Got my first nitro today

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jase125

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
Hey people. What's the beat way to run in a new engine? This is my first car and I don't wanna bugger it up! I'm scared I'm going to so something wrong when I start it first time lol.

Hey people. What's the beat way to run in a new engine? This is my first car and I don't wanna bugger it up! I'm scared I'm going to so something wrong when I start it first time lol.

First thing you do is to make sure all of your batteries are charged an everything is functioning proper with radio gear on.
Its always a good idea to get your engine hand book out an identify where an what your engines carb set screws do.
I personally set my rides up on blocks with the first 3 or 4 tanks of fuel an some small carb adjustments before it touches
the surface for safety.
An I always loosen my glo-plug alittle to relieve some of the preasure strain on starter an engine on first start ups ,
then as it starts ,take igniter off ,an tighten as the engine is still running.

I'm not going to help with the engine break-in procedure ,someone else can!
Please have patience an someone will help!

Last edited:
Just checking in to give you alittle more insight that a handbook don't tell.
New engines are hard to start because of the tight tolernces of the piston & sleeve ,{hence
the break-in procedure}
Some people have their own technics of break-in ,an even know the little tricks to overcome
the pain an horrors of first start ups.
I said in the first post that you would need to know what the carb adjustment needle do ,
Theres an Hsn ,a Lsn ,an in most cases a mid screw set needle.
Hsn means high speed needle.
Lsn means low speed needle,which is usually adjusted after engine is warmed an ready to drive.
An it also has an idle set screw,that has a tiny spring under it an is visible..
When I said that I adjust as needed while I break-in,Is the engine will start running different an
even in some cases revving high ,so you would need to make adjustments accordingly ,
which that screw maybe the idle set screw will calm that down.

One trick that I do ,is I lean my Hsn on first start up,an richin it back after engine starts so
the engine isn't over flooded with fuel ,that also helps relieve preasure an make for easier starts.

First starts are hard ,hard on the engine ,the starter ,an some cases the persons hand.
I hope this helps!...Enjoy & good luck!

First, read the instructions through fully, just to give you some insight on what each part is attached to and what it does. Then, whilst you are charging/ replacing/checking batteries in both the car and the controller, check that all screws are tightened, you have a 1-2mm idle gap (Check this by taking off the air filter and measuring the size of the gap) Also, once the batteries are charged, check, with the air filter of, that when you break, the car brakes, but the throttle slide doesn't close anymore from idle, and when you go full throttle (with the engine off of course) that the slide moves out of the way totally, without putting unnecessary strain on the throttle servo. Also check the same for the steering servo. Once you have done that, prepare for the break in. Fill the fuel tank up, make sure you press the lid down tightly to avoid any leaks, check all fuel lines are attached properly, then prime the engine. Do not over prime, if the pull start locks, do not force it. Undo the glow plug, pull it over a few times and then put it back in. You then check that both remote and controller are on and start the engine (put the glow igniter in and pull) First, from here, DO NOT REV THE ENGINE, If it starts to go full throttle, plug the exhaust until it stops. If it doesn't start, try heating up the cooling head of the engine with a hair drier, in the winter these engines are a pain to start, and really shouldn't be broken in during this time, as it is too cold. Once it has started, leave the engine to heat up, and then follow the breaking in procedure of your choice. Everyone's method is different, if you are unsure just follow the one that came with the startup CD or instructions. But, before any of that, read through this guide here:
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/threads/nitro-rc-beginners-guide.68224/