GXR28 pull start won't retract

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jens-Jakob

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I got this problem with my GXR28 engine on my Inferno. If I remove the pull start it is working just fine. The problem is when I tighten the two screws attaching the pull start to the back plate. I can loosen the two screws and the pull starter will retract - but then the pull starter won't engage the engine!

Can anyone recognize this problem? Please notice that this engine does NOT have a one way bearing.

Hey I'm having similar issues to what you did, did you ever work out a fix?

I got this problem with my GXR28 engine on my Inferno. If I remove the pull start it is working just fine. The problem is when I tighten the two screws attaching the pull start to the back plate. I can loosen the two screws and the pull starter will retract - but then the pull starter won't engage the engine!

Can anyone recognize this problem? Please notice that this engine does NOT have a one way bearing.

Hi there,

I think the problem you have is related to the 3D Pull start nut assembly and the stickyness of the plate inside the engine. You will need to open the engine back plate, and clean the plate, when you put it back, make sure the knot lineup with the pilot shaft pull start engagement pin. Clean the pull start nut, make sure it can move.

Regards,
Alfred.

Hi there,

I think the problem you have is related to the 3D Pull start nut assembly and the stickyness of the plate inside the engine. You will need to open the engine back plate, and clean the plate, when you put it back, make sure the knot lineup with the pilot shaft pull start engagement pin. Clean the pull start nut, make sure it can move.

Regards,
Alfred.
Hi, I know this is and old post but I’m having the same issue.
Pull start won’t recoil, pull start but is moving freely, slow movement seems to be pull start shaft but it’s the o-ring that seals it.
Shaft moves in and out as nut turns as it should but it’s not letting the rope recoil.
Help please I’m going crazy here

Hi there,

Regards,
Alfred.
Hi, I know this is and old post but I’m having the same issue.
Pull start won’t recoil, pull start but is moving freely, slow movement seems to be pull start shaft but it’s the o-ring that seals it.
Shaft moves in and out as nut turns as it should but it’s not letting the rope recoil.
Help please I’m going crazy here

If you take out the pull start, if the rope recoil properly, then it is the inside of the engine is gummed up, take our the backplate and shaft, pull the backplate and shaft plate apart and clean them, I will just use some after run oil. When you turn the engine shaft back and forth without the spark plug, it should move the 3D nut up and down. The other thing is to line up the shaft and the hole on the pull start shaft correctly, otherwise it won't retract. The pull start shaft and the backplate should move in and out with ease. The Kyosho design got rid of the one way bearing.

Once the shaft is not lined up with crank shaft, you will need to realign it. But cleaning the backplate and the shaft will definitely help.

If you take out the pull start, if the rope recoil properly, then it is the inside of the engine is gummed up, take our the backplate and shaft, pull the backplate and shaft plate apart and clean them, I will just use some after run oil. When you turn the engine shaft back and forth without the spark plug, it should move the 3D nut up and down. The other thing is to line up the shaft and the hole on the pull start shaft correctly, otherwise it won't retract. The pull start shaft and the backplate should move in and out with ease. The Kyosho design got rid of the one way bearing.
Thanks so much for your superfast response, the internet is a wonderful thing only powered by the generosity of people like yourself.

I’ve removed the engine backplate, the piston moves really freely with glow plug removed so all ok there.
The starter shaft is clean but just moves really slowly, probably due to the o-ring that seals the engine.
When you say the hole in the shaft do you mean for the pin that holds the starter nut?

Pulling the pull start the nut turns, as it spins it pushes the shaft into the engine and catches the crankshaft and starts.
When recoiling the nut spins anti-clockwise back towards the backplate and draws the starter shaft away from the engine.
All is ok but the nut still holds the pull start and stops the recoil!

Thanks so much for your superfast response, the internet is a wonderful thing only powered by the generosity of people like yourself.

I’ve removed the engine backplate, the piston moves really freely with glow plug removed so all ok there.
The starter shaft is clean but just moves really slowly, probably due to the o-ring that seals the engine.
When you say the hole in the shaft do you mean for the pin that holds the starter nut?

Pulling the pull start the nut turns, as it spins it pushes the shaft into the engine and catches the crankshaft and starts.
When recoiling the nut spins anti-clockwise back towards the backplate and draws the starter shaft away from the engine.
All is ok but the nut still holds the pull start and stops the recoil!
It’s the resistance in the starter shaft and backplate that’s slowing the recoil but should the 3D nut nut be disengaged from the pull start?

So, in order to clean the backplate, you will need to take the pin our and the O ring as well, take a picture, so you remember where they go, it is not the O ring that gives you problem. When you take that apart and clean, you will see all the gummed up inside.

16139354772334486671249560588116.jpg

Moving freely right up to o-ring, it does seem a little easier to turn on but not sure if the spring in the pull start will be able to spin it quick enough for me to pull again

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    208.3 KB · Views: 62
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 84
Make sure the starter shaft and backplate move smoothly. A good clean to remove any residue is a good start especially where the plate meet the backplate.

Make sure the starter shaft and backplate move smoothly. A good clean to remove any residue is a good start especially where the plate meet the backplate.
Tried to make a video but can’t attach it.
It’s spinning freely all the way until it touches the o-ring, it’s hardly that an o-ring has expanded and is too intrusive??
I’ve heard of them shrinking but these are tiny altogether

Tried to make a video but can’t attach it.
It’s spinning freely all the way until it touches the o-ring, it’s hardly that an o-ring has expanded and is too intrusive??
I’ve heard of them shrinking but these are tiny altogether
So too out the o-ring (terrified I’d tear it) and a bit of a build up behind it alright.
It’s turning there and spring on pull start seems to be winding but still slower than it should but WAY BETTER than earlier.
I’ll oil it tomorrow and see how it is then.

You’re a life saver, got me sorted and I’m delighted. Thank you so much

Tiger drive does not work on all different type of engines!