Have experience w/ Revo 3.3 suspension and trans upgrades?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Certified Mike

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I posted some questions in the 'Revo' forum about upgrades to suspension with rpm parts? Or others for that matter?
Also looking for ideas for upgrades for the trans. Its all stock and it's a basher So I'm thinking I'd like to keep reverse (if at all possible) I blew up the trans and replaced what appears to have been issues... It still has chunky spots so I'm replacing it all. I know Robinson has the all steel (maybe alum too) for the forward only but can you use some of it or maybe a combo of one kit and loose parts to make it run strong? They also have a slipper that got good reviews as far as I can find. Anyone use one? I was thinking that the true track would be nice. I have questions about using that too. Any help???

Also thinking to upgrade the exhaust. I have heard good things about the THS 1046 pipe and Trinity. Anyone use the vantage pipes? Jammin?
Also thinking about a center diff. Do I NEED to go with forward only to do the center diff? Do I have to do a rear brake only conversion?
Think I can come up with any more questions??? :thumbs-down:

Last edited:
I'm sorry. I must have missed something. Did you have a question? :rolleyes:

:) I've NEVER ditched reverse. I wouldn't be without it. Keep it unless you do flat out racing. My opinion, but others don't feel the same.
I also prefer the stock spurs. It's good to have an inexpensive "Sacrificial" part in the drive train. It also makes it easy to re-gear for different types of running.
If you go with a steel spur, the expensive parts start to break instead.

Thanks @Rolex. Reverse is a novelty for me really. I bash with the Jato without reverse and rarely find myself having to chase it down just to pull it from an obstacle. The Revo is obviously bigger and I can get into a lil more trouble with it but I'm old and lazy and stuff... Lol! I'm not sold on anything just yet but from all the searching I have done, I don't see any other options at all... Its Robinson forward only or stock gearing. I actually had a grub screw come loose in the trans and that's what did the damage so it's not like the trans blew up from some crazy driving or a super powered motor etc... I just want to make sure if I'm gonna buy all this stuff and do the job, it's gonna get done once and be right. This trans is kind of a pain fitting all the .5mm thick washers here and there etc... I figure while I'm at it, maybe give the truck a little more snot with a new pipe and make it a lil more stable at the same time.
I have read about ppls issues with the rpm true-trac pulling out the traxxas cv shafts. I think I can get a set of hot racing shafts to go in there work.
I am toying with the idea of a center diff hoping to take some stress off the diffs but that puts me back at forward only, unless that's traxxas trying to sell me more crap. Traxxas does say center diff will only work with a forward only conv.
The Robinson slipper looks nice and that should take pretty much all the stress off the trans so stock gearing should be ok anyways.
I was hoping to talk with ppl here who had some experience with the Revo and beefing it up a lil. I have been in the traxxas site and it makes me shudder to think that I would consider asking for or even worse taking advise from the meatsticks there! Some of the posts I read are frightening! So yeah, I'm not on fire to order this stuff but it is gonna happen soon. I want my Revo back. Then I can get back to my Associated GT rescue. :D
Thanks for the advice!

The Robinson is usually Forward only. As is the center diff which I use with the rear brake kit to give me better brake bias control front to rear along with keeping the front end on the ground with a big block. The real reason I got rid of reverse on my 3.3 was the Opti-Drive didn't like working with my Spektrum radio system. It caused the reverse to shell so...

I use the RPM arms on my 1/16 Revo, but never really had a problem with them on my 3.3. I did put some Titanium pushrods and skid plates on it and went to heavier springs and oil on upgraded TiN shocks.

I'm staying with the stock engine til I kill it at least. I know the bigblock will push it a lot harder but I don't need that...yet. I want to get it so it's going straight and is strong enough to take what I can dish out. Hopefully make me a better driver at the same time. I'm still reading a lot and at least finding options. Thanks for the input!!!

If you go with the RPM arms, I'd suggest getting the Tru-Track rear kit. Makes it so much more solid.

Tru-track is pretty much definite. I haven't found anything else that looks close or seems to offer a more solid set up. I think I'm going rpm all the way around.

When I break something on any of my trucks, I look for RPM replacements first. If they make it, I'll buy it.

The lifetime guarantee and the success rate of everyone has me sold. I have only broken 1 arm on it and it was literally the 11st run on it. I bought traxxas arms with it, not even thinking upgrade, just thinking that I'm an idiot and I KNOW I will break these... This is an upgrade so when I take it back out, it will be a better animal and hopefully get me to be one too.

Yah, ***1st run*** and fat thumbs!

I run robinson racing steel on all my internal trans gears because I hate taking the stupid trans out whenever a gear decides to spit it's teeth out. Also, I have an OS21TM in one revo and an LRP28 in my other, so stock gears just didn't hold up for me. For you, going with an even a traxxas FOC improves trans durability because it removes parts/weight/servo/optidrive and you end up with thicker/wider gears on the output shaft. Even only as a basher, you get used to not running into a situation where reverse is needed. On the few occasions where reverse is needed... you can always use your feet to walk to it and kick it backwards. ;)

I also run full RPM arms/carriers on both my revos. Both with true-track in the rear. Simplifies the setup and is more durable than even RPM carriers as you remove the tie-rod from the equation.

As for the spur/slipper, I find that the stock spurs/slipper work fine, so no real need to upgrade/change that.

For big air, I found that the traxxas variable shock damper kit helps allow you to set it to take a bigger drop without being overly stiff on the rebound. I have that on both my revo's as well running P2 rockers. On occasions, I'll snap a rocker arm, but I upgrade those with aluminum as I break them. Which is pretty rare anyway. At least once every year, I do replace all the ball ends on the push-rods and shock ends as they stretch/wear quite a bit.

I recently installed a dynamite maxlife set of shoes in my 21TM revo though. traxxas shoes just don't do well over time, at least with higher torque engines. With the stock engine, you'd probably be fine, but the alloy shoes do make it grab better off the line. On my LRP28 revo, I moved the transmission forward about 1/4 inch so I could use 1/8 scale bell/clutch and I run alloy shoes in that too. That thing will rip a stump out of the ground now.

As for the pipe, the trinity was god awful loud, but really helped the 3.3 with power output. I found that the THS pipe helped almost as much but was a lot quieter. Both are better than stock and both resonator pipes for power output.

Thanks! The RPM set up makes sense and the lifetime seals it for me. They are going on all the way around on this and another project I am working on. I like their products and everything I have read, which is a LOT, I have yet to see anyone say ANYTHING bad about their products or customer service. I am thinking I am going to pick up a trans complete from ebay. They are cheap and that leaves me with a case I can mess with to fill with Robinson stuff. I can't imagine I won't be happy with the quality, I'm just not sure about losing the reverse... I actually have a couple HUGE areas that I run in. Where I am not racing or planning to, bashing is all the action the truck will ever see. I am thinking tho, when I blow up or wear out the 3.3, I'll likely kick it up to a big block. Things like a beefy clutch and a set of strong gears will be imperative at that point, even for bashing. (It will still be fun to rip apart my friends trucks when we go head to head too). I plan on building for reliability when I build. I enjoy tweaking it out to get the most out of it (whatever I am running at the time) but I don't enjoy replacing a set of gears every other time I run.
As far as the pipe goes, I Def want to kick up the performance but I don't want to have the neighbors all pissed off at me when I run it up and down the street. I get annoyed when the guy down the street fires up his crotch rocket mosquito bike... Dont want to hear it. I don't mind a real hot rod (all set with a souped up Honda accord) or a loud Harley but the crotch rockets get under my skin... I have heard quite a few of the rc kits that don't sound far off from them... (hint hint kid down the street... Your bike sounds like an rc car... Time to think about buying a real bike, before I have my girlfriend go down there and take it away from you :stick:!!! Lol! Anyways, yah, I don't want to be that guy... BUT I do want to make sure the Revo blows that bike off the street when he rides by... :hehe: I need to find that happy medium... It sounds like you're on the right track there. Its Def about the performance for me. Even better if I can find something that will work with the next motor too, but I think that's unlikely.
I have been looking at a few 3 and 4 shoe clutches... Not sold on any one in particular as of yet but I see this being a good time to upgrade. (not a must have tho) I haven't had any issues with stock at all and although I am an absurdly rich, trust fund baby... I have set a budget for this project. Lol!!! I think excepting the pushrod and turnbuckle upgrades, a new body and MAYBE a new set of rubber for it, I will call it 'done enough' for now and then focus on my associated rescue. I don't know why exactly, but I am really itching to build that buggy!:naughty:
So yeah, thanks for the input for sure!

These were the shoes I used. They just replace the stock shoes:
https://www.amainhobbies.com/dynami...p5184/p25535?gclid=CL7ChKP4680CFQkNaQodJggHfA

Figured they were worth a try as they were replacing a set of 7075 integy shoes I tried that died pretty quickly.

The THS pipe was a very good compromise between all out power and noise. With the 3.3, it had barely a hair less punch off the line than the trinity pipe, but was miles quieter. Still a bit more loud than the stock pipe. I just couldn't stand the racket the trinity pipe made. Especially without the stinger reduce. Was just ridiculous. Was even worse when I tried it on my BB revo with a big block. My ears rang for days. lol!

I have heard that a set of aluminum was the way to go but the way composite materials are always being discovered and tried for new things... I'd be willing to give them a poop. I don't know that integy makes anything I would use at this point. I haven't heard anything good about anything that they make, at all... MAYBE something like a fuel tank or similar that doesn't move or isn't supposed to alter/improve strength, speed etc... I just never hear good things about them.
Yeah, I know what you're saying with the trinity pipe I think... I have heard a couple pipes that were just like that... Left a really unpleasant, tinny ringing in my head. All set with that. I can deal with a slight loss in performance in trade for not hating the truck!!!

Remember not to replace everything with aluminium, and avoid when dealing with gears, mixing metals. As a harder gear will wear away a softer gear.

Yes, I have experienced the different material/hardness gears issues in prior builds. I will do my best to get my desired options and the most durable parts at the same time. I am actually leaning towards buying a new complete trans to throw in just to get it back up and running... My focus has taken a hard left! I am really itching to get this gt project underway. I just love the car..
Odd since I've only seen vids of them running. I just see a lot of fun and the potential to do some wild things to an 'll and outdated' buggy. I think the gt was designed at the pinnacle of ST and it has kept the focus and love of many long term owners and runners. There is most certainly a reason for that. Although I haven't run it, I love the quality of the build and the design overall. So yeah, trans, keep the old case and stuff it with some up gears as I find them... MAYBE go with a forward only or single speed kit??? We'll see... I really just enjoy bashing with it. The 4x4 and the height make it perfect to run in the lawn and gravel drive here. The Jato will do it, but labor's in it (the grass is cut too high imo :hehe:... Its not my department, no say in the matter.) I'm thinking I'll just keep running the cars hard in a track like shape and eventually create a track. :naughty: Ah, priorities.

Back