Gearing question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JP-12

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Sorry for so many threads lately, I had quite a few questions, but couldn’t think of how to word it all at once.

The manual I received with my HPI Bullet shows how to disassemble and reassemble parts, but it doesn’t show how to raise or lower gearing.
I’m not sure if this is possible on my vehicle without modification, but some of the other RC’s I’ve seen, it was a fairly easy thing to do, but wasn’t the same setup as I’m running.
I’m wondering how to change the gearing to get more grip to pop some wheelies. Is anyone familiar with this RC?

@JP-12, in order to change the gearing of the HPI Bullet you would change the spur and pinion gears.

@JP-12, in order to change the gearing of the HPI Bullet you would change the spur and pinion gears.
Looking at the parts explosion, this isn't like the old hpi nitro mt where the engine bolted to 3 holes in the chassis directly. It appears to have a more traditional engine mount and slots in the chassis. So as long as there's room to slide the engine back and forth, you should be able to increase/decrease the clutch bell tooth count.

This is listed as an optional bell for the bullet ST/MT 3.0:
12T Bell: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101258

Requires smaller bearings though, 5x8mm. I'd suggest you by 4+ of those as that small of a bearing won't hold up very long on a clutch bell. 5x10's don't hold up all that long, but an even smaller bearing will be even more likely to die. So would be good to have some on hand.

Looking at the parts explosion, this isn't like the old hpi nitro mt where the engine bolted to 3 holes in the chassis directly. It appears to have a more traditional engine mount and slots in the chassis. So as long as there's room to slide the engine back and forth, you should be able to increase/decrease the clutch bell tooth count.

This is listed as an optional bell for the bullet ST/MT 3.0:
12T Bell: http://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/101258

Requires smaller bearings though, 5x8mm. I'd suggest you by 4+ of those as that small of a bearing won't hold up very long on a clutch bell. 5x10's don't hold up all that long, but an even smaller bearing will be even more likely to die. So would be good to have some on hand.

That’s what I was wondering, because on a different vehicle I saw a video where they made slight adjustments to the position which in turn adjusted the torque.

That’s what I was wondering, because on a different vehicle I saw a video where they made slight adjustments to the position which in turn adjusted the torque.

Moving the engine doesn't change anything. Changing the tooth count on the spur or bell is what changes it, then adjustments are required for proper mesh.

Some of HPI's trucks had a fixed engine that wouldn't move on the chassis. So, to change gearing, you had to figure out a different spur and bell that would still fit in the same spot as the stock gearing. It made it more idiot proof for a novice, then you couldn't get wrong mesh using the stock spur/bell.