciated as I'm currently basing my decision on desktop research rather than any real-life experience.

Thanks in advance

Mine Is electric. U said 36cc my massive helicopter is 15cc and that's huge

Hi Micheal, thanks for the feedback... I had an inkling that might be the case - so basically to summaries, power really isn't the issue or something to focus on improving when you're looking at 36cc, traction (and I'm assuming stability/control) are key factors that will have a tangible impact on performance on the track over and above additional power. With that in mind, a tyre upgrade could make all the difference - is there anything else that you (or others) would recommend in terms of upgrades to improve offroad traction, stability and control with bang for buck being a key consideration?

Hi BobP, thanks for the link... I love the look of the Losi dbxl and definitely considered it as an option - excuse the ignorance but I was leaning more towards clones due to the options available with increased motor size/power - in light of the above from Michael, I see that this isn't necessarily as important as I thought.

Do you have any experience or thoughts on lower-powered vehicles with greater traction/control vs higher-powered? Is there anything to say that something like the Losi dbxl would actually have better traction/control than a KM Blade or other clones? I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a clone with a larger capacity motor and then focusing any upgrades on stability and control?

Hi BobP, thanks for the link... I love the look of the Losi dbxl and definitely considered it as an option - excuse the ignorance but I was leaning more towards clones due to the options available with increased motor size/power - in light of the above from Michael, I see that this isn't necessarily as important as I thought.

Do you have any experience or thoughts on lower-powered vehicles with greater traction/control vs higher-powered? Is there anything to say that something like the Losi dbxl would actually have better traction/control than a KM Blade or other clones? I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a clone with a larger capacity motor and then focusing any upgrades on stability and control?

Also remembering that the Losi would set me back $1,500 AUD - for the same money I could get a 36cc clone and spend $500 on upgrades.. that seems like a good option... (?)

You might try checking out the sister forum to this one called "LargescaleForums.com", it is primarily for the 1/5 rigs, lots of very informative people and lots of knowledge to be had there too! I believe your login information from here works on that site as well!

You might try checking out the sister forum to this one called "LargescaleForums.com", it is primarily for the 1/5 rigs, lots of very informative people and lots of knowledge to be had there too! I believe your login information from here works on that site as well!

Thanks D3MON! that's great to know... I'll give it a try

I have and run a losi dbxl 2e it will destroy any 2wd buggy alsone.. you will be able to exit a turn much faster that a 2wd.. only short coming is run time...I get 38 minutes of run time a gas buggy will have closer to a hour..go with the losi DBXL 2 E

Does it have to be 1/5 scale. A losi 8x would definitely destroy that big pig. They on sale on horizon right now. 40%off
BEFF963A-6C43-41F3-BB7C-7807385D4904.png

With that6061 chassis on his you’ll be able to beat it with anything when it bends??

Back