Have the money for the LST2 now just need some last minute advice.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sur3fir3

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
I have a few things I would like some advice on before I take the plunge.

1st thing on my list is has anyone ever had issues with the losi single speed hub? in other words is the extra $10 for the dude's hub worth it? or go with the Losi one?

2nd I am going with a Tekin RX8 and a 1550kv Truggy motor, with a castle 10 Amp BEC set to deliver 7.2V, I was wondering what type of connectors for the battery I should use. I am going to attempt to run dual 3s with the Losi battery mount mounted up front where the Rx normally goes.

3rd This is my first electric conversion, and will be my first electric rig in over 20 years. I read that you cannot mount the Rx close to the ESC or motor. Is this true? and if so how far away should it be?

Tekin's warranty is only 120 days long, and I haven't done any soldering in over 10 years. (though I used to mod consoles alot so I do have soldering experience.) Should I spend the extra $40 or so and buy it from my hobby shop, and try to talk them into a free install if I buy from them? Or do you think I should ebay it and do it on my own?

I saved about $500 i spent $60 on a mat from cowrc, so I have $440 left. The TDracing stuff is $95. That leaves me with $355. I also need a new slipper clutch setup. the single speed hub and the Losi battery tray. thats about $85; that leaves me with 270, and the motor and esc are about $320 . So I may have to put off getting the motor and esc till next payday.

For batteris I planned on buying 3s 65-130C 5000MAH Turnigy nanotech

or

3s 45-90C 5000MAH Turnigy nano-tech

I will buy 2 of which ever one I get. I want to know if the 45-90C is enough or if I hsould go with the 65-130C.

Well that is how I plan on spending my money if you have any ways I can save some cash please let me know. Thanks for any advice. :dancingpoop:

Last edited:
I am running the Losi single speed hub with no issues, as for the battery connectors, any high current connector such as deans, traxxas or bullet connectors will work fine. Anything above a 40c rating should be fine, but you may want to check the specs on tekins esc's first.

I decided not to hold back on the batteries I buy, and go with 2 3s Venom 50C batteries. Since this will be the only pair I have for a decent amount of time I want a set that will last, and have read/heard way too many bad things about the turnigys not standing up to the test of time.

That way I know I will have no problems running it. but I ended up getting:

RX8 +T8 1550kv truggy motor
2 3s Venom 5000MAH 50C
TDracingRC's Motor mount and esc mount.
Losi battery tray to be mounted in front.
Losi Single speed hub
Upgraded slipper pads

to finish off the build, the motor/esc won't be in until next week Thursday, but everything else should be here by this Friday. I'll be able to start working on it Monday. Once its mocked up I'll update the build thread with some pics. I did want to give props to greywolf74 without his help this build would not have been possible. his advice was second to none, and helped me alot.

Thanks bro. And to answer your question about the ESC and RX. I've mounted them as little as 5 inches from one another and didnt experience any problems. At least not with the 2.4GHz system I was using.

As far as the solder goes I have a video on how to solder the slotted posts and it just happens to be on the RX8. It was a tip I picked up from an actual tekin video I saw once.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW2lz6Z9nxo"]How to solder Slotted ESC posts.avi - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
I have seen that tekin video you speak of. I really dont have the cash for a soldering iron atm, and they will do all the soldering for about $10, so for now I'm going that route.

also that way I'm not responsible for overheating solder points, or cold joints.. all those nice things u can do when its been a while since you've worked an iron.

Last edited:
Ahhhh my bad, didnt realize you didnt have a soldering iron. I need to redo that video...Its one of my early ones and it was just terrible. Trying to solder at weird angles from what I normally do trying to do it so you could see it in the camera. lol

Its not that bad.. lol.. I've been watching a ton of E-LST2 youtube vids, its been driving me nuts. just a bit more time and it should all come together nicely. Theres been quite a few people interested locally in seeing it run... most people here have nitro MTs.. I have a feeling I might convert some ppl to the dark side ;)