Anyone tried a JQracing or Mayako car?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J’sCrawler

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
  4. Flying
I think the videos on tuning a nitro engine by invisible speed are extremely helpful, so I’m wondering if the JQ stuff is any good. I would like to get a decent nitro roller that has parts availability, a new kit, or maybe the Hpi wr8.
In short what kit, car, or platform did the nitro crowd start off with?

Last edited:
Sure would like to hear some feedback on what people like but not start a “this is better than that”.

Last edited:
I think the videos on tuning a nitro engine by invisible speed are extremely helpful, so I’m wondering if the JQ stuff is any good. I would like to get a decent nitro roller that has parts availability, a new kit, or maybe the Hpi wr8.
In short what kit, car, or platform did the nitro crowd start off with?
Nobody started off with anything, or has a preference on platform? Sure would like to hear some feedback on what people like but not start a “this is better than that”.

Give it a few days, your post has barely been up a few hours. If somebody hasn't heard of the brand, they're not going to reply, that alone tells you something if you get no responses.

Looks like a bespoke racing buggy from a small company, pretty much the opposite of a good starter roller with parts availability. What caught your eye about it?

I got into nitro with on-roads and would recommend a platform with cheap parts first.

JQ racing is no longer making buggies. His new line is called Mayako. I don’t have any opinions or data to share about them but judging by the knowledge he professes online I’d say the car is probably great in the right hands, with the right setup. I’d like to get one, mostly for the exclusivity of it, but with that comes having to be your own hobby shop. By that I mean, it’s highly unlikely you’ll find any parts at the average track/hobby shop so you need to keep an assortment in your pit box. I’d imagine most of the bearings are pretty universal between brands but something like arms are going to be very specific. If you’re just starting out I’d say go with something that’s more popular. Or if you’re only going to be racing at a particular track then go with whatever brand they have the most stuff for. (Probably associated)

JQ racing is no longer making buggies. His new line is called Mayako. I don’t have any opinions or data to share about them but judging by the knowledge he professes online I’d say the car is probably great in the right hands, with the right setup. I’d like to get one, mostly for the exclusivity of it, but with that comes having to be your own hobby shop. By that I mean, it’s highly unlikely you’ll find any parts at the average track/hobby shop so you need to keep an assortment in your pit box. I’d imagine most of the bearings are pretty universal between brands but something like arms are going to be very specific. If you’re just starting out I’d say go with something that’s more popular. Or if you’re only going to be racing at a particular track then go with whatever brand they have the most stuff for. (Probably associated)
I want one. 🤣

Mayako is not for everyone.

In fact there will only be one batch of a limited quantity of cars produced each year.

https://shop.mayako.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=34

THECar came out back in 2010-2011 time frame and was generally regarded as a great race kit. They revamped it a few times but I dont believe JQR hasnt made a kit since 2017ish. I dont know very much about Mayako and most people have likely never heard of them before but just from what I've seen of their MX8 kit, it looks like a solid race kit. Not sure how much part support is behind it, but they do have a U.S. point of contact. [email protected]

Last edited:
THECar came out back in 2010-2011 time frame and was generally regarded as a great race kit. They revamped it a few times but I dont believe JQR has made a kit since 2017ish. I dont know very much about Mayako and most people have likely never heard of them before but just from what I've seen of their MX8 kit, it looks like a solid race kit. Not sure how much part support is behind it, but they do have a U.S. point of contact. [email protected]
Idk about parts support but the purchase of a kit also enrolls you in his “Invisible Speed” tuning classes. Most of it is behind a paywall but the amount I’ve learned and can at least understand when others are talking about it Suspention and setup wise from just the free stuff posted on YouTube is impressive. His videos are generally very in depth and detailed. There’s theory discussion and practical discussion. Dude knows his stuff. And if you have the right sense of humor he’s pretty entertaining too. I’ve never seen one of the actual cars in person but I’ve seen them win quite a few races. Supposedly there’s an E buggy conversion in the works as well as a truggy variant. He’s also hinted towards breaking into the 1:10 scale market too. I’d love to see that.

Look up “Invisible Speed RC” on YouTube. Dig through the free stuff and find a topic that interests you. Hell he did almost an hour just on shock pistons.

If you’re into JQ things, then Mayako is the current and active brand of vehicles to look at. For setup, driving, and racing advice, the magic words are Invisible Speed.

I’ve got his book Invisible Speed as well as Dave B. Stevens’ Off Road Racer’s Guide. The books complement each other and if the explanation in one doesn’t resonate with me, the other book usually helps to get it.

From what I gather, Mayako is among the few buggies that are only the right setup and driver away from winning any race right up to the IFMAR Worlds. Performance-wise, you’ll have one excuse less in case a race doesn’t go as you had hoped.

I subscribe to the idea of having the most likely spare parts in my pit bag so having to order parts online and waiting for them isn’t necessarily an issue.

The other reason why we recommend ”locally popular” vehicles is the setup help you can get from the community. I have no experience with the Mayako membership program but even the stuff that’s available for free on Youtube is golden.

I wouldn’t hesitate giving the Mayako car and membership a go if I was getting into 1/8th scale. It seems to me they offer exactly the things you need to run their buggy to the best of your potential.

Give it a few days, your post has barely been up a few hours. If somebody hasn't heard of the brand, they're not going to reply, that alone tells you something if you get no responses.

Looks like a bespoke racing buggy from a small company, pretty much the opposite of a good starter roller with parts availability. What caught your eye about it?

I got into nitro with on-roads and would recommend a platform with cheap parts first.
The in depth knowledge of that guys videos is what caught my eye, I was thinking what car is he working on it looks well built. I already have zero local support in my area, everything I get is in the Mail. I tend to be really nice to my stuff so price of parts isn’t an issue but long term availability for certain is key.
I tend to really desire those rare vehicles, in real life and scale.
It’s a nice looking design, and for the price it’s comparable to other stuff I was looking at

Last edited:
Idk about parts support but the purchase of a kit also enrolls you in his “Invisible Speed” tuning classes. Most of it is behind a paywall but the amount I’ve learned and can at least understand when others are talking about it Suspention and setup wise from just the free stuff posted on YouTube is impressive. His videos are generally very in depth and detailed. There’s theory discussion and practical discussion. Dude knows his stuff. And if you have the right sense of humor he’s pretty entertaining too. I’ve never seen one of the actual cars in person but I’ve seen them win quite a few races. Supposedly there’s an E buggy conversion in the works as well as a truggy variant. He’s also hinted towards breaking into the 1:10 scale market too. I’d love to see that.

Look up “Invisible Speed RC” on YouTube. Dig through the free stuff and find a topic that interests you. Hell he did almost an hour just on shock pistons.
I did see the YouTube channel and even watched a couple vids. He does indeed go into great depth with some of his vids. Pretty awesome stuff.

I emailed them yesterday when I was looking at the Mayako website, and they are supposed to release an e-buggy version by the end of the month, and they have a truggy prototype in the works right now that they said they were hoping would be released by the last quarter of this year. I'm assuming an e-truggy is soon to follow after that. I kind of wanted THECar back when it first came out, but never got serious about buying one. I'm not sure if I want another 1/8 scale buggy, but I would like a shot at an e-truggy if they release one.

I did see the YouTube channel and even watched a couple vids. He does indeed go into great depth with some of his vids. Pretty awesome stuff.

I emailed them yesterday when I was looking at the Mayako website, and they are supposed to release an e-buggy version by the end of the month, and they have a truggy prototype in the works right now that they said they were hoping would be released by the last quarter of this year. I'm assuming an e-truggy is soon to follow after that. I kind of wanted THECar back when it first came out, but never got serious about buying one. I'm not sure if I want another 1/8 scale buggy, but I would like a shot at an e-truggy if they release one.
I’m down to get an E Buggy. I had nitro when I was younger and it was pretty rad. But there’s only one place within three hours of me to run one and all the peripherals are budget busters for me. One day maybe I’ll find a used nitro buggy for the right price and get back into it but for now I’m an E guy. Hopefully the timing of their e bug release coincides with a swell in my checking account 😂 Otherwise I’ll probably pick up the new associated 1/8 when outdoor season is about to start. I’ll I really need is the kit and a good servo. I have pretty much everything else on the shelf.

I’m down to get an E Buggy. I had nitro when I was younger and it was pretty rad. But there’s only one place within three hours of me to run one and all the peripherals are budget busters for me. One day maybe I’ll find a used nitro buggy for the right price and get back into it but for now I’m an E guy. Hopefully the timing of their e bug release coincides with a swell in my checking account 😂 Otherwise I’ll probably pick up the new associated 1/8 when outdoor season is about to start. I’ll I really need is the kit and a good servo. I have pretty much everything else on the shelf.
I know what you mean. I still have a couple of nitros, but most of my fleet is electric these days.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/mayako-announces-1-8-mx8-24-mx8e-race-buggies/