Good first truck?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murbot

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
Any suggestions for a truck\buggy that doesn't break the bank and won't fall apart in 2 years?

Mostly plan speed around in grass\road\gravel at home and campgrounds. I'm fine with diy and electronics, but trying to avoid getting carried away with upgrades like I did with my e-bike. So looking for something that will be fun enough for long enough to keep me from blowing $150 on a battery or wishing I bought a drone instead. Hoping for something anywhere from $200-400'ish.

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

Hi,
Any suggestions for a truck\buggy that doesn't break the bank and won't fall apart in 2 years?

Mostly plan speed around in grass\road\gravel at home and campgrounds. I'm fine with diy and electronics, but trying to avoid getting carried away with upgrades like I did with my e-bike. So looking for something that will be fun enough for long enough to keep me from blowing $150 on a battery or wishing I bought a drone instead. Hoping for something anywhere from $200-400'ish.

There's a lot of nice 1/10ths in that range, the Granite BLX comes to mind.

Welcome in @murbot , you might keep one thing in mind,
RCs break and the break often. Don't get frustrated with this,
it's just the nature of the hobby.
I highly recommend you doing some research and make sure
parts of are available. A broken RC with no parts available
isn't fun at all.
Also, running in grass sometimes can be pretty rough on the electronics and drivetrain.

I would discourage you from encouraging your dog to chase a car, it's a safety hazard which can cause permanent harm where I've seen cases where dogs have lost their teeth! Some states may charge you with animal cruelty if you are caught, please be safe :)

Welcome murbot! The Traxxas Bandit and Traxxas Slash 2WD are great cars to start out with.

I'd suggest the Associated Rival MT-10.

Mine has proven to be quite durable and it has been so for several popular You-tubers as well.

You might want a better steering servo (a common upgrade for most RTR models), but they can be had for around $30 and it comes with a receiver with built-in gyro so automatic control can be enhanced until you gain more confidence/skill.

I'd suggest the Associated Rival MT-10.

Mine has proven to be quite durable and it has been so for several popular You-tubers as well.

You might want a better steering servo (a common upgrade for most RTR models), but they can be had for around $30 and it comes with a receiver with built-in gyro so automatic control can be enhanced until you gain more confidence/skill.
I think Team Associated has hit a home run with Rival MT10.
Hi,

Maintenance, and driving style... having an RC that "won't fall apart in 2 years" will be up to the owner/user. Getting into the habit of doing pre & post run inspections will do wonders with one's happiness.

I'm not a huge fan of RTRs, but for a person who is wanting to test the waters... gotta start somewhere. Just note that RTR electronics are chosen by the manufacturer to keep costs down. Understanding that and a person will most likely have a great experience.

Last edited:
Welcome murbot! The Traxxas Bandit and Traxxas Slash 2WD are great cars to start out with.
Might need to change tires for grass running and change the gearing to compensate on the bandit.

Can't go wrong with any of the listed above. Are you buying online or in shop? Parts availability is something to consider.

Conside a Team Associated Rival MT10 very good rtr truck that is just about ready to do what you want.

Just be sure to always check temperature of the esc & motor when paying or bashing in high grass etc.

Back