Had a disapointing nitro experience

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andydrew39219

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Last week I got the pede all ready, it was an absolute beauty outside. Which is rare this time of year on the island I live on. Went over to a buddies house with my pede, who has the electric version. I was going to break in the brand new 2.5R I put in. Got it started, drove it for a second and it stalled. Went to start it again, flooded, so I mess around with it get it all cleared out and go to start it again, flooded, or so I thought. I went through this process a few times and then came to the conclusion that my ez start wand battery was pretty much dead. Because I would "clear it" put the glow plug back in and turn it over without the fuel line going into the carb and it still couldn't turn it over after 2 or 3 times.

I was a very angry person after this happened, because I feel I just put a good amount of wear on my engine turning it over and I got 2 seconds of run time. If it was my old .15 pro that I blew up I wouldn't care but this was the first time that engine had seen fuel.

Needless to say I am putting the pull start on it right after I make this post cause I'm taking it out today and this is not happening again...

It would be a good idea to heat the case to operation temp with a heat gun or get it as hot as you can with a hair dryer also you can loosen the plug a little bit go relieve a little compression and tighten back up once it starts also you may need to lean the motor a little to break it in sometimes they are to rich to even run but stalls are pretty common with break-in

It would be a good idea to heat the case to operation temp with a heat gun or get it as hot as you can with a hair dryer also you can loosen the plug a little bit go relieve a little compression and tighten back up once it starts also you may need to lean the motor a little to break it in sometimes they are to rich to even run but stalls are pretty common with break-in

Whew, I took the pede out yesterday, broke it in with 5 tanks and then ran another couple through it. Holy crap the 2.5R is fast. I am lucky I did not break anything yesterday, only a couple minor things. About halfway through the 3rd tank it just opened right up, sounded completely different (in a good way) and instantly had at least twice the power. It was difficult to only give it 1/2 throttle. After the 5th tank I did beat on it a little but I haven't touched the needles at all so it is still nice and rich. I can't get it to get up to temp that well (I would assume partly because the tune), I had a cut off part of a sock wrapped and ziptied around the head and I was seeing 170-200. Outside temp was low 50s, today will be mid 50s maybe I'll run it again.

I thought about heating it up, because I broke it in at the boatyard I work at so I could have gotten a heat gun. But this isn't one that you would want to use on a nitro because it is far too hot. It wasn't a big deal anyways, I used the pull start and it was fine. 7 tanks and 1 ez start battery lasted the whole time for the glowplug.

Last edited:
Ez-starts are cool... until they aren't. I kept one on my jato for a little while, but I typically use pull-starts. They last a long time and also let you know what your engine is doing.

Ez-starts are cool... until they aren't. I kept one on my jato for a little while, but I typically use pull-starts. They last a long time and also let you know what your engine is doing.

This is true, since then I have gotten rid of the ez start completely and have a hobbico hotshot 2. I haven't been bashing lately though as I don't have the money for it. I just don't like how I have to remove the body to start it.