Godale's Emaxx Brushless Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well guys,

I am going to take a shot at converting an Emaxx to a Brushless Emaxx. The parts are starting to roll in. I have the Emaxx, the HV Maxx BL Motor and ESC, MIP Center Drive Kit, RRP Diff Gears, Hitec 645 for steering, RRP Double Disk Slipper w/ 74t Pinion, RRP 13T Spur, RPM Skid set, UE Idler gears, and a Traxxas wheelie bar (For Looks!)

The parts that are still on order.... I have MIP CVD's for all four corners, Integy MSR5 shocks, Lundsford 1/8 Ti Turnbuckles and hinge pins, Alumnium Wheel hexes, RPM knuckles w/ oversized bearings, and RPM A Arms for all four corners.

I still need to eventually replace the bulks and a few other things, but I will get through all of this first! LOL This is going to take some time to replace. It should not be a big deal though, Traxxas has some good exploaded drawings. Anyway here are some pics of what I have gotten so far. I hope to start this project next weekend, as long as the parts are all in.

100_1628.jpg

100_1627.jpg

100_1626.jpg

Take care guys.

Tom

Last edited:
Going to be a fun project.

With the brushless set-up, the wheelie bar will be for more than looks. You are going to give it a workout if you want to.

Going to be a fun project.

With the brushless set-up, the wheelie bar will be for more than looks. You are going to give it a workout if you want to.

Yeah, I am looking forward to it. This will be my first Non-Kit project I have worked on in quite a while. I am a bit nervous taking this thing apart, but the exploaded drawings seem to be pretty detailed so it should not be so bad. I am anxious to see what that one brushless motor is going to do! It is pretty exciting. I am a bit surprised at how much it is going to take to "bullet proof" this rig though.... but then again my Tmaxx took alot too. I will post pics of my progress. I am sure I will be asking many questions though! LOL

Tom

Just got the call from the LHS, the rest of my parts are in! :celb2: The only bummer is that I have to wait until Saturday afternoon to pick it all up. Doh! :eek:pps:

The one thing I have not decided on as of yet is what type of rubber to put on... Any suggestions? Thanks!

Tom

Go with some big Zombies.......on beadlocks.........you will need hexes.

Go with some big Zombies.......on beadlocks.........you will need hexes.

Sounds cool I will check it out. I am going to have a Grave Digger body on it too. This ride will be mainly a basher, actually this will only a basher. I have ordered the aluminum Hexes as well. Thanks Talon!

Tom

All these talks of brushless is killing me. I may hae to start one up...NOOOO LOL Looking good Tom.

All these talks of brushless is killing me. I may hae to start one up...NOOOO LOL Looking good Tom.

Thanks Jon,

I think I am really going to have some fun with this. The rest of the parts, have come in, it is basically like the TMaxx, you have to basically rebuild it to bullet proof it. I just have to go and get them now. In fact my Brother in law just ordered an Emaxx for himself. He is not going brushless, though. You ought to give brushless a try... I started off with a BL 18T, and now I have the BL T4, and now the EMaxx. Nothing like it!

Tom

Well, guys so far I have the front and rear ends of the truck taken apart and both front and rear diffs ready to disassemble. I have ordered a screw kit and it should be here any day now, so I will wait until that gets here to go much further. I am going to have to build the new turnbuckles and get the shocks filled in the meantime. I am a bit nervous about taking the tranny apart, but if it is anything like taking the front and rear of the truck apart, it should be a breeze. I will post some pics of the progress soon.

Tom

As long as you have the Traxxas exploded view of the tranny, you will not have a problem with it.

Hey Rob, I do have a copy of the exploded views of the tranny, and the truck. I am just going to take me time with it and as always I label everything as it comes off.

Hey Rob... how much did you have to shim the diffs when you put the RRP gears in? Thanks

Tom

I don't remember exactly, but I know it wasn't a whole lot.

The Kippster aluminum cups I used made for a much better fit than the stock plastic ones.

Thanks guys... I am enjoying it so far.

Rob, I was afraid you were going to say that.... I knew of the kipster cups... but I didn't know that the ring gear would need to be modified to use them before I bought my RRP gear set. So it looks like at least for now I am stuck with the stock diff covers. Doh! Thanks again guys.

Tom

Well Guys, The project is almost completed. I am waiting on the new pillow ball screws to come in, and then it should be complete. I started the tear down on Thursday night and worked each night until about 1:30 am, and then Sunday afternoon while the race was on. I still have to play with the tow, and camber settings, and some other minor settings, but all in all I think I am about there. The diffs were a total PITA, but the rest of the truck went back together rather quickly. I was surprised at how easy the truck was to disassemble/reassemble. Well anywho.. here are the latest pics. I left out the tear down pics because... well there was just a chassis left! I really enjoyed it. The best part is when I put the batteries in and fire this thing up.... and see if I put it all back together correctly! LOL The only other parts I have added since the last post was new aluminum pillow balls, new alumunium pillow ball screws, RPM Bulkhead Braces, and a Hitec 645 for steering. I am also working on a Grave Digger body. I just need a good set of wheels and tires. Thanks for all the help and advice!

100_1629.jpg

100_1631.jpg

100_1633.jpg

100_1632.jpg

100_1636.jpg

100_1639.jpg

Tom

Last edited:
Nice job.

I will send you my gorillamaxx battery straps I used on my stock chassis when I switch to the new chassis in the next couple of weeks.

I shortened them to use on the stock chassis and they most likely wont work on the new chassis. Plus the new chassis came with another set.

PM me your addy if you want them.

Thanks guys, This was really a fun build. This was the first time I "reverse engineered" a truck so to speak. I never really had to look at the exploaded drawings too much. I just paid close attention to how it came apart. I also replaced all the screws with a set of RC Screwz from Fasteddy. I really enjoyed this one..... There isn't much stock about this truck anymore! LOL Other than the chassis, bulks, diff cups, shock towers, and bumpers everything else is after market. I think the bulkheads are next, just have to wait a bit. The wife has been more than understanding, but I think I have spent enough for now. Thanks again guys.

Tom

Last edited:
Thats a great looking truck Tom, we need some video of that beast!

Thanks Smaxxin! I will see what I can do about a vid. I think that could be arranged. That is one big motor though. I know it has a huge sinc on it, but still that motor just seems enourmous to me. It is hard to imagine that this motor will have more kick than the two motors I took off of it. I just hope I put it all back together the way it should go. I guess I won't know until I fire it up this weekend though. LOL Thanks again my friend.

Tom

Back