GS tuning??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GS-Stormer

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi all I just got my GS storm about 6 hours ago.I am new to Nitro so I don't know how start tuning it at all I was wondering if anybody could help me???:help:

Welcome to RCNT! You picked a great buggy to start out with. Is this your first nitro RC? If so check out the following:

Click below for the foremost tuning guide:
http://www.parisracing.com/engine_tuning_with_coversheet.htm

These are some links here that will also help! Good luck, and dont forget about the search button :)
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5324&highlight=engine+tuning

https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5810&highlight=engine+tuning

Thanks a lot, the guy at the HS tuned it for me and then I was stupid enough to go and mess around with but I guess that is how you learn.:worship:

no prob - u need to learn how to tune it anyway, as u will be retuning it on a fairly common basis. I have a Storm Pro, as does Humboldtblazer, he also has the regular storm, and Darthracer has the regular storm as well. Let us know if u need anymore help.

Can you tell me how to start tuning which way is richer which way is leaner and so on because I just turned it clockwise until I saw a bubble go into the fuel line it went up to 10 mm into to fuel line I have no idea what I am doing:normal:

LOL - no prob - what engine are u using? is it the RTR storm, or the kit?

Clockwise is lean, counterclockwise is rich. Tune in increments of 1/8th a turn, or about 2 hours if u were looking at a clock. Always start too rich, and tune to lean, not the other way around. Tune the HSN first, then the LSN, then the ISS. NEver tune more than one screw at a time. Make sure you run the engine for about 60-90 seconds between adjustments, to let the settings take hold. Finally, break in break in break in. Make sure you follow the break in proceedures given by your engine manufacturer to a tee. Take your time, or you will have a ruined engine in about 2 weeks.

I am using the RTR engine,I am still waiting for all my batteries to finish charging which will still take about 4-5 hours so.I really have no Idea what I am doing,I am afraid of turning it counterclockwise untill the screw comes out so I am pretty much lost here.

here is the exact text from GS Racing regarding tuning your engine - hope this helps:
=================================
1DGSB01 and GSB01P Factory Needle Settings

One of the most frequently asked questions is "What are the factory settings for my GS engine?" If you are asking this question, it is more than likely because you have tuned your engine right out of tune. Here are the factory settings, but please read further for some valuable information.

Bottom End (Low End)- 3.5 turns out

High End (Top End)- Just under flush with the brass tube

Idle- Set the gap inside the carb at 0.7mm to 1.0mm

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN NEEDLES, AS YOU WILL RIP THE O-RINGS!

Factory Settings are not the fix-all answer to engine tuning problems. These settings will likely set your engine rich, and may not work under the conditions you are in. There are many variables which we can not control. Variables include type and percentage of fuel, type of glow plug, length of fuel and pressure lines, ambient temperature, barometric pressure, humidity, and even your level of experience and knowledge level. Many of the calls we receive regarding engine tuning problems, engine quality issues, and engine performance issues are due to the mistakes made by the user. Often, the caller will blame problems on a "defective" engine and later admit to not knowing the difference between the high and low needles.

Here are some tips to help tune your engine, read on even if you are an experienced racer.

1- The break in process is the most crucial time in the life of an engine. Take care not to over rev and over heat an engine during this time. Conversely, do not take too long to break in an engine, as running an engine too rich for too long can cause damage to the conrod. When breaking in an engine, you may need to leave the glow igniter attached to keep the engine running.

2- Always make adjustments after allowing the engine to warm up fully. We strongly suggest setting the optimum tune with 1/4 tank or less of fuel in the car. Most engines will run slightly rich with a full tank and slightly lean with a low tank.

3- Don't assume that a properly tuned engine on a street surface will run the same on a loose dirt surface. Keep an eye on changing conditions including weather, track conditions, tire size, etc.

4- The type of glow plug used has a huge effect on engine tune and performance. Sometimes changing the type of plug makes all the difference.

5- If you are unsure of the settings, it is safer to tune rich. It you are unsure of what you are doing, stop and seek help from someone with experience. Unfortunately help may be hard to find as even the best intentions can sometimes lead to a blown engine. Ask your local shop to help you, and if they don't have someone who knows how to tune an engine, contact us for help

But from where do I start to tune it to factory settings???:eek::

Tighten the LSN and HSN fully, but not too tightly, then back them out to the following specs:

Bottom End (Low End)- 3.5 turns out

High End (Top End)- Just under flush with the brass tube

Then adjust the ISS so that it has the following gap:

=======================================

These are your break in settings. Run the car with these settings for about 2 tanks of fuel. It will have little or no power, and stall frequently. This is normal.

Once finished, lean the HSN 1/8th of a turn, and run the car through another full tank of fuel.

Repeat, adjusting the HSN another 1/8 turn.
========
Once you have gotten this far, lemmi know.

Thank for all your help I think I should be OK now it's good to know that there that are other RC enbthusiast that I can turn to for help really appreciate it.:cheers: .

Old thread, but from stop how many turns is the low speed needle supposed to be? Got a Storm that needs tuning. Got a manual but, it does not cover low speed needle at stop and how many turns back out should it be. I am guess 3 turns out from flush?

Old thread, but from stop how many turns is the low speed needle supposed to be? Got a Storm that needs tuning. Got a manual but, it does not cover low speed needle at stop and how many turns back out should it be. I am guess 3 turns out from flush?

I wouldn't think that you would pre-set the LSN at any set number of turn ,because the LSN is tuned when the engine is at operating temperatures!
Someone here posted a good running vid. on how to tune LSN ,but can't find the thread!

Does this not apply to your car? Posted above.

here is the exact text from GS Racing regarding tuning your engine - hope this helps:
=================================
1DGSB01 and GSB01P Factory Needle Settings

One of the most frequently asked questions is "What are the factory settings for my GS engine?" If you are asking this question, it is more than likely because you have tuned your engine right out of tune. Here are the factory settings, but please read further for some valuable information.

Bottom End (Low End)- 3.5 turns out (This is the Low speed needle)

High End (Top End)- Just under flush with the brass tube (High Speed Needle)

DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN NEEDLES, AS YOU WILL RIP THE O-RINGS!

There are 2 needles and they are set differently. Low speed is 3.5 turns from closed and high speed is set flush with the brass housing.

Does your carb look like this?
carb-jpg.jpg

I found this in a thread

f you are running a B01, B02 or B03 engine the carb settings are:
LSN - 3.5 turns out ( from closed)
HSN - half turn from flush with brass tube
Idle - 0.7-1.0 mm opening

Last edited:
The idle is the first setting to dial in. If the idle is not set right, all the others MAY need to change to accommodate the idle changes.

Back