Glow plugs...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smittyzz

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
So I've run a couple tanks today, but at the end it was running like crap. Any throttle and it would want to cut out and even stalled once. It gradually got like that..
I finally thought to try another glow plug!
It ran a lot better!
The old glow plug doesn't glow much anymore just deep in its cavity.
And was pushed in a little.
I'm assuming its dead, but does a glow plug really mean that much? Will it really cause these engines to run like complete crap?
If so of the 9 glow plugs I've accumulated 4 maybe 5 are junk...
I'm going to charge my igniter and hump pack tonight,, grab my newest brightest glow plug I have and see how it runs.
I honestly never thought a junk glow plug would cause an engine to run like it did today.

On another note, I used my new caliber to align my wheels, and it actually drives straight now!!!!!

does a glow plug really mean that much? Will it really cause these engines to run like complete crap?

What did you think a glow plug did, just fill a hole in the top of the engine? The plug is what ignites the fuel mixture in the engine.

How it's tuned for ambient temp and humidity also makes a difference, but it's the chemical reaction between the ingredients in the fuel and the platinum on the coil that makes for a good burn. Once the platinum starts getting depleted the performance of the engine will suffer.
So, a bright OLD plug isn't as good as a bright NEW plug.

Yes, but I thought that once the motor was running and you remove the igniter it ran solely on compression
Is it that the glow plug stays lit the whole time after its running?
I've still got a lot to learn.

---------- Post added at 6:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:32 PM ----------

How it's tuned for ambient temp and humidity also makes a difference, but it's the chemical reaction between the ingredients in the fuel and the platinum on the coil that makes for a good burn. Once the platinum starts getting depleted the performance of the engine will suffer.
So, a bright OLD plug isn't as good as a bright NEW plug.

Now that was what I needed. Me I understand why everyone suggests new plugs all the time.
Thank you for the INFORMATIONAL response Rolex!
Will be going through my glow plugs tomorrow and ordering more Friday for backup as I feel more then I thought were bad.

Even after the ignitor is removed, (with the engine running) the coil continues to glow bright due to the catalytic reaction of the fuel and the platinum and the ignition in the cylinder. Usually, once it's running, if it's tuned correctly it will even glow brighter.

Even after the ignitor is removed, (with the engine running) the coil continues to glow bright due to the catalytic reaction of the fuel and the platinum and the ignition in the cylinder. Usually, once it's running, if it's tuned correctly it will even glow brighter.

Thank you! I now know how a glow plug works. And after inspecting my glow plugs I've got only three good ones out of my nine. I'll be ordering more Friday!
Thank you again Rolex!!

but it's the chemical reaction between the ingredients in the fuel and the platinum on the coil that makes for a good burn.

Ignition via a heat source is not a chemical reaction; it's thermal ignition. Nothing in the glow plug chemically reacts with the fuel. If it did, they would not be glow engines; they're be reactors.

Ignition via a heat source is not a chemical reaction; it's thermal ignition. Nothing in the glow plug chemically reacts with the fuel. If it did, they would not be glow engines; they're be reactors.

They'd *:p
And thanks for some more information, could you explain more in depth of what happens?

Towards the bottom of THIS POST read the info.

Chemical reactions are defined as resulting in a chemical change to the substance(s). The glow plug does not undergo a chemical change during the ignition process.

Catalysis promotes or augments chemical reactions; the catalyst is a participant, but not a subject. Just as the catalytic converter in your car does not undergo a chemical change as it is turning HCs into CO and CO2, neither does a glow plug as it turns nitromethane and methanol into thermal energy.

catalyst

cat·a·lyst
[kat-l-ist]
noun
Chemistry . a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

Sh!t is getting serious Yo!
Regardless, I got what I needed to know from both of you! So thank you both!

catalyst

cat·a·lyst
[kat-l-ist]
noun
Chemistry . a substance that causes or accelerates a chemical reaction without itself being affected.

Can't argue with that. Sounds like something Adam Savage said. :hehe:

Sounds like something Adam Savage said.

Love those guys, one of the few things I miss about cable. Just couldn't keep paying $130/mo for Discovery, History, Military and 300 other channels of pure crapola that are part of the package.

The hot platinum surface is the catalyst and will glow in the presence of methanol vapor with the correct amount of O2 and heat.
It’s simply a catalytic reaction that occurs.
Between strokes of the engine, the plug wire remains hot, and will continue to glow due to thermal retention, but mostly due to the catalytic combustion reaction of methanol remaining on the platinum.

Why are boogers light green?

Can't help you there. Mine take on the hue of whatever dust or paint I was inhaling that day. They were real pretty on Friday, after I finished this one:

IMG_0769_zps3615c5a1.jpg

Much as I don't want to, think this one is getting nicknamed "the Leprechaun"

Not quite as flattering as two of my other RC10s, Warthog and Destroyer.

Why do my hands get red when outside playing with my toys? And how do I stop it?
Its like all tingly feeling and it sometimes hurts?!

It all depends on what toys you're playing with.
Lets just stick to the subject at hand shall we?:hehe:

Why do my hands get red when outside playing with my toys? And how do I stop it?
Its like all tingly feeling and it sometimes hurts?!
Not sure what toys they are, so, is it red like in, "Too cold" or are they red like in "Covered with blood"?
If it's the latter, stop what you're doing and turn yourself in.

Back