Gifted Nitro Rustler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CycloneKid

RC Newbie
Reaction score
This winter my good friend gifted me his used 2wd nitro rustler because he didn't want it anymore, he said he beat it up and wasn't great at maintenance. I am a beginner at nitro RC as well this being my first ever car. He left fuel in the lines over winter, and the grey drivetrain next to the plastic gear looks like it has oil on it. if anyone can offer tips or show me tips that would be awesome. I've always had an interest in these so gaining confidence and knowledge would be great. Thanks!

Attachments

• image1.pdf
    404 KB · Views: 222
  • image2.pdf
    401.2 KB · Views: 191
I would probably do a tear down and rebuild on most of it. Fuel line is cheap, so I'd replace it. If the tank is gummed up, you can try to clean it, but may just replace that too. The beauty of Traxxas stuff is they have great manuals and exploded views on their website and parts are readily available most places.

Lol....A year isn't that bad!

My friend let his 4 tec sit for 12 years. He had me go through it about 4 years ago.
It cleaned up nice an ran like a new one.
I used hot soapy water to clean the fuel tank ,an broke the engine down ,cleaned it up aswell as
it was gummed up.

I would probably do a tear down and rebuild on most of it. Fuel line is cheap, so I'd replace it. If the tank is gummed up, you can try to clean it, but may just replace that too. The beauty of Traxxas stuff is they have great manuals and exploded views on their website and parts are readily available most places.
A tear down is the best idea. You'll be able to go in ad thoroughly clean everything and see how it's put together. You'll also be able to go in and LocTite all metal attaching screws, make sure the shocks have oil and the rear end/transmission has lube or grease.

A tear down and through clean. This way you can spot any damaged/broken parts and find out how it works to help solve later problems.

Back