Good Deed for Today - Fun Little Visitor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
So I live in an apartment complex, and I think I must be known as the RC guy around here. A kiddo my son plays with came over with a huge 1/8 New Bright Raptor monster truck, asking me if I had a charger for it. Surprizingly, I had 2 from a few years ago when my son got a couple for Xmas.

So off he went happy as a clam to charge his batteries. I gotta say, the tires on that toy were so impressive, I almost sent him home crying with no tires lol. Just kidding! I would never take tires from a kiddo. But I coulda! 🤔😁😉

But it got me thinking... I need a 1/8 monster truck! Hurry up Kyosho! This is the truck he had with him. What a beast of a toy.

Attachments

• 00e4e0e7-5e3f-42e4-b5d9-94ee613b3d9d_1.77471936ce56f6ee0334c71c4c45f472.jpeg
    00e4e0e7-5e3f-42e4-b5d9-94ee613b3d9d_1.77471936ce56f6ee0334c71c4c45f472.jpeg
    178.2 KB · Views: 147
Yeah, he said he wants to put lights on it. Maybe a future project 😁 I envision a 3d printed chassis with a couple 540's under the hood and some scale axle housings with a 4-link setup lol.

So I got my kid this weekend, and his buddy came over last night and they went out and played catch for awhile. Then at 7:30 this morning this kid comes back knocking on the door. He has this camera drone with him the size of a DJI Phantom. This kid is 10 YEARS OLD! What kinda moron buys a 10 year old kid a drone with props the size of dinner plates?

He was wanting some AA batteries for the controller. I was barely awake and told him to come back in a couple hours, when I will be showing this kid some gruesome pics of people with propeller tracks up their arms, to drive home the safety concerns. I just can't believe there are parents this dumb, but I am pretty proud of the kid for talking his parents into buying him bad@ss toys 😝

I will try to get a video of him flying it after the safety briefing.

So I got my kid this weekend, and his buddy came over last night and they went out and played catch for awhile. Then at 7:30 this morning this kid comes back knocking on the door. He has this camera drone with him the size of a DJI Phantom. This kid is 10 YEARS OLD! What kinda moron buys a 10 year old kid a drone with props the size of dinner plates?

He was wanting some AA batteries for the controller. I was barely awake and told him to come back in a couple hours, when I will be showing this kid some gruesome pics of people with propeller tracks up their arms, to drive home the safety concerns. I just can't believe there are parents this dumb, but I am pretty proud of the kid for talking his parents into buying him bad@ss toys 😝

I will try to get a video of him flying it after the safety briefing.
Apparently they have more money than sense lol.

Amazing how much money parents throw at thier kids these days, when we were kids we had to save our allowance, return soda bottles, mow lawns, whatever. Now they get expensive electronics that are outdated yearly and don't get the concept of how much work it takes to earn something like that. Heck I can barely afford these toys and I'm an adult.

Amazing how much money parents throw at thier kids these days, when we were kids we had to save our allowance, return soda bottles, mow lawns, whatever. Now they get expensive electronics that are outdated yearly and don't get the concept of how much work it takes to earn something like that. Heck I can barely afford these toys and I'm an adult.
You just described my childhood to the letter. I was fortunate by the time I was 10 though because my dad bought about $10k worth of woodworking equipment and we started cutting out hundreds and thousands of teddy bears, rocking horse wall decor, etc for a guy and his wife who painted them and sold them at flea markets. By the time I was 11 years old I was bringing in $250/week and could probably out-bandsaw anybody in my state. It is actually how I bought my Marui Big Bear in 83, and my 65 Mustang when I turned 15 in 85.

So, off-topic, but my kiddo is sitting here watching a movie and said to me "you think they came up with the name Mall because instead of shopping at one store you can shop at theM ALL?"

I just lost it lol.

I'm pretty bad about spoiling my kids. Kind of a byproduct of growing up poor, I suspect

I'm pretty bad about spoiling my kids. Kind of a byproduct of growing up poor, I suspect
Yeah, same here. We were pretty poor, but it was nice that when I did work for my dad he paid me. During the time he had his woodshop we were actually doing pretty good. But that well dried up after 6 years. I am guilty of spoiling my kid as well because of this.

Yeah, same here. We were pretty poor, but it was nice that when I did work for my dad he paid me. During the time he had his woodshop we were actually doing pretty good. But that well dried up after 6 years. I am guilty of spoiling my kid as well because of this.
One of the most important requirements of myself in being a dad has been to give according to merit & need, not affordability. I blamed alot of my early bad choices on lack of opportunity. My kids won't be able to do that 😉

So, the kid just brought the drone back. Upon further inspection, this thing has a 2S 2000mAh LiPo battery in it! What is worse, it is puffing, and he just got done charging it on his wall charger. He has had it for a year. Getting ready to give the battery a physical exam, but I think it is fate that brought him to me with this. Unbelievable!!!

So I just spoke to the kids grandpa and as it turns out he isn't supposed to take it out of the house without grandpa present (oops), so kudo's to grandpa for that. But he was pretty shocked when I explained the LiPo danger to him. So I got the kid in trouble lol. But at least grandpa knows now about the dangers of improper LiPo care 😝

One of the most important requirements of myself in being a dad has been to give according to merit & need, not affordability. I blamed alot of my early bad choices on lack of opportunity. My kids won't be able to do that 😉
This I can respect, 😍 it's the parents that cave to every kids request, because they don't want little Johnny to throw a temper tantrum, or the split family that plays the one up game. My nephew is a good example, if he wanted an action figure, his grandma would by the whole collection, rather than just one or two. In the end he had so much crap he didn't really value any of it because there was no anticipation or waiting to get it.

We understood the value of things. If we really wanted it, we earned it, or made danged sure it was on our xmas list and hoped for the best. ;)

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be aloud to have expensive things, but it should be kept reasonable, and within thier range of responsibility.

I sound like an old man :eek:🤔😂

My cats are just as happy with a paper wad as they are with a $10.00 cat toy. Although I must admit they do like to chase and be chased by the rc crawlers but those are still mine dangit! 🤣

This I can respect, 😍 it's the parents that cave to every kids request, because they don't want little Johnny to throw a temper tantrum, or the split family that plays the one up game. My nephew is a good example, if he wanted an action figure, his grandma would by the whole collection, rather than just one or two. In the end he had so much crap he didn't really value any of it because there was no anticipation or waiting to get it.

We understood the value of things. If we really wanted it, we earned it, or made danged sure it was on our xmas list and hoped for the best. ;)

I'm not saying kids shouldn't be aloud to have expensive things, but it should be kept reasonable, and within thier range of responsibility.

I sound like an old man :eek:🤔😂

My cats are just as happy with a paper wad as they are with a $10.00 cat toy. Although I must admit they do like to chase and be chased by the rc crawlers but those are still mine dangit! 🤣
This makes a lot of sense. When my wife and I separated I was basically left with nothing. So I had to buy him toys to play with when he was with me. I felt like I was spoling him too much, but he quickly outgrew everything I bought him. So I tried to buy him toys for older kids. When he was 3-1/2 I bought him a badass Power Wheels and filmed him putting it together. It was crazy fun to watch. The car was up on boxes like it was on jack stands while he slapped the wheels on 😁

So I don't think it is bad to spoil a child as long as you are buying stuff that is educational in one way or another. And that is what is great about RC. It is a lot of fun, you learn so much, and you never outgrow it.

I decided not to have kids as my parents, while they loved me, were not the best role models. I was ignored a lot because my parents had their own issues they were dealing with so I was left to my own devices waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much. fortunately I made a little something out of myself when i got older but I had a fairly rough life up till about 30 and then I started getting my act together and pursuing a career and getting the education I needed for said career. I turned out ok in the long run but I could have been so much more had I had the proper guidance and upbringing. My brother turned out to be a lazy bum with a giant chip on his shoulder who lived in my moms spare room playing video games until he dies of a heart attack at the age of 44 a few months back. So suffice it to say I didnt want to visit the sins of my father on any kids I might have so I chose not to have any. Plus the world today is not the same world I grew up in. I dont even recognize it now a days so yet another reason I was glad not to put anyone else through potential hell.

Back