Got my REVO!!! (Thanks AC48)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olds97_lss

RCTalk VIP
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all!

Well, I just bought this off of AC48 and it runs. It's midnight, so I only ran it long enough to know that it runs... now I'll sleep happy.

I'm not sure what killed it originally in the sand pit, AC48 said it died on him and he wasn't able to revive it. So, knowing this, I tore the carb completely apart, used DA on a q-tip to clean out all o-ring seats. I didn't find anything stuck anywhere. The carb barrel was a little gummy but that was all I could really find wrong with the carb.

So, after cleaning it out, I put it back on then started to work on the starter. I'm a pull start guy, so the EZ-start was the first thing to be removed. Upon inspection, everything was as AC48 said. Used, but not abused. Minimal scratches on anything, it looked almost new.

So, I cleaned the pull starter I had (it was in a baggy for almost 2 years). The guy that gave it to me wasn't nearly as anal as I am when it comes to maintaining vehicles. The starter cord was so gummy and sticky that it would hardly roll itself back into the housing with it off the engine. So, I cleaned the cord with DA, re-wound the pull starter (about 4 times... God was testing my patience today) and installed it.

I then pulled the glow plug (engine still off the truck), squirted some ARO in the cylinder, and pulled the cord to make sure it would recoil... it wouldn't. Pulled it back off the engine and it wound fine. Found out that the one-way was so gummed up after sitting for a spell that I could barely rotate it with my hand. It was also stuck on the starter shaft so tight that I had to pry it off with a screwdriver.

So, I got that off, soaked it in DA while I had a smoke, spun it on a paper towel until it was clean, re-oiled the bearing and cleaned the shaft off thoroughly. Put it all back together and took it outside. On the third pull (after priming the carb) it fired off. I forgot to check what the break in needle settings were, but 5 turns out on the HSN and 1 turn out from flush on the LSN was enough to let it run pretty rich.

I'll tune it for performance tomorrow. But now, I can go to bed happy with a $350 REVO sitting on my table and know it's fully functional.

Sorry for the short novel, but I'm just busy being happy.

Sweet! Should be a nice addition to your collection! Good to hear it wasn't somthing major too. have fun with er' and keep us posted how it compares to the savy!

Will do! I'll be at the skatepark tomorrow just to see what it can do. It needs winterized, but that can wait until next week.

It didn't survive the first tank of fuel :(

I broke an axle carrier while I was driving on flat pavement tuning the trans and carb after last nights complete teardown.

One of the pillowballs ripped right through the back of the carrier and shattered it on the way out. I went to my LHS and all they had was one package of stock carriers... so no backup :(. They also didn't have the RPM replacements.

I hope this isn't a sign of things to come...

On a good note, the 2.5R mill ran really well! Started right up. It seemed to load up out of the holeshot, but I think I got it tuned in a little better. I'm not sure which side (if either) is to rich still. If I let it sit for more than 10 seconds or so at idle, it loads up. My last TRX2.5 experiance wasn't a good one, so I don't have anything really to judge it against other than a long line of OS engines. Which we all know holds a tune really well.

Time to start wrenching and prepare for tomorrow. Supposed to rain... glad I picked up plastidip!

Glad you like it olds, and I'm glad you got the eninge going fine. I think going through the whole thing with DA could have been what did it, it never even wanted to fire for me. Too bad it broke, but hey that means your having fun. Good luck with it!

Olds, keep leaning the HSN as it the 2.5R seems to like ot load up from too much fuel overall getting to the carb, not just the low end (LSN).

Enjoy it. It must have been a freak thing having the carrier break as it is not that common on the Revo and even then it is not like it happens on any noticable pattern.

Revo Rancher said:
Olds, keep leaning the HSN as it the 2.5R seems to like ot load up from too much fuel overall getting to the carb, not just the low end (LSN).

Enjoy it. It must have been a freak thing having the carrier break as it is not that common on the Revo and even then it is not like it happens on any noticable pattern.

Thanks for the info. It's raining pretty good out, so I doubt I'll take it out again until next weekend. But I did take it out again last night for a tank in the dark parking lot.

I dropped the bell from 15T to 14T. I'm not sure what spur it has, but I like the extra little bit of accelleration the 14T gave me.

I already forgot what the stock spur is, so I can't help on that if it is the stock one. I use the RRP spur and clutchbell. Needed the extra beef for the RB 323. Never had aproblem with gear stripping when I was running stock motor.

The stock spur gear is a 38T.In my revo i am running 15T clutchbell and a 40T spur with the close ratio 2 speed and it has great acceleration and speed with the 2.5r.