Help choosing Lipo Battery

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frpp2003d

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok so the guys at the local shop were helping me figure out what to do to the summit. This truck has been giving me hell since min. one its been opened from the box. Both steering servos gone right off the bat, now the motor blew and its hardly been used. Well they said why not go with the Velineon brushless setup since its waterproof. And use MaxAmp lipos, recommended 3s 5250mah. My question is since I was going to piggy pack the paks and run two batteries since MaxAmp sells a step that way, can I run a bigger 3s lipo from maxamp? They offer several larger ones, but can the motor handle this?? Help please before I order.

Just a quick adjustment to my post, I found MaxAmp sells a 8000mah 3s2p 11.1v lipo. since its still the same volt and still 3cell can it be used in the summit with the esc and motor I'm looking at? Can i run piggy back? Hope so bc this looks like a killer setup

Yes, you could use the 3 Cell 8000 maH battery with a VXL system. The ESC is called the VXL-3S. So, any battery out there equal or less than 3 cells will work fine. Anymore and I'm not sure what would happen honestly. Never tried.

What charger are you going to use? Also, IMO, I would stay away from maxamps. I have used them a couple of times, and have been thuroughly dissatisfied. You can easily run a 3s with the velenion system, but i would NOT run it in the water. I dont care what Traxxas says, that ESC is NOT waterproof. I have run many sets of Venom lipos in 2s and 3s format, and i love them.. The few maxamps ones I've had, have began to swell within the first 10 charges. That is balancing at LEAST every other charge. and i didnt run these batteries hard at all. I have beaten the piss out of all of the venom batteries i have owned, and have only had one problem with them. I had one begin to swell on me while trying to drive it in deep grass with the slash and holding the throttle WTFO.

Just called traxxas and they said the velineon isn't ment for the ervo or the summit. So I guess I'm staying with the traditional setup. Any case I saved money bc the Titan 775 motor is gonna only cost 30.00 to replace.

You might look into a Novak HV brushless system or a Castle Creations Monster Max Brushless system, they are not water proof but will make your rig haul some major ass, besides water and electronics don't really mix all that well any way.

There aren't any truly waterproof ESCs on the market. Most are water resistant to some degree. I wouldn't recommend submerging them in water.

No I wasn't submerging my trucks just running the summit through a few large pits we built and filled with water. The water would hit maybe half up the tire but I still managed to blow the motor. I also will admit I dont take proper precaution with cleaning the motors and oiling them. That has changed as of now, I'm going to put the stock titan back in the summit but want to put a brushless into my erevo now. Talked to one of the main guys, said I should consider Tekin system for the truck. Watched a few vids and all I can say is wow. And I'm considering running 2 paks of 3s at 11.1v 8000mah. I'm guessing its gonna scream, well can only hope so.

For got to ask any other recommendations of what lipos to use? I dont have a charger yet so recommendations on that would help too. I know this is gonna cost me way more than the motor and esc. Money really isnt a issue at the moment, I'm willing to spend the money if it means me being satisfied in the long run.

Back