Gasser or Lectric

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WideOpen

RCTalk Addict
Supporter
Reaction score
Very generically - cars, trucks, boats, planes, dirt, or paved - which is the faster machines fuel or battery? Maybe it ain't that generic???

well electrics are gonna be faster generally if its a high quality brushless one and their gonna instant torque i can't say much about nitro since i only had one and it was a Redcat and we all know how that goes so i'm gonna say more pros ad cons about electric without comparing them much electrics are clean you don't have fuel to spill also you don't have to buy fuel every time you run out but lipos are pricey and you can't just refuel when you run out and go back to running you have to either pack more batteries or wait for them to charge or both also i'd say electric is easier to understand and more beginner friendly but that's just me feel free to correct me if i'm totally wrong about this because i know barely anything about nitros

You can get more power out of electric in a smaller package. To get a combustion engine to go faster, you have to go to larger motors, equaling more weight, that at a certain point cancels out the practicality. Electric can pack more punch into a smaller package and lighter weight. There are a ton of technical details that are over my head, but I read some good posts in the past by folks way smarter than me.

Electrics are generally more economical in several ways. First is cost (LiPos can be cheap sometimes the same price as 2 quarts of nitro; electric vehicles have wide range of pricing and lots are more affordable than nitro and other ICE RCs), then size (much wider selection to fit what you need), and higher power density (electrics usually more power-dense in terms of weight and power like @Doom! brought up). And I agree with @Dewalt Drill that electrics are easier to maintain (except when an ESC goes out of wack and doesn't respond, then it becomes a total nightmare to program). If the experience of a real engine interests you, don't be afraid to go for it.

I would say electrics can be faster for a short period of time. It is easier to make an electric fast. Nitros are faster over an extended period of time
Nitro kits are cheaper if you consider the same size and quality kit by about a third.
3 gallons of nitro fuel costs less than a 4s 5000mah spektrum smart battery.
Electric kits are simpler with fewer parts and are easier to maintain.
A nitro kit is more interesting to a tinkerer. You have a suspension, transmission, mechanical brakes and engine to tune and maintain.
Nitro seems more like a hobby and electrics seem more like a pastime to me.

Been a nitro guy for ever. And Starting to get into the electric side of the hobby. I Would have to agree. That electric is way easier for a beginner. Alot less you have to mataine. Just plug and play. And is way cleaner. alot more tourqe then nitro in a small package. Only thing you got to pay attention to those temps. Or you will Fry motor and or electronics. Nitro not that easy. It alot more mechanically involved with tuning the motor/ cleaning air filter/ adjustment to your brakes. And then you got after run mantiance that is involved. Not to beginner friendly.But like WVNED said a you can get gallons of a good fuel for cheaper then a lipo battery. In a short course on road run I would go electric. But for a long course run off road. I would have to say nitro. If that motor is tuned just right and you got a big fuel tank. You can run forever. Electric you hold that throttle pinned for a while it will over heat and fry. Especially if your off road. In say sand/ little mud. Nitro just pin the throttle. Two totally different RCs worlds it seams. It's all about personal preference. Gear heads will probably lean towards nitro.

A lipo battery can also become very unstable if not cared for and charged properly. For a beginner. And will burn your house down along with your RC. That's why they are coming out with the smart technology batteries and chargers. No thinking involved just plug and go/charg. Especially if you have kids using the equipment. Smart technology would be the way to go

Or if your son plugs in the 6s battery's in his new car. He is going to show how much better electric is than nitro. Then the esc fails
IMG_6251-M.jpg

Never had a nitro car explode in my kitchen. They sent him a new one.
Then we had the big race around a baseball diamond.
I won. I know how to set up a car and got some belted tires.
IMG_6604-S.jpg

He was a newbie. He thought electrics were faster cause the net said so. If you can get the power on the ground, I guess maybe so.

I'm a Pure electric person.. Id say electric is way faster in all asked areas.. Just a way shorter run time.

Ah this age old debate...

Brushless has the instant torque factor and responsiveness that is great on the street (as in drag racing, or a tight, twisty course) that is an advantage over (most)nitro.

On dirt, the instant torque isn't much advantage, if even a disadvantage at times. In this area, the bigger factor is getting the power to the surface, both platforms generally provide more power than can be utilized fully. A lot comes down to gearing, handling, driver skill, etc. I have seen people shocked when a nitro machine screams around a track that they can't keep up with with a brushless one. I have seen double takes when people have seen my big block powered solid axle trucks fly out of the blocks and literally leap into the air coming out of turns under power.

One of these reasons is that many people compare things to Traxxas 2.5/3.3 powered vehicles, since they are the most popular, common brand out there. Both of these engines are dyno tested at less than 1 hp(Traxxas has never put out their "official" ratings). Both the Dynamite .19 and O.S. .21 put out close to double that - if you're to believe their ratings (personally I think this is pretty close since I've got both Traxxas and those other two and have tested in TMaxx's and the difference in power was significant). Also, for comparison's sake, I can't recall the exact calculations, but I believe that a 3s powered brushless vehicle puts out the equivalent of around 1hp, and 2s around .75 hp).

Now a big block nitro engine, such as an LRP .32 or SH .28 put out around 3-4 hp, which is going to be much faster than a small block nitro, and probably most brushless other than 6s or higher. However at this point, we are talking about power that is difficult to utilize in either setup.

3 gallons of nitro fuel costs less than a 4s 5000mah spektrum smart battery.
When taken care of properly, A battery will last a long time, you'd have to figure out lifetime expense of the battery/nitro. I have gotten 8 years out of a battery with regular use. I don't know much about Nitro, so I don't know how long 3 gallons will last? I do know. you get more run time per session, with Nitro, so I don't know how all of that balances out in the long run.

Or if your son plugs in the 6s battery's in his new car. He is going to show how much better electric is than nitro. Then the esc fails
IMG_6251-M.jpg

Never had a nitro car explode in my kitchen. They sent him a new one.
Then we had the big race around a baseball diamond.
I won. I know how to set up a car and got some belted tires.
IMG_6604-S.jpg

He was a newbie. He thought electrics were faster cause the net said so. If you can get the power on the ground, I guess maybe so.
Wow that's crazy. Hope your kid or anyone was hurt cuz of that crazy
Ah this age old debate...

Brushless has the instant torque factor and responsiveness that is great on the street (as in drag racing, or a tight, twisty course) that is an advantage over (most)nitro.

On dirt, the instant torque isn't much advantage, if even a disadvantage at times. In this area, the bigger factor is getting the power to the surface, both platforms generally provide more power than can be utilized fully. A lot comes down to gearing, handling, driver skill, etc. I have seen people shocked when a nitro machine screams around a track that they can't keep up with with a brushless one. I have seen double takes when people have seen my big block powered solid axle trucks fly out of the blocks and literally leap into the air coming out of turns under power.

One of these reasons is that many people compare things to Traxxas 2.5/3.3 powered vehicles, since they are the most popular, common brand out there. Both of these engines are dyno tested at less than 1 hp(Traxxas has never put out their "official" ratings). Both the Dynamite .19 and O.S. .21 put out close to double that - if you're to believe their ratings (personally I think this is pretty close since I've got both Traxxas and those other two and have tested in TMaxx's and the difference in power was significant). Also, for comparison's sake, I can't recall the exact calculations, but I believe that a 3s powered brushless vehicle puts out the equivalent of around 1hp, and 2s around .75 hp).

Now a big block nitro engine, such as an LRP .32 or SH .28 put out around 3-4 hp, which is going to be much faster than a small block nitro, and probably most brushless other than 6s or higher. However at this point, we are talking about power that is difficult to utilize in either setup.
I don't think any company out there will give up there true specs.its all about PR and marketing to them. So they can out sell the next to say we sell more. But driven both the electric/nitro the electric is definitely better on road driving/racing. Dirt sand feel like the electric just spins wheels alot more them the nitro. And is easier to over heat and melt. Cuz like you said the amount of power is about the same. To a point. Until weather you go big block motor or a 6s/8s electric
When taken care of properly, A battery will last a long time, you'd have to figure out lifetime expense of the battery/nitro. I have gotten 8 years out of a battery with regular use. I don't know much about Nitro, so I don't know how long 3 gallons will last? I do know. you get more run time per session, with Nitro, so I don't know how all of that balances out in the long run.
You definitely will get alot longer life over long term with a battery. poop I could burn almost a gallon of fuel in a good day of bashing. Just like a car more throttle more fuel burned. But like you said one battery will last you for as long as you take proper care of it.

That's true. But I can buy 3 more gallons or maybe even 10 with what a good charger costs. 3 more with the power supply
That puts me at 16 gallons. That would last me many years.
Wow that's crazy. Hope your kid or anyone was hurt cuz of that crazy

I don't think any company out there will give up there true specs.its all about PR and marketing to them. So they can out sell the next to say we sell more. But driven both the electric/nitro the electric is definitely better on road driving/racing. Dirt sand feel like the electric just spins wheels alot more them the nitro. And is easier to over heat and melt. Cuz like you said the amount of power is about the same. To a point. Until weather you go big block motor or a 6s/8s electric

You definitely will get alot longer life over long term with a battery. poop I could burn almost a gallon of fuel in a good day of bashing. Just like a car more throttle more fuel burned. But like you said one battery will last you for as long as you take proper care of it.
So you only have 1 battery for your car? I bet you have a few more. You can burn a gallon of fuel because you can refuel and go again in 2 minutes.
I do not think batteries are much or even any cheaper than nitro fuel. Most batteries don't last 8 years.
Want to run your Aarma Kraton 3 times. Thats 6 3s batteries.
You gonna run again. Nah all my batteries are dead. Wanna run my other car. Yah.

That's true. But I can buy 3 more gallons or maybe even 10 with what a good charger costs. 3 more with the power supply
That puts me at 16 gallons. That would last me many years.

So you only have 1 battery for your car? I bet you have a few more. You can burn a gallon of fuel because you can refuel and go again in 2 minutes.
I do not think batteries are much or even any cheaper than nitro fuel. Most batteries don't last 8 years.
Want to run your Aarma Kraton 3 times. Thats 6 3s batteries.
You gonna run again. Nah all my batteries are dead. Wanna run my other car. Yah.
Oh totally agree keep filling the tank and keep going. And u really don't have to worry to much about Temps if you can tune a motor. You definitely can't have enough batteries. Unless you only want to drive for a hr at a time or even 30mins. Depending on how/what you drive. And and being careful you don't over heat esc/motor and cause problems. Then your up shjts creek till you get new or fix it. Nitro like you said I can pound on it all day weather it hot or cold out side all day with a gallon of fuel. And never stop. Because of Temps. As long as you have no problem tuning the motor. As far as shelf life of fuel. I don't real know that answer. As it doesn't get the chance to sit there that long. Before it's burned. And I always buy in bulk if I can. Knowing I will burn it up LOL

Conclusion: can't go wrong with either, and both are fun in different ways.
I would choose electric if you run RCs often every now and then (like me; I run them for 10 min, go back into the house to do some other stuff, run them for another 15 min, etc.) and nitro if you run RCs for a whole day at a time. Also, consider rock crawling (electric) if that interests you.

Conclusion: can't go wrong with either, and both are fun in different ways.
I would choose electric if you run RCs often every now and then (like me; I run them for 10 min, go back into the house to do some other stuff, run them for another 15 min, etc.) and nitro if you run RCs for a whole day at a time. Also, consider rock crawling (electric) if that interests you.
Agreed to each their own and your preference. And what suits your enthusiasm.Been eyeing the crawls as to it slows things down and not so much gets broken. And maybe a little more of a challenge. As per keeping the teuck on the trail or rocks. As I love going 4wheeling/ off roading in my personal truck. And not just beating on or jumping a truck/car. Again and aging. And the boats just seem awesome yet still hung up on the retrieval of the boat. As to I'm sure it will flip at some point and time on me. With how I like/try to push RCs to test their limits of capabilities and strength. Then go home a fix it to drive again next weekend hopefully LOL

That's silly. Get both. Several of each even.
🤣🤣🤣.. that's probably going to happen. To be honest you can never have enough RCs.Got to be willing to learn new things and change it up. Or you will just end up bored with it and then end up with a dusty RC. That just sits there over time. No FUN 👎👎

Back