Glow Plugs - Turbo

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

500 Mike

RCTalk Champion
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I bought a REDS 521 Sport engine for my Tekno truggy. I am currently breaking it in and am looking to get a spare glow plug or 2 to have on hand, just in case. I went to my LHS and he didn't have any plugs for a REDS engine but sold me a plug for an OS engine. He said it would work fine but I would have to use OS plugs from then on because it would change the taper of the head from what it is now with the stock plug. Keep in mind these are turbo plugs with the taper sealing bore.

1.) is this correct? Will it change the stock taper in the head if I install the OS plug?
2.) Do different plug manufacturers have different tapers on their plugs?
3.) Should I order some REDS plugs and return these?

I compared the 2 different plugs the best I could w/o removing the OS plug from the packaging and I really couldn't tell much difference, other than the length of the tapered section seemed a little longer on the REDS.

Anyone have any experience with moving back and forth between plug manufacturers?

Email reds. They are pretty good with support. Sure one of the techs will let you know. Might even have a replacement plug number for ya. Love my reds motors. Best on the market imo.
Email reds. They are pretty good with support. Sure one of the techs will let you know. Might even have a replacement plug number for ya. Love my reds motors.

Email reds. They are pretty good with support. Sure one of the techs will let you know. Might even have a replacement plug number for ya. Love my reds motors. Best on the market imo.
Thanks. I didn’t think of that but I would be surprised if they would recommend anything other than their own plugs. I could be wrong though. I’ll give it a try. Just thought some of the experienced nitro folks on here might have tried it and would offer an opinion.

Glad you are happy with your Reds engine. I was hoping I made a good choice! 😀

I have the reds 521 in my kyosho mp9 buggy, first of all its awesome. Secondly, I always heard the standard Reds ts3 hot turbo plugs were made by OS anyway, so the OS plug should work no problems. Me personally, I only run reds plugs in mine but I have to order online. Either way, you should be totally fine.