Has a mind of its own

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSockBandit

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I recently fixed my car and started it for the first time In a while and for the first few seconds it ran ok and drove ok but then a of a sudden the car just took off by itself and then it started to drive in circles on its own and I had no control over it.so I chased it down and turnd it off thinking it was the batteries so I changed then then I noticed it wasn't and I still had no control over it and the it was steering one way by itself self why is this can someone please help me find out what is the problem so I can fix it please and thank you( the rig is a redcat shockwave 1:10th scale 4x4 buggy and the motor is vx-16)

Last edited:
you dont mention which rig it is, but look for any loose screws. metal on metal can rub together from the vibrations of the engine and cause electrical interference. you should also check your environment. high power lines, and other electronics can cause issues, as well as other people around with RC's. If its a BND setup, maybe try re-binding your RX.

maybe list which rig it is, and what electronics/engine you have. that may help.

you dont mention which rig it is, but look for any loose screws. metal on metal can rub together from the vibrations of the engine and cause electrical interference. you should also check your environment. high power lines, and other electronics can cause issues, as well as other people around with RC's. If its a BND setup, maybe try re-binding your RX.

maybe list which rig it is, and what electronics/engine you have. that may help.
Thanks for the suggestion man and I will give the car a good deep look over for and thing lose wires and screws

Heneray if the service sticks one way it tends to be that the sevos died- for me thats what happens. But it can be electrical interference too :)

Did you happen to get anything wet? Wet servos freak out and usually eventually die. Every servo I got wet was usually a throttle servo and they never seem to fail and turn on the brakes... they always fail and go WOT. I did have one steering servo go bad in my jato and it just slowly drifted to max throw in one direction.

Now I only use waterproof or resistent servos for all my rigs. I drive in wet grass quite a bit and sometimes in winter. Ballooning, plastidip/coat works to a point, but always ends with a servo that is wet and WOT at some point. I have yet to have a Hitec 985MG go bad on me. I use traxxas high torque digital waterproof for my smaller rigs for t/b, but the 985MG for my MT's throttle and steering.
http://www.amazon.com/Hitec-32985S-HS-985MG-Coreless-Universal/dp/B000FETUC0

There's probably something better out these days, but I haven't bought a new servo in a few years.

Did a quick search and appears the 7985 is similar, costs more than the 985 used to though:
https://www.servocity.com/html/hs-7985mg_servo.html#.Vc4QI_SzlmE

they always fail and go WOT
It's called sods law :p Same happened to me...the day I was looking to buy a new steering servo, which recently died. I also only had enough money to buy one servo, and in the process of crashing it broke the front bumper and snapped another plastic bit, which I had a spare of. Lucky me. I'd recommend the Savox 1257 for throttle and either the 1256 or 1258 for steering (The 58 is a little less torquey but is a lot faster than the 1256, and I notice and prefer faster steering. Both are great and it's all down to personal opinion, but if you do go dual savox then you'll need a regulator and you may need Li-po or Li-fe as they are power hungry.

Back