Google Chromecast & Other Devices to Cut the Cord for Good!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
There seems to be a lot of interest in this device from other members in the other thread, so I figured I'd start a dedicated thread for it as I have one coming tomorrow. Almost two years ago, I cut the cord on overpriced satellite (cable applies here also BTW) television service. I grew tired of paying close to $100 a month for something that I was almost never home to use, and the ongoing contract arguments where the customer is the only one to suffer. So I made the jump to a WDTV device, and have since moved to a Roku 3. I'm including the Roku because it's currently the cream of the crop for streaming media content available today, and I feel the combination of both is the best you can get currently. For less than $20 a month, I have access to all the channels listed below. It's not easy at first, as there is very little "live" TV, so you have to weigh the way you perceive at your TV viewing experience vs. the cash outlay each month. But, once you wrap your head around it, and embrace the idea, it's fantastic, and it's extra RC money!

Here's a link to the Google Chromecast device

http://www.google.com/intl/en-US/chrome/devices/chromecast/

Here's a wiki page on features, and currently supported content

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chromecast

Here's a link to the Roku 3

http://www.roku.com/products/roku-3

And here are all the channels / content providers I currently have for less than $20 a month.

NOTE: Any of these not listed on the Chromecast wiki page are being viewed on the Roku box

Netflix

Hulu Plus (most TV shows can be found here, seriously , almost all of them)

USTVnow (all major networks ABC, NBC, CBS, CW, FOX, and PBS live broadcasts all FREE!)

Crackle (lots of movies and TV series all free)

Watch ESPN (live streaming sports events, and sporting news free)

Livestream (mostly sports, free)

Smithsonian channel (many full episodes, free)

Youtube (don't laugh, this is how I watch ALL the AMA SX and outdoor MX series, in HD no less, thanks for that Lloyd!)

History channel (lots of full episodes free)

PopFlix (classic movies, free)

TIME life (free live stream)

RUSH (action sports, free)

Popcorn Flix (movies, free)

There are a ton of others, but you get the idea. Now the majority aren't going to be the newest movies, and a lot of them are B movies, but again it's FREE (other than Netflix and Hulu, which will have a lot of recent release content) if you have a decent internet connection at home. The main reason I bought the Chromecast when I already have the Roku is that certain content requires you to watch it on the PC and not a TV connected device. Since the Chomecast has a browser it fixes that nagging issue. I'll do a little demo video when it arrives, along with showing you a site that hosts a TON of free content to stream. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info Randy. I currently use a pc hooked to my pc for all my streaming but I never know what to watch/go to other than youtube (I live there) and netflix.
Both the roku and chromecast look to be a cool. Are they organized so you are looking at a list of things to watch or are you just kinda surfing like you would be on a pc?

The list of the stuff chrome has is impressive. Whats the less that $20 a month statement though, whats costing you after the initial purchase?

The actual Chromecast runs $35 at time of purchase. It's the Netflix and Hulu Plus that run under $20.

I'm also a Cable-cutter and get my network TV OTA (Off-The-Air) and record it on my TiVo Roamio as well as get my Netflix and Hulu.

Thanks for all the info Randy. I currently use a pc hooked to my pc for all my streaming but I never know what to watch/go to other than youtube (I live there) and netflix.
Both the roku and chromecast look to be a cool. Are they organized so you are looking at a list of things to watch or are you just kinda surfing like you would be on a pc?

The list of the stuff chrome has is impressive. Whats the less that $20 a month statement though, whats costing you after the initial purchase?

You have a PC hooked to your PC? Are you over there dividing by zero too? (internet joke for those that know):hehe: Anytime Lloyd, you were one the one's that convinced me I could live without overpriced TV since I could still get all my bike racing, only I get a couple days later. The less than $20 a month is what my Netflix and Hulu plus accounts cost per month. To be precise, it's a total of $15.98 per month for both services.

The Roku is channel based, so you pick a content provider, then pick your content. I'll include it in the video also. The Chromecast, you pick your content provider, then content on your device (phone, tablet, PC, etc), then push it to the device, and I'll cover that also.

So hulu plus and netflix are the only 2 your paying for?
I have a couple of little problems with this device and the Roku, but I'm looking to ditch satelite and its $100 a month price tag, badly!

One all information I'm finding on whether the Chromecast is available in Canada is contridicting.
Two am I going to be able to watch the hockey games I want with either of these devices? I see the NHL network is available but the NHL network is mostly the American teams, I prefer to watch my favourite teams which are all Canadian teams.

I'm going to look further into it, find out what stations the better half enjoys the most and if their on either of these I'm going to make the change for sure.

So hulu plus and netflix are the only 2 your paying for?
I have a couple of little problems with this device and the Roku, but I'm looking to ditch satelite and its $100 a month price tag, badly!

One all information I'm finding on whether the Chromecast is available in Canada is contridicting.
Two am I going to be able to watch the hockey games I want with either of these devices? I see the NHL network is available but the NHL network is mostly the American teams, I prefer to watch my favourite teams which are all Canadian teams.

I'm going to look further into it, find out what stations the better half enjoys the most and if their on either of these I'm going to make the change for sure.

There is a Roku channel for this also, but I think it's a subscription based channel (paid) hopefully it works for what you want. Looks to be $110 USD per year, which is the best deal vs. monthly etc.

http://www4.hockeystreams.com/

Wow..I may have to look into this....it looks like you have a wide variety of different options! Thanks for sharing!

NP Tom, and there are lots of other channels available on the Roku as well. Some are paid, but a lot are free, and it does games, music, and other things too.

There are currently over 1,000 channels in the store. Granted, it will be like satellite where only a small portion of them is going to appeal to you most likely, but still.

http://www.roku.com/now-playing

The Roku is hands down the best money I've spent in a long time, but I'm anxious to get the Chromecast also and compare the two.

Last edited:
The TV shows I'm not to worried about because there is only one show that I like on TV and that is Justified... the rest I can live without or at least can wait for them to drop on Amazon, Netflix or Hulu. It is the live sports that I can't live without... I love my Sunday football and NASCAR.

Might have to look into those.

I axed cable a long time ago. I, too, was paying about $100/mo for the 3 or 4 channels I actually watched perhaps 3 or 4 hours a week. Ridiculous. Went without television for years, but with rugrats, had to do something, because getting them new DVDs all the time isn't cheap, either. Netflix was my answer, at $16/mo. So far working out well, but I still miss the history channel.

Great info, thanks for posting this Randy! I already have Hulu and Netflix so this should be an easy transition for me, not sure if the wife will accept it though.

You should be able to push History Channel.com to your Chromecast from your PC or laptop.

Its only a matter of time before cable (the way it is now) is no more I think. I had zero reason to keep paying for it because all I watched was sx/mx racing and TBS, not $60 worth of tv.

Looking forward to the vids Randy. On a side question that kinda pertains to this, how is hulu?

On a side question that kinda pertains to this, how is hulu?

Very easy to use and the tv shows are usually 1-2 weeks behind live episodes. I don't think I would choose it over Netflix but it's worth having IMO!

I've also cut the cable. Now using my SmartTV in the living room and Roku 2 in the bedroom. Paying for Netflix and Amazon Prime. I've also added a Clearstream C2-V antenna in the attic that's split between both TV's.

Very easy to use and the tv shows are usually 1-2 weeks behind live episodes. I don't think I would choose it over Netflix but it's worth having IMO!

Yep, that pretty much sums it up nicely. But, I'll add one thing, Netflix is more movie oriented, and Hulu is more TV show oriented, so if you want both you'll likely need both services. As WoodiE mentioned Amazon prime is nice also, and they have a lot of TV content also, though I used it more for the shipping speed living here in podunk. :D

Well, I got a Chromecast the other day and have been playing with it for a bit and as for my initial impression is: I like it. Anything you can load into a Chrome browser window, you can cast to the Chromecast.

You'll need an app to stream from a tablet or smart phone, but once you download and install it, you'll need to make sure your apps are all up to date. You'll then be able to stream from within YouTube, Vevo, Rdio, Pandora, etc.

The only that I've noticed is that there is a lot of overhead when streaming from a PC (CPU usage up over 30% in some instances). It also takes up a lot of WiFi bandwidth as well.

Back