gear mesh?!?!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IDnewcrwlr

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
wats the best way to make sure your gears are properly meshed? i hava slash and would like the peace of mind knowing its meshed properly lol. thanks

This is the way I've been doing it for 10yrs or so.

I set the pinion so there is around a mm or two between the tip of the pinion tooth and the valley of the spur gear. Then I manually spin the spur gear to see that it spins freely and doesn't bind.

Next i take a strip of paper and feed it into the mesh, once it starts feeding through so i can grab it. I pull it through. If it rips, my tensions too tight. If it just glides through with no rippling teeth marks on the paper, its too loose. I want just enough contact to make ripple teeth marks on the paper but not tear it. You want just a little resistance.

Also center your pinion and use a dab of BLUE locktite to prevent it from backing off.

Hope I helped.

the paper trick is a good way...i just eyeball mine but you can tell when you hear it run too lol.

I just make sure there is a very slight amount of play between the pinion and spur gear all the way around by rotating the spur gear slowly and continuously checking to make sure there are no tight spots.

there are many diferent methods of meshing your gears, i just go by wat i see and the feel, once you do it enough you get down to where u can get it just about perfect from sight and feel but that takes lots of gears before you get it good

look and listen ....spin the wheels check for binding before you start it up them do some little juice to see and listen too it ....over time this will be easer

For 48p I do the paper trick, but for 32p I do eyeball trick hahaha...32p gears are bulletproof, they won't be easily stripped by improprer adjustments....

For 48p I do the paper trick, but for 32p I do eyeball trick hahaha...32p gears are bulletproof, they won't be easily stripped by improprer adjustments....

lol so you think. on my GT running 32p gears i stripped atleast 10

abadk9420's way is the way I have been doing it for many many years. +1!
The 32p on a Traxxas Magnum trans is basically idiotproof.