Glow plug life

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxGuy

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Racing
I know glow plug life determines lean and rich setup but what's a normal life of a plug ?

Glow plug life doesn't necessarily determine tune, other than if it lasts 5 minutes, your lean. If your that lean, glow plugs are the least of your concern.

I've had glow plugs last me many gallons and others fizzle out in a day for no reason, they just stop working.

That said, inspecting your glowplug will tell you a bit.

2016-0509-glowPlugExample01.jpg

1 - good racing tune
2 - too lean, risking damage, flame outs, overheating, blowing plugs for performance
3 - good basher tune, a little rich
4 - overly rich, lean it out a bit

If you remove your glow plug and the little coil inside is gone or deformed, your too lean.

Glow plug life doesn't necessarily determine tune, other than if it lasts 5 minutes, your lean. If your that lean, glow plugs are the least of your concern.

I've had glow plugs last me many gallons and others fizzle out in a day for no reason, they just stop working.

That said, inspecting your glowplug will tell you a bit.

View attachment 93550
1 - good racing tune
2 - too lean, risking damage, flame outs, overheating, blowing plugs for performance
3 - good basher tune, a little rich
4 - overly rich, lean it out a bit

If you remove your glow plug and the little coil inside is gone or deformed, your too lean.
Thank you sir

Back