got myself a used losi xxx buggy

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alkyula

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
well..thats it..i got myself an electric..its an used losi xxx 2wd buggy....has no electronics on it, and i know nothing about electrics. basically i would like some pointers/advice on a good motor, i dont want anything rediculously fast, but coming from nitro i dont want it to be boringly slow either, and a good ESC that i wont have to worry about upgrading later. I'm willing to spend 150- maybe 200$ if someone can convince me hehe. BTW..i have a rough idea of what the tunrs/winds mean in a motor..bu id really like some advice on that.

Well it depends on a couple of things in regards to the motor department. If you are going to race say stock class everyone is using Monster Stock Pros ($28) which are Roar legal and Epic P2K pros ($28) which are basically the same engine sold under different names. I use both motors in my B4 and T4 and I win on a fairly regular basis if not in the top 3 in the A-main.

If you want more top speed you will want to run a mod motor in the Epic 19 turn double ($50 )which will be a handful on small tracks. You could even run a 12 turn double if you wanted some serious speed. FYI electrics hold the top speed world record for the moment. In general the lower the number of turns the higher rpm you are going to get and in regards to the double, triple, and quad it just means you will achieve that higher rpm faster.

A good ESC would be LRP v7.1, Quant. 2 which both run arpund $100-150. The v7.1 has no motor limit which means you can drop any engine you want into your car. The others are limited to 5 turn and above but it does vary between companies.

So basically the lower the turn the more top speed you will get but it will also drain your batteries faster due to higher power draw but you can limit all that on the LRP v7.1 if you want.

Yep, definately agree on the proper stock motors, I use the Monster Stock pro's for my B4 in the stock class as well. Mod I use D5 10x1 or Peak Vantage 12x2 as my favorites depending on track. One thing for sure though, if you are not readily able to sink some cash into support equipment like comm lathe's and diamond bits, stay away from low turn motors. They need to be trued every 5 packs maxx and if they are not, performance will greatly suffer. LRP makes some great ESC's as well as GM. I personally use Novak GT7 and a Cyclone C2 in my on road car and my B4. I am very happy with them but have used LRP's and GM's in the past with great results as well. Enjoy your XXX, I raced a BK in 2002 and 2003 and it is a great buggy.

thx for all the info guys....i think ill go with a monster stock pro for now..and go with the gt-7 so i wont need to upgrade later on an esc. and zoey your comment on the speed record held by an electric is absolutly true...although it can only run for about 1 min and has so many battereis it can not do anything but go in a basically straight line. who cares about that though? I'm getting into electric so i dont have to worry about tuning, after-run oil...and noise...plug and play if you want to call it that.

Back