help! i can't get my new car to start!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pudniskool

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
i just bought the hpi nitro firestorm 10t yesterday, and i just can't get it to start, this is my first nitro car and i kinda hav no clue wat I'm doing, so any help would be greatly appreciated

my pullstart is kindof locked up and very hard 2 pull(except wen i take out the glow plug, then its very easy) and when i test the glowplug, the top ring doesn't light up, do i need a knew plug? or is there a problem with the igniter?

I've tryed taking out the glow plug and unless I'm doing sumthing wrong, it doesn't seem to do anything except make the pullstart easy to pull

Did you charge the igniter long enough? Often the first charge is an overnight or at least a 5 hour charge.
Removing the glow plug will not let it start. It needs to be in the engine with the igniter on it.
Prime the engine, either by plugging the exhaust and pulling the starter till you see fuel reach the carb, or blowing into the line from the muffler. Reinstall that line before starting it.

Did you charge the igniter long enough? Often the first charge is an overnight or at least a 5 hour charge.
Removing the glow plug will not let it start. It needs to be in the engine with the igniter on it.
Prime the engine, either by plugging the exhaust and pulling the starter till you see fuel reach the carb, or blowing into the line from the muffler. Reinstall that line before starting it.

i kno it wont start without da glow plug, and i hav a battery operated igniter, ill try blowing into the muffler, because i think part of my problem is I'm not gettting enough fuel 2 the engine

don't blow into the muffler that would leave a not so good taste in ur mouth take the line off/out of the muffler and blow into that it works for me every time...also saves ur arm from all the pulling to get the fuel to the engine.

ok thanks, and i was planning on using the line, but thanks for confirming it 4 me

no problem i made that mistake wen i got my first car last spring after i had it runing a guy at my lhs told me to blow in the muffler to prime it so i did and it took me like two days to get the taste of burnt nitro out of my mouth.

that sux, haha sorry u had 2 go through that, and thanks for saving me from it

lmao, well to be honest I've never tryed it, and on the bottle of fuel, it says may cause blindness if swallowed? i dont understand that, i jus thought it was funny hahaha

lmao, well to be honest I've never tryed it, and on the bottle of fuel, it says may cause blindness if swallowed? i dont understand that, i jus thought it was funny hahaha

i think its due to nickle poisoning.

What engine is in your Firestorm? I had a similar problem with my Savage and thought I was going to have to send the engine back. It's my first big block and come to find out they're really tight at tdc. I used a heat gun to pre warm the engine and finally got it to fire. I also ditched the pullstart. I had to heat the motor for the whole break in. Hope this helps.

its a g 3.0 smallblock engine
and i have tryed heating it with a hairdryer but that doesn't work, but its all good now because my friend, who is like an expert, is coming over tomorrow to help me, so thank you for all your help guys!

I've got a MT2 with that mill and trust me, you'll want to get a rotostart for it. You should be able to get it broke in but that motor will get harder and harder to start. I dont know why because they seem like good little motors but they can be a biaa to start. Have fun with it.

ok, thanks, and I'm thinking about getting a rotostart, any advice on where to buy one?

That's odd, it's the taste of burnt nitro that keeps me in this hobby.

Sure isn't coming from that shelf-queen you call a Savvy...

...but its all good now because my friend, who is like an expert, is coming over tomorrow to help me, so thank you for all your help guys!

Let us know if you are still having issues after your buddy looks it over.

Your glow plug might be burned up. if you have a rechargable glow plug igniter make shure its fully charged if ita a battery glow igniter make shure they are fresh. also if it is hard to pull the pull start and it is locked up that means its flooded. turn the engine upside down with the glow plug taken out and pull the pull start a couple of times then put the glow plug back it (first make shure it is good) then make shure you glow igniter is charged or has fresh batteries stick the igniter in and FIRE IT UP :D hope this helped bud

-Patrick

Back