Glow Plug button Leak

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2000delux

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi Guys,

Well finally got to the point where I can start tuning my engine and get rid of that bogging sensation when I gas it (clears out for few seconds sometimes and hauls so am gutted this has come up...) but have struck an issue...
I don't know if it's the novarossi turbo plug (RB Matrix engine) that i was sold (am very much newbie still - thought LHS would know but threads are juuuust slightly diff) or just my muppet self inserting the glow plug wrong to add after run oil while engine hot but I have cross threaded / stripped the thread in my button.
Now it still has a decent amount of comp but hiss's when I crank engine manually and bubbles when running (still runs ok surprisingly) - all I need to know is while I am awaiting my button head (and RB PLUGS!!) can I run my engine safely or will this cause damage?? I would think that with less compression there wouldn't be much danger (and still rich setting so engine not getting too hot) but i don't know enough to want to risk it without someone onto it in RC telling me it's safe.

Many Thanks,
Delux.

If it's leaking around the glowplug I would not run it.Just wait till the right plugs and button shows up.

I always thought that if the glow plug was wet it meant that the engine was running rich.

I figured as much but I don't know how long until they arrive (ordering from sth island - haven't even got a price yet) so I'll be chewing my arm off by the time they actually get here :doh:
Thanks for reply anyways I just figured as I said less compression can't be bad and the temps are still low... Gutted. Hope the couple of tanks I put through in the weekend didn't do any damage :puke:

Cheers,
Delux.

Errmmmm and I meant of course that less compression shouldn't damage it as less forces - NOT saying lack of compression = what I want in my motor I want him healthy again :)

Hey ohmagahitscoby! It's a little worse than that there's seriously fuel bubbling up out of the head where the glow plug sits :mad:
Heard back from engine supplier this morning and they don't have the button in stock!!! Ohhh NO but there such awesome people they have an old one from one of their motors which although slightly pitted (bearing blow-out) will be OK to run until there shipment comes in.
How's your 3 going anyway is it all sorted? Saw some pic's of a fully blinged out one the other day looked mean :yes:

Hi Markallen,

I wondered about that - when I compared them side by side the thread on the Nova plug was longer / further down the plug and appeared to be slightly wider so I thought it may have something to do with it... Probably an optical illusion on the width of the thread (which means I'm a muppet and cross threaded it - won't be doing that again)
The guy who sold it to me knows much more about RC and is a pretty good guy so I am guessing it is OK for the motor (although I'm not going to use it on the new button cause i'm a bit paranoid) it seems to seal a lot better than the RB plug so there must be a slight diff but it's pobably more the diameter of the bit that sits over the thread (sorry n00b don't know name) at the top or something.
Thanks for the input!
T.

Did you also buy yourself a better glowplug wrench?
The 4-way multi-tool wrenches are junk.

Did you also buy yourself a better glowplug wrench?
The 4-way multi-tool wrenches are junk.

Junk? How are they junk? I own several 4-way wrenches and not one of them has caused an issue as far as cross-threading a plug.

I'd be interested the hear how they are junk.

I haven't yet but engine supplier adv same thing so I'm going to look into it this week - any in particular you would suggest i don't want to go through this BS again...

although the multi has the perfect size for ripping my car battery out when my gel cell packs a sad mwahahaha