Hello in need of some help nitro rc upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Connor529

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have the ftx torro and am looking to upgrade engine from force .18 to somthing .21 what engine will fit fine and give the car more power pretty new to the hobby and I dont want to buy an engine thats not the right size or even right side plz give me some help dont wanna pay any more then £110 am in uk

Most .21 engines are going to be big block, there aren't many .21 options for you, and none that are 110 or less that I am aware of. O.S. makes a .21 with a small block footprint, but it's close to 300 USD. I don't know the specs on the Force .18 (I think that's an SH engine if not mistaken), but going to a Dynamite .19 Mach 2 might be your best option if your looking for a power increase. Those put out close to 2hp.

Most .21 engines are going to be big block, there aren't many .21 options for you, and none that are 110 or less that I am aware of. O.S. makes a .21 with a small block footprint, but it's close to 300 USD. I don't know the specs on the Force .18 (I think that's an SH engine if not mistaken), but going to a Dynamite .19 Mach 2 might be your best option if your looking for a power increase. Those put out close to 2hp.

https://www.cmldistribution.co.uk/p...-twenty-one-21-3-port-nitro-engine-n-ps-turbo am looking at somthing like this but am not sure if it will fit ???

i do believe force makes their own engines, i know HPI, OFNA, and another uses Force engines as their base. but i do believe their power ratings are similar.
would definitely agree with going to the .19 mach 2 though. cheap at 110$ and from what i hear great power and reliability.
do have to make sure though on what type of crankshaft, as if it is the type with the "small flywheel" (pretty much a wide washer with textures on both sides) the SG crankshaft of the Dynamite wont extend far enough to put the clutchbell in the correct location. made the mistake of the reverse and just wouldnt fit and the crankshaft type would not allot shortening the crank to allow for removal of the small flywheel.
just my 0.02$

i do believe force makes their own engines, i know HPI, OFNA, and another uses Force engines as their base. but i do believe their power ratings are similar.
would definitely agree with going to the .19 mach 2 though. cheap at 110$ and from what i hear great power and reliability.
do have to make sure though on what type of crankshaft, as if it is the type with the "small flywheel" (pretty much a wide washer with textures on both sides) the SG crankshaft of the Dynamite wont extend far enough to put the clutchbell in the correct location. made the mistake of the reverse and just wouldnt fit and the crankshaft type would not allot shortening the crank to allow for removal of the small flywheel.
just my 0.02$
The engine I have is a 3cc already it's the same engine that's on the ftx carnage nt same car pretty much just longer but that's y am looking for a .21 as the mach 2 is only 3.06 and mine is 3.00 or somthing stupidly close to that I would rather pay a the extra for .21 but dont want to make a mistake were the engine is to big to fit

The engine I have is a 3cc already it's the same engine that's on the ftx carnage nt same car pretty much just longer but that's y am looking for a .21 as the mach 2 is only 3.06 and mine is 3.00 or somthing stupidly close to that I would rather pay a the extra for .21 but dont want to make a mistake were the engine is to big to fit

https://www.amainhobbies.com/o.s.-.21tm-tmaxx-manifold-abc-11k-slide-carb-osm12240/p653520

In that case, this is a good choice - but definitely you'll want to research if it will properly fit based on what D3MON mentioned about the flywheel.

My engine specs

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191217-181038_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217-181038_Chrome.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 264

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191217-181515_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217-181515_Chrome.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 209
  • Screenshot_20191217-181505_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217-181505_Chrome.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 183
This is what am looking at for the price
you may be able to big block swap that truck, but i am not going to lie will take some work and trial and error.
.12-.18 engines use similar size blocks (referred to as "small blocks"), to where the mounting points are able to remain in the same location.
most .21 and up engines (except for Picco .26, O.S. 21TM, and few others these are called "mid blocks") use a different engine mount ("big block") with mounting bolt locations spaced wider in both directions, not allowing for the factory engine mount to be used, and they are quite a bit longer, restricting more room.
(i am not saying a conversion would not be possible, just would take some work.)

you may be able to big block swap that truck, but i am not going to lie will take some work and trial and error.
.12-.18 engines use similar size blocks, to where the mounting points are able to remain in the same location.
most .21 and up engines (except for Picco .26, O.S. 21TM, and few others these are called "mid blocks") use a different engine mount ("big block") with mounting bolt locations spaced wider in both directions, not allowing for the factory engine mount to be used, and they are quite a bit longer, restricting more room.
(i am not saying a conversion would not be possible, just would take some work.)
So in short if am looking for more power just get a new car as am way to new to this to start doing that like the speed is grate on the car just want more so u know it's just more speed what can I say ahahha but no I was hoping it would be as simple as ording a new engine and taking out old one putting new one in

do also keep in mind, especially for these 2 strokes, power output is just as affected by engine size as it is by porting and timing.
for example, looking at specs for lets say Thunder Tiger engines, the .15BX engine puts out about 0.7 BHP, while the .12 EVO, puts out about 0.9bhp.

do also keep in mind, especially for these 2 strokes, power output is just as affected by engine size as it is by porting and timing.
for example, looking at specs for lets say Thunder Tiger engines, the .15BX engine puts out about 0.7 BHP, while the .12 EVO, puts out about 0.9bhp.
So from what u know of the car I have what would u do to upgrade the power FTX TORRO

another option to squeeze more power is to get a Tuned pipe, these engines run off back pressure, and the curve that backpressure is given at. tuned pipes are just that, tuned to a specific curve of fuel pressure to give more performance for that engine.
not all tuned pipes are the same, there is different ones for different power bands, different engine sizes, etc. so i would definitely do some research into what would work best.

another option to squeeze more power is to get a Tuned pipe, these engines run off back pressure, and the curve that backpressure is given at. tuned pipes are just that, tuned to a specific curve of fuel pressure to give more performance for that engine.
not all tuned pipes are the same, there is different ones for different power bands, different engine sizes, etc. so i would definitely do some research into what would work best.
is yours 2 speed? that would probably be one of the first upgrades, looking at the FTX site they have their own tuned pipe, i would grab that, past that would look into different gearing, either sacrifice some speed for more torque or vice versa. down the road once the current engine burns up i would look into replacing with that Dynamite .19 Mach 2.
EDIT:

is yours 2 speed? that would probably be one of the first upgrades, looking at the FTX site they have their own tuned pipe, i would grab that, past that would look into different gearing, either sacrifice some speed for more torque or vice versa. down the road once the current engine burns up i would look into replacing with that Dynamite .19 Mach 2.
EDIT:
View attachment 120376

According to the website it already has a tuned pip and dosnt say is its 2 speed so gusse not

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191217-184747_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20191217-184747_Chrome.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 185
2 speed will give alot wider range of usable power depending on how it is geared, as far as the tuned pipe, i have seen very few truly "tuned" pipes on RTR vehicles, especially in the composite variety, (does not mean they are not out there, or that this is the case, but in my experience). personally would probably try to find a novarossi pipe and header combo or ERCM, but those are a bit more spendy.
there is not really blanket "tuned" so many variations of "tuned" pipes and usable RPM range, some tuned pipes can really unleash the power of some engines, others can actually hinder the engines performance.

2 speed will give alot wider range of usable power depending on how it is geared, as far as the tuned pipe, i have seen very few truly "tuned" pipes on RTR vehicles, especially in the composite variety, (does not mean they are not out there, or that this is the case, but in my experience). personally would probably try to find a novarossi pipe and header combo or ERCM, but those are a bit more spendy.
there is not really blanket "tuned" so many variations of "tuned" pipes and usable RPM range, some tuned pipes can really unleash the power of some engines, others can actually hinder the engines performance.
how will I know before buying as I could have a tuned pipe on this that dose the hest for this car or as u say it could be tuned but acc lowers the performance

Qss 11
how will I know before buying as I could have a tuned pipe on this that dose the hest for this car or as u say it could be tuned but acc lowers the performance
honestly with RTR pipes, it is an unknown, the only sure way would be for someone to have some research and experimenting done to figure out the best pipe to be paired with it.
another way way would be to find other people that have the same engine that have added tuned pipes and go from there, but at least in the U.S. not as popular of a truck so i am finding very limited results.
for my big blocks it took me about 3 different pipes to figure out best pairing for what i wanted out of the pipe.
for my small block HPI G3.0 (force .18), and my DTX (o.s) .18 i found that the dynamite tuned pipe worked really well as well as the stock DTX .18 pipe and header (seems very similar to the Dynamite) from the Nitro evaders. beforehand had tried a Ribbed HPI Pipe, misc no name pipe, and MGT 3.0 pipe, didnt seem to get the power , or powerband i was after. had to stick with the MGT 3.0 pipe in the end on the G3.0 because of room issues, but that dynamite tuned pipe definitely woke the engine up.
someone here may have had experience with the same engine/truck that you have but at this time i have not.

Quickly then while I can ask been looking into some thing and the brand offer a upgrade from one speed to 2 speed what is the difference as am on one speed but I can change it to 2 speed