got me a new toy!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The side box vents into the main grill on mine. Just having problems getting the heat right. Either too cold or too hot.

Low temp smoking gives you a more intense smoke flavor. IMO too intense for ribs, I would prefer them smoked over a high heat, like 70-80c for a short period of time. It may also be the wood used. The tradition over here is to use beechwood for smoking. Sometimes juniper will be added to the smoking mix, but that's about as adventurous it gets.

my setup has the side box vented to the charcoal side of the pit. (right) i built a coal fire in the side box and then added pecan chunks i soaked overnight for smoke. I'm still learning how to handle the heat but it was around 300 for most of the time. i would like to keep it closer to 250, but i used my temp gun and temped inside the pit and the meat and it was more like 175-200. i think the thermometer in the lid is getting a higher temp. i had a water tray inside the "cooking" chamber with a half and half water and beer and it never boiled.

all in all i think it was a success. we bought that whole rack of ribs for less than a single plate cost at a restaurant, and the "labor" wasn't to bad. no one complained when they were feeding there face. i told them to speak up, so i can learn and do better next time. the only thing mentioned was the sauce was a little potent, but thats not my fault. i wanted sweet baby rays, but she grabbed something different.

if all goes as planned, next weekend will be brisket and maybe a drunk chicken.

Back