glow plugs..

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1mtx1

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys, so i run 20 percent fuel and for the most part i use a hot plug. I placed a order and i got 3 medium plugs and the company will not get back to me. So i want to know what could i expect putting in a medium plug in my trx 2.5 or sc10gt that has a .18? Will there be a major change in tuning or the running temp of the motor? I really want to use these but like i said i really never used medium plugs and now i am stuck with 3 new in package ones. I did read out side temps really does not matter but it is kinda cold here and when i will need to switch out my plug i will be doing this i assume in the early spring as i start to lean my high end . On a side not i have a stock trx 2.5 plug in my sc10gt and i think it might be a medium plug and my sc10gt just ran great 10 min ago when i had her out there. Do not hold me to what plug is in there as i think it could very well be a hot plug but like i said it came stock with my 2.5 (no markings on the plug) and i changed that one for a hot plug in my max . If it helps i have a a few n3 hsp cheapo plugs and just got the wrong order for 3 N4 plugs which i think is there medium range plug.

Last edited:
I run medium plugs and 25% FUEL in every engine I have. i.e; Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3, xtm .28. OS .21, Novarossi .12's. I think you plugs will run just fine and there's not going to be a significant temp change that you will notice.

I run medium plugs and 25% FUEL in every engine I have. i.e; Traxxas 2.5 and 3.3, xtm .28. OS .21, Novarossi .12's. I think you plugs will run just fine and there's not going to be a significant temp change that you will notice.

What company has 25% i use 20 percent i did have 2 big blocks but i used 33 percent and used a cold plug and that worked for me in the past. So if i go from a hot plug say that i know 100 percent sure that is in my t maxx then to one of my medium plugs there will be no change in temps or how the truck responds to how much or little i get on the throttle? I was kinda pissed last night when i seen N4 on my plugs i knew there was a issue as my other order was N3 and from what i could find the N3 is a hot plug and the N4 is cold. The company i got my plugs is getting some bad feedback looks like they do not care about feedback.

I just usually run the stock traxxas 3232 plug in all my 3.3's. You will be fine!

I'm running 25% Byrons Gen2. I used to run O'Donnell's 20% and when I switched, it made my engines come alive. Trinity Monster 25% is some good stuff too if you can find it. Anyway, go ahead and screw one of those medium plugs in and run it. I really don't think you're going to see much of a change, if any. It's my understanding that hot and medium plugs are for low% fuels and when you get up in the 30% range, you need you be running cold plugs. Plug selection has to do with adjusting the firing timing. Here's something that I copied and pasted concerning plug selection.

A glow plug’s temperature range is critical to proper performance. Small-block engines generally use warm to hot glow plugs, while big-block engines use plugs in the colder range. If you choose a plug in the wrong temperature range, you could be chasing the tune of your engine till the sun goes down. Changes of the relative temperature of the glow plug can be beneficial, however.

A combination of compression, heat and a catalytic reaction between the platinum in the glow-plug coil and the methanol in the fuel creates combustion in a nitro engine. Altering the heat range of your glow plug can alter the timing of the combustion process. Nitro engines don’t have an ignition system that can be used to advance or retard combustion timing, but a hotter plug that causes ignition a little earlier in the combustion process can have the same effect. “Advancing” the ignition timing can increase overall power output, especially at higher rpm. There are limits, however, and installing too hot a plug causes pre-ignition (detonation) and risks damaging your engine.

It’s a challenge to figure out a glow plug’s temperature range. Manufacturers don’t use a consistent and universal standard to rate the temperature ranges of their glow plugs. You will probably know the temperature of a plug relative to others within a given product line, but currently, no rating system allows comparisons among manufacturers. Here again, plain old experience with a variety of glow plugs will help you to know which are best for the effect you want.

“Reading” the glow plug is a tuning technique advanced by Ron Paris. It suggests that looking at the glow plug tells you something about how your engine is running. The element in a glow plug will turn gray in an engine that is close to the optimum fuel mixture. This method requires a new glow plug, as the element will eventually turn gray regardless of the needle settings; the length of time it takes to turn gray is the issue. Plugs that turn gray in just a tank or two of fuel (running at race pace, not diddling around) indicate a fuel mixture close to ideal—but also close to trouble. If the plug stays wet and shiny for a few tanks of fuel, you’re in the safe zone; a little rich but safe. When the plug wire gets distorted or broken, however, you’re in real trouble. It’s a sure sign that the mixture is way too lean, or that there is too much compression and the engine is detonating.

Last edited:
cool thanks guy's i guess i did not waste my money after all. I do thank everyone i had picked up a few rc last month but sold them . I am looking in to another monster truck so having extra plugs on hand was what i was trying to do. I all ways have at least 3 that are in new in package or have very little use.

Hi guys, i have a problem with revo 3.3 when o was running the Break in the engein turn öff, i turn on again, work 2 minuts a turn off again, afther thah the engein don't turn no again, i check the EZ-engein an all gears are ok, the engein move but don't turn on, the EZ-start indicate the glow plug si ok, can somebudy help me???