GXR28 pull start won't retract

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it's a cam type.

Moving freely right up to o-ring, it does seem a little easier to turn on but not sure if the spring in the pull start will be able to spin it quick enough for me to pull again
When I looked at your pictures more carefully, the small O ring is not supposed to be sitting inside the backplate, it should be outside.

I bet you never own one of those engine.;
I never would. LOL I only run OS, Ofna, Traxxas, Associated and Zenoah
If I did; I would convert the starter by any means; find a back plate that would work or machine one to work and standardize it to 8 mm shaft. This is why the engine is discontinued.

Last edited:
When I looked at your pictures more carefully, the small O ring is not supposed to be sitting inside the backplate, it should be outside.
Definitely inside I'm afraid, sits in a groove and would sit on shaft moving away from backplate if it was outside.

Maybe the new pull start is the only way and hope the spring is strong enough to spin the shaft back in

I never would. LOL I only run OS, Ofna, Traxxas, Associated and Zenoah
If I did; I would convert the starter by any means; find a back plate that would work or machine one to work and standardize it to 8 mm shaft. This is why the engine is discontinued.
Actually, a lot of OS engines Traxxas, OFNA engines are also discontinued.

Definitely inside I'm afraid, sits in a groove and would sit on shaft moving away from backplate if it was outside.

Maybe the new pull start is the only way and hope the spring is strong enough to spin the shaft back in
Well, have a good clean and lubrication, make sure you don't use WD-40, it will eat the plastic parts. I haven't open my engines again, but my memory said it was outside.

Actually, a lot of OS engines Traxxas, OFNA engines are also discontinued.
And all the engines that I have most are bump start and one's that have pull starts I can adapt to sullivan tiger drive. I have enough parts to rebuild all 100 of my engines one time over. Box's and box's of engine parts.

Yes, you are quite right, the small O ring is inside, I have just opened my engine up and checked. After only 45 years in nitro, the age and smell of nitro have caught up with me ?.

Yes, you are quite right, the small O ring is inside, I have just opened my engine up and checked. After only 45 years in nitro, the age and smell of nitro have caught up with me ?.
Thanks so much AlfredWong your help was invaluable.
Tuning is the issue now ?, I think the o-rings in the carb are past their best.
You hardly have the specs for them?? ???

Thanks so much AlfredWong your help was invaluable.
Tuning is the issue now ?, I think the o-rings in the carb are past their best.
You hardly have the specs for them?? ???
I bought a box of miscellaneous O rings from Alexpress and some will fit.

Attachments

• 16150610754712354928227472022863.jpg
    16150610754712354928227472022863.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 60