got a merv and got a few q's??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chickenman242

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I got this in a trade for a 1/10 e revo that I had collection dust ,I wanted to get one before but other things kept it away.firstly what upgrades are needed to make this thing stout ,the guy I got it from put rpm arms front and rear also upgraded the servo to a hitec hs-5086wp which seems ok but has a bit of a hard time keeping centre, is this a thing with them or what ,I don't usually have much luck with hitec but its there for now.
I have notice the radio box doesn't seal very well and had something go wrong and cause the magic smoke to come from the esc fortunately the guy gave me a spare motor and esc and I'm back up and running, is there anything to do to stop moisture getting into the radio box I check the seal and its ok.
I'm putting a list together at the moment and would like some opinions ,I'm ordering a new set of boots ,dirt hawg premounts or should I be looking at something else? they need to be all purpose. also just a few other bit like toe links and tie rods and these ones are looking tired ,should I get the aluminium one or are the stockers ok.
other than that what are some good mods and tips for these things , its pretty loose on 3s lol

Sorry CM I've never had a MERV although Id like to one day. The only thing I can really comment on is the servo seems a bit light on torque but it is waterproof. seems like the original owner was more worried about waterproofing than torque. If it were me Id replace it with something a little beefier even if I had to waterproof it myself.

Go with the RPM knuckles over the aluminum. Traxxas makes a kit to reseal the radio box which is a seal and grease which should do the job. I also upgraded the the shocks to the Traxxas GTR versions. I also upgraded to a GPM titanium adjustable turnbuckle and toe-rod setup. The final upgrade that I'd recommend is the center diff as this helps keep the beast planted on 3s.

Most of the newer Traxxas ESCs are water resistant not waterproof. As long as you don't submerge them you ought to be fine.

Here are pics of mine:

20130820_191834_zps00a8681d.jpg

20130820_191826_zpsd30d982f.jpg

20130820_191812_zpsad759010.jpg

20130820_191738_zpsec3ddaed.jpg

20130820_191715_zps50d17c78.jpg

I'd did all of what hamz9561 has done, except for the shocks, and turnbuckles/push-rods. I use GPM shock bodies with traxxas GTR internals.....I think I have summit plungers at the moment though.

I use the traxxas red alloy turnbuckles/push-rods connected to delrin rocker arms.

I've changed the the drivetrain significantly: RRP GEN3 slipper unit, hot-racing trans-gears w/ hot-racing one-way centre diff, traxxas front/rear centre driveshafts, and hot-racing helical cut gears. I kept the original wheel half-shafts since I needed a breaking point, and they are easier to get at, unlike the centre driveshafts.

As for wheels/tires, I like the proline beadlocks w/ trenchers, the dirt hawgs seemed too much like a road/hard pack tire.

I'd also have a look for any bushings, and swap them for bearings....um, oh right! I also have a TBR 3 pieces chassis brace/skid plate.

Last edited:
thanks for the input guys ,it already has a cd and some kind of after market shock installed which seem to be working fine ,ill get that seal kit for sure I don't want that to happen again.I'm hunting down the bearings as we speak ,ill also look at trenchers ,I want this thing to be stout so I can let my daughter use it without costing me a fortune. the guy I got it from also said he shimmed the diffs.

Mine has the Dirt Hawg IIs on the beadlocks. They're pretty good on pavement and in the sand/clay that passes for dirt around here.

I wasn't convinced that my electronics box was sealed enough so I just used the same high temp silicone that I sealed my nitro engines with, I did the same to the seems of the front/rear bulkheads.

i ended up going with the dirt hawgs, i didn't want anything to big plus i have them on another rig and they have held up very well. all parts are ordered just gotta play the waiting game...

019 (640x480).jpg
023 (640x480).jpg

Shim the diffs is a must!!! I picked these wheels up and i love the way they handle on both pavement and dirt!

they look sweet ,what are they? I don't mind having options lol!

I think I ordered the dirt hawgs mounted on desperados .I'll see how I go with them and get some beadlocs later I think

little update ,got the tires on and also got new pushrods and toe links ,just replaced the stockers for now but I did add the metal pivot balls .
what are peoples thoughts on springs and oil? currently its running 30wt front and rear with green spring front and blue rear. I'm still waiting on new driveshafts and carriers but I am considering getting rpm carriers ,are they worth the upgrade or should I just stick with the stockers??
overall I'm swaying towards keeping it ,for something so small it is a hoot!

LOL....I used 100K diff oil, just had to see what would happen. I seen some kid on YouTube doing it, so I tried it.....it's too thick, but I like the idea of a thicker oil in my shocks.

The rpm carriers are good upgrade for the price, you just have to keep checking them while you tighten, just so they aren't straining the servo, or prematurely wearing out.

I have run it a few more times and I still think there is room for improvement ,I may run tan springs in the rear and go to 40wt oil and go from there.

Back