Grilling season is here!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well I don't guess it has stopped. But it was nice enough I could almost sit on the deck...
I went out and got a couple of steaks and a six pack. Just doesn't get any better. I'm ready for a nap now.

Been wanting to get a smoker for some time. Not sure if I want to spend that much time watching my food.
Do any of ya have one? Like it? Do you use it a lot?

How about some tips and recipes for both the smoker and the grill?

I am grilling some chicken right now !!!! I actually have a Weber kettle grill and just use that to smoke with and works pretty good.

Grilling season has a start and an end??? Not in this house! I'll stand in 3 feet of snow and use my grill before I cook in the house. Usually with a nice glass of Cab in hand mind you, but grillin' never ends here.

Never ends here either. I even grilled out in a damn hurricane, lol. I live on a canal, got my Brinkman 4 burner + side burner, stainless steel beauty on my deck overlooking the canal, I throw a line in the water, grab a cold one, and fire it up. Btw in case you guys did not know I am a member of P.E.T.A. ..........People Eating Tasty Animals, LOL. I can't stand to eat meat cooked in an oven, nothing better than a dead animal cooked over an open fire, mmmmmm.

Ahhh SCREW YOU ALL!
It's 15F here and we got nearly 8" of snow last night. Last weekend I was knee deep in NY Strip and BBQ chicken. This weekend I'm shovelling out.
But just to make myself feel better, I did my own version of Surf 'n Turf. Started with having to broil (yukkkkkk) 2 nice Ribeyes. While those were cooking, I cooked up some red potatoes and made smashed reds with sour cream, garlic, cream and cheddar cheese. Also, I took 1/2 pound of crab claw meat. Sauteed it quick in some butter. Threw in like 4 cloves of garlic. Cooked it for a couple minutes. Then hit it with some light cream and shredded Locatelli cheese. Let the cream reduce. And when all was said and done, I smothered the steaks with the crab sauce. It ruled!

Just finished some spare ribs, damned good eatin. I have used a smoker on venison steaks before, I highly recommed it.

we grilled some sausage things tonight for supper, fed 5 people on $17.87 including desert. grilling never stops here ether. i got a big smoker, (the ones made out of a 32 gal drum) i use it on occasion for ribs or chicked quarters or my fav "drunk chicken" you dont have to "watch" you food a long time, just come check on it every 20 min or so. it taked longer to cook, but there is longer in between things to do (like flipping bits) also. my grill got roughed up by rita, busted my burner and the handle on the front. i gotta find some parts. it isnt a expencive one though, its a "grillmaster" or whatever from walmart. i so want one of the huge stainless jobs with the sink and stuff!!! :drool:

Last edited:
I have seen some very nice smokers made from old fridges/upright freezers. Take out all the mechanical stuff, cut a small hole in the top and fashion a chimney of sorts and install a hot plate. Use an old cast iron skillet filled with your wood and heat over the hot plate. The key is to make sure your shelves are the wire ones rather than the solid glass ones like in newer units. Works really good and cheap and you can do alot of meat. Of course it is a cold smoke so you will still need to cook the meat before eating.

Hey Dig,

I know what you mean. We broke out the grill last weekend and grilled some steak and BBQ shrimp... little surf and turf action! It was the first time I could use the grill all winter... damn leg!

Anyway my father just got a smoker last summer and they love it. Not to much to it really. He smokes turkeys and blue and rockfish filets. I don't have a specific recipie... but I know the food is great. He just puts it on and then just checks on it now and then. Pretty simple to use.

Tom

It's allways BBQ season for me ...well maybe not all season, but personaly i love my smoker .. Mmmmmmmm Briscuit, ribs, boston pork butt, chicken, turkey.. ect ect.

Yeah i just bought a grill last week love it have only used it about 3 times but hey i just got started

and i live in texas so its always time to grill

digger said:
Been wanting to get a smoker for some time. Not sure if I want to spend that much time watching my food.
Do any of ya have one? Like it? Do you use it a lot?

I assume you want a hot smoker (cold used for bacon). If your good with metal you can build your own. If not you can get some decent ones at lowes or somewhere. They're pretty small (maybe 2ft diameter for uprights) with the exception of one (think 55 gallon drum on its side with external firebox) I've seen. And you really don't have to spend that much time watching your food. You only spend maybe 5 min at max every hour or so checking fire and using a mop on the meat if you have one. Invest in a smoker its great for chicken, tri tip, brisket, not to mention pork, and jerky even.

jetmechG550 said:
Grilling season has a start and an end??? Not in this house! I'll stand in 3 feet of snow and use my grill before I cook in the house. Usually with a nice glass of Cab in hand mind you, but grillin' never ends here.

Same thing I was thinking when I thread,I never knew it ended. We have not been able to grill since December when we got hammered with snow,and all the snow on the roof come down on top of the grill. That is not what destroyed it,it was the fact of not knowing it was in there and coming in with the skidsteer and moving the pile. We have grilled in; snow,rain,hail,sleet,thunderstorms,even a blizzard when are power went out.

Jeff

nitroking said:
Same thing I was thinking when I thread,I never knew it ended. We have not been able to grill since December when we got hammered with snow,and all the snow on the roof come down on top of the grill. That is not what destroyed it,it was the fact of not knowing it was in there and coming in with the skidsteer and moving the pile. We have grilled in; snow,rain,hail,sleet,thunderstorms,even a blizzard when are power went out.

Jeff
Dude that sucks! But hey, what better excuse to go buy something bigger and better, ar ar ar MORE POWER!!!!:wasted:

Well guys I don't grill but maybe once a month during the winter. I've swept snow off the deck to fire up the grill. Cooked out in the rain.
It's just so much more enjoyable when it was nice like yesterday was. Better to be able to kick back on deck and relax if ya know what I mean.
NC, that would kick ass to be able to fish off the deck while grilling.
Sumo, I've thought about making my own smoker. I have seen the ones you are talking about at Lowes. I almost bought one about the size of a 55 gallon drum. Maybe I'll get one this year.

Any of ya notice one of the google ads that came up on this post. Don't know if it will come up everytime. But I put it in my favorites to view later. http://www.grillingspices.com/tips.asp

jetmechG550 said:
Dude that sucks! But hey, what better excuse to go buy something bigger and better, ar ar ar MORE POWER!!!!:wasted:

We are most likely gonna make are own out of a 50gal drum, along with a smoker later down the road since you can't get smoked meats or anything up here like Pa. When you go buy a grill you really don't have many big charcoal grills to choose from, charcoal is what we prefer to cook with so we figured we would make are own.

Jeff

Back