Got the Hyper going again!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emu67

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, I've been having trouble with my hyper and it's 21 8 port. Well, I sealed the ting up, checked out the carb and resealed the needles, cleaned everything, took off the pull start and put a rear cover on, changed clutch...well, the thing still didn't want to run. The main bearing was going and it would start acting up when it would warm up! Only had 4 gallons through it too.

Anyways, I ended up purchasing a SH .21 pro bugg engine from the LHS. I was about to return it but they talked me into keeping it (yeah, right, I just needed someone to tell me to keep it...). I broke it in today, easy, started right up, needles were set good for breaking in. Did the heat cycle thingy and then got it up around 180 - 200 for the rest of the break in. Boy, the LHS guys weren't kidding; the racing engines have lots of torque down low and I haven't even tuned it yet. It idles like a dream, too.

Oh, I love my hyper again.

Sorry to hear about your .21 8 port problems. Mine has been nothing but reliable. At least with your new SH motor you are race legal still.

Glad to hear it. Mine is currently down due to pullstart problems. Bit she will be up and running as soon as i get a backplate and a starterbox :smoke:

Last edited:
I have a Hyper 8 Port and have not had the problems others have had. Let us know if you sell the 8 port.

I've heard nothing but good things about that SH buggy engine. Anyone else have them and how much did you pay?

emu67 said:
Well, I've been having trouble with my hyper and it's 21 8 port. Well, I sealed the ting up, checked out the carb and resealed the needles, cleaned everything, took off the pull start and put a rear cover on, changed clutch...well, the thing still didn't want to run. The main bearing was going and it would start acting up when it would warm up! Only had 4 gallons through it too.

Did you seal the needles with RTV or did you reset the needles.? That may be your Hyper prob right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
yea i dont think you can seal the needles.. i may be wrong though!!

Reseal needles...well, I bought a kit with all the carb seals so I installed the new seals onto all the needles and then reset them like the instructions said.

I got the SH .21 pro at Hobbypeople, a local LHS, for $230. I'm convinced that my 21 8 port needs a small part or 2 to get it going again so I'm gonna keep trying to get it fixed. It seems so young to die (only had 4 gallons through it). I guess it's a personal thing to me now to get that engine running.

Anyway, can't wait to get the hyper with the SH out to my local track. It's a tight little course so having a punchy engine will be great for it.

Didi you check the needles to make sure there was nothing in the path of fuel to be obstructed? This could cause a false Lean condition.

Also it would probably be a good idea to put some brand new fuel line on it. I'm assuming you havent had the stock fuel lines on for 4 gallons.... have you? The rule of thumb is to change the fuel lines every 1-1/2 gallons or so. Depending on what conditions you run in. Also mgith want to get a new air filter if you havent already.

Yeah - I checked the needles to make sure that they were clear.

I didn't do the fuel lines; I guess I better do that since I have the SH on the car right now. I may as well get a new air filter but I've been cleaning it regularly and then oiling.

Now, I gotta convince the wife I need another roller so I can stick my ailing 21 8 port to experiment. I wonder what she'll say??

Back