got your boy looking in nitros

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB1126

Team Bomb Pop
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
I been watching videos on nitro slashes rustlers and jatos the other night :doh:
Nitro the gas its self is expensive 😅
If I want nitro Ill go with the traxxas nitros, or the losi 8ight truggy, probably gonna get it used.

nitro looks too much fun to be legal.
and costs $$$
I'm afraid of the karens in the neighborhood calling me out 🤣

Back last year and earlier this year when I used to bash alot I would always get complements on how cool the slash and rustler were. I also found some guys in the other parts of town that bash aswell. Met a guy with a arrma vorteks and another family with a big rock. They are all electric so they don't make much noise at all. Actually haven't seen or heard or played with a nitro car yet. Maybe its just because we are in a populated area.

You posting a thread about "nitro RC"?🤣 Lol I remember getting my first savage. On my way to pick it up I was rethinking all the decisions I've made the past 14 years because of all those people around me not having a clue how to operate/repair nitro's, and of course the money. None of that changed and defo not the money, but I love it😁
I'm afraid of the karens in the neighborhood calling me out 🤣
Two of my neighbours already called me out at the same time but that was when I was tuning my FG in my backyard for half an hour😂

Revo and Tmaxx looks cool too, but even more expensive
Nitro onroad seems fun. Didn't they have a nitro 4tec once? its probably discontinued by a long time ago.
Any other brands?
There is HPI and Kyosho but parts support near me, basically none

Part support my **😂
This GS racing baby I finished today was produced in the late 90's so I'm not even tryna find parts for it. About the costs, the car was only $15 for me, even including a leaking thundertiger engine👍. Both gears were stripped but I did not care: all these gears can be measured and bought from Aliexpress. I'm not joking, the ingredients are on their way to make this a 2-speed✌️ so at the end of the day including everything I've spent $50 and 6h on this.
20231125_225436.jpg
20231125_225503.jpg
20231125_225522.jpg
HPI is very good from my experience with 2 savages and one trophy truggy, and from everyone else's experience I've read online. Kyosho looks fun to me but not the type of nitro's that I run, I'd feel so bad if what I did to this GS was to a kyosho. Traxxas isn't my fave because of the fame even though their quality isn't worth the money. I love offroad nitro's as much as I hate cleaning them, I hope that explains😂 I have a collection of 4 "onroad" nitro's right now, but I've lifted them all up because in my area there'd be no smooth enough road for them

Last edited:
I could also look into 1/8 nitro offroad racing, since I'm already there with 10th scale racing. But every kit, you have to get your own engine that is like around 300 bucks.
I think Kyosho has a RTR nitro 1/8 buggy, not sure.

This is my local 1/8 track, here is a nitro ripping through it. Private track so can't post about it, but I can show videos

Oh I see it's more about racing for you... Well I've been too afraid to look at Novarossi's but I believe they'd cost multiple of the "babies" that I own😂 Kyosho for sure has great nitro buggies like the inferno which I haven't really looked into because for me every buggy is the same🫠
I've heard of such track "near" me called raco2000 which is the only place I know of that allows ICE's but I've been too lazy to get to them. Every time I'm seeing a vid like yours I'm wishing I had the monthly subscription to get to the track🥲

Last edited:
Nitro onroad seems fun. Didn't they have a nitro 4tec once? its probably discontinued by a long time ago.
Any other brands?
The 4tec went away 13 or so years ago. They also had an og electric 4tec that too met its demise.

Hpi discontinued their nitro rs4 3. If it weren't for parts I would say go for it.

Kyosho also has a nitro fazer. Unless you have a leaf blower, I would avoid onroads. One pebble can cause havok..... imagine a rock!

Kyosho also has the nitro usa-1!

Nitro is awesome once you figure it out. Not difficult but you have to have patience. The fuel is pricey, but it lasts awhile. I’d recommend Traxxas to start out. The EZ start makes starting a lot easier for a beginner. Also parts are easy to find. The Nitro Rustler and Nitro Slash are great kits and they aren’t super expensive.

Driving a nitro might get you dirty looks.
Driving a 1/5 gas RC will get you rude complaints.

Any other brands?
If you want a HPI, Kyosho or any other superior brand to Traxxas you’ll need to get used to ordering parts online.

1/8 Nitro cars and trucks are not any more expensive than electric. actually, they're cheaper in the long run due to less support equipment and stuff to damage.
1/10th scale cars are weak. if you're going to go nitro, go with a 1/8th.

The engines last longer than brushless.
No speed controls to fry/pop.
Trannys/gears are usually stronger.
Suspensions (Swing arms/hubs/bearings/shocks are usually stronger).

A good budget rtr Nitro car (Buggy) will cost around 450USD (Kyosho neo or Losi 8)

Traxxas is a good car/truck if you like buying parts every time you run it. The Traxxas 3.3 is a good engine but it's also a light engine thus it's not a super duty strong engine compared to 3.5 Force or SH. keep that in mind.

A good glo igniter will cost around 50USD (McDaniel Ni-Starter)
A gallon of 20% fuel around 50USD

Find a college parking lot and it will be empty on weekends.
Take the word "BASH" out of your vocabulary.
In my opinion when people say bash, I think unprofessional person who is not a hobbyist but rather someone playing with a toy.
Those are usually the people who are constantly breaking suspension parts because they look at the rc car as a toy and subject it, to driving styles that it was never intended to do.

But in the long run a 1/8th scale car, buggy, or truck will cost less than an electric due to the less support equipment, and stronger chassis in general.
Glow plugs, once you learn how to tune the nitro engine, you won't be needing many.

Stay away from the goofy hype of compression and re-pinching lol.
Dialing in a race needle is how non racers destroy engines. Race settings are not that important if you do not race (Sport tunes will do just fine), run it slightly rich and the engine will perform for years (I have K&B 3.5 and 7.5 engines that are almost 35 years old (Raced every weekend for 10 years) and ran on weekends sport running, and still run like raped ape's with original pistons and sleeves).

Tire wear, no different than a fast electric car or truck.

1/10th scale cars are weak. if you're going to go nitro, go with a 1/8th.
I've driven the cheapest, worst conditioned second-hand nitro 1/10th's and never broken a part. The smallblocks are easy to tune and start imo. But I'm not trying to encourage getting a 1/10th as 1/8th's are fun too👍
Take the word "BASH" out of your vocabulary.
In my opinion when people say bash, I think unprofessional person who is not a hobbyist but rather someone playing with a toy.
Those are usually the people who are constantly breaking suspension parts because they look at the rc car as a toy and subject it, to driving styles that it was never intended to do.
kinda cuz when I talk about bashing I indeed use my RCs for other things than they're supposed to be used for. But before doing so I always modify them (reversible!) to adapt to my driving style💁‍♂️ After all the hours I've spent on certain RCs it's impossible to say I'm watching them as a toy
Stay away from the goofy hype of compression and re-pinching lol.
I'd guess that's what the previous owner of my second savage did😂 no compression rings at all between the cylinder and the cooling head. Now It's barely possible to get the engine turning with a roto-start (every pullstart breaks), even though, once it does run, it runs very good. (No I'm not flooding it it's pure compression) and sorry for my essays, I gotta practice for my cambridge exam this year🙂 I aint kidding

1/8 Nitro cars and trucks are not any more expensive than electric. actually, they're cheaper in the long run due to less support equipment and stuff to damage.
This statement makes assumptions about the equipment that a person has or doesn't have. If you're talking about someone whos buying their first RC then yes theres less support equipment to buy but if someone already has an electric then they already own all of the support equipment. At that point then a nitro is more expensive because you have the continuing cost of fuel. In this particular case were talking about someone who already has the extra support equipment.

As for there being less stuff to damage on a nitro, I really dont understand that line of reasoning. the only marked difference in parts in an engine vs an ESC/motor so I guess your technically right in that the power plant in an electric is technically 2 pieces instead of one. That being said I guess I could argue that an engine is techncially also 2 parts, the engine and the carb. Other than that all the parts are either the same or you're substituting one part for another part. For example you could say that an electric rig has a battery but technically the nitro has a battery also plus a fuel tank so its not really less parts.

Also, before you go talking about how ESCs are easier to damage then nitro engines I would rebut that an electric with properly selected, good quality electronics and proper gearing will last for many many years just as a nitro engine will. By the same token if someone doesn't properly maintain and tune a nitro engine it could have a very short lived life also.

Generally speaking Id say its mostly a wash.

The engines last longer than brushless.
I dont agree with this statement either. Brushless motors will last for many many years if properly used and maintained just like a nitro engine. Even in the event that a component goes bad like a bearing for example it can be replaced. Same is true of nitro engines. If you have a con rod, bearing, piston, or sleeve go bad or wear out they can be replaced.

No speed controls to fry/pop.
A good quality ESC that is sufficient for the rig, motor, and gearing set up you're using for is not likely to fry unless you have a manufacturers defect but you can have a manufacturers defect in a nitro engine as well. Again its a bit of a wash.

Trannys/gears are usually stronger.
This is absolutely flase. Brushless motors produce waaaaay more torque than a nitro engine and therefor have to have stronger gearing than their nitro counterparts. Thats why when people do a brushless conversion the very first thing they damage are the gears and usually they get damaged very quickly. Thats why you will find plastic gears in nitros way more often than you find them in electrics.

Suspensions (Swing arms/hubs/bearings/shocks are usually stronger).
Again, i dont understand this conclusion. I'm going to assume by swing arm you mean a-arms but the a-arms, hubs, bearings, and shocks are no different between nitros and electric.

Last edited:
Another nitro vs electric🍿
My post has nothing to do with nitro vs electric. In fact my post points out the fact that the differences between nitro and electric in terms of components isnt all that different. I do not promote one of the other as I love both and taste is subjective.