Fuel won't flow and can't prime NITRO BUGGY HELP

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needhelpplease

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So I have an HSP 1/10 scale warhead buggy and I haven't used it for about 5 months. I tried to get it going but I couldn't prime the buggy to get fuel into the carb. The only way I could move the fuel to the carb is by blowing into the tube that is connected to the exhaust. When I do this I am able to start the buggy and it runs for about 5 seconds with barely any smoke then dies down because no fuel is getting to the engine. It also gets VERY hot. To get it going again I would have to blow into the fuel line to move the fuel so it can run for another 5 seconds. My fuel lines are fine but it is quite loosely attached to the exhaust pipe due to the way the whole is structured. My exhaust gasket is broken but I tightened it pretty tight so I think it should be fine. Does anyone know how to fix this problem so I can prime my car and also get fuel flowing to the engine?
Thanks so much for your help.

exhaust gasket not being airtight is going to be an issue, definitely replace, and order some extras too, i am guessing fuel got gummed up in the carb or in the tank and not allowing to flow through correctly. i would pull the engine off, remove the carb and pull the needles out and rinse off in nitro fuel or denatured alcohol. i would also clean out the tank, there might be something in the fuel outlet in it, and old fuel gums tanks up really really fast.

Last edited:
Figure out a way to push fuel into the tank from the exit tube. If it has a stone filter or screen, it will help dislodge any gunk in it, then rinse the tank out really well and dump it before running fuel back through.

In a pinch, you can make a side exhaust exhaust gasket out of thin cardboard and an exacto knife. Something like a soda/beer can box or cereal box. It's thin and highly compressed cardboard and it will hold up until you can get a proper exhaust gasket.

If it's a rear exhaust engine, there isn't much you can do other than order a new silicone gasket and wait.

Also I can get the fuel to flow if i over the carb hole and full the trigger without putting my finger the exhaust hole. So I think the main issue is that my exhaust isnt creating enough pressure to push the fuel into the carb. Any further tips?

Also I can get the fuel to flow if i over the carb hole and full the trigger without putting my finger the exhaust hole. So I think the main issue is that my exhaust isnt creating enough pressure to push the fuel into the carb. Any further tips?

I think it maybe all in the tank filter being plugged or dirty ,I usually clean my tanks out with very hot soapy water as the fuel
left behind turns into a heavy syrup like soda in a bottle or can!

Just because you can force fuel through it ,does not mean that it is not plugged ,it could be plugged enough were it wont
syphon on its own from the pressure from the muffler ,I know because I leave fuel set in all of my rigs all the time ,as long
as a year!
Also ,make sure that the tank lid seals too ,check that by blowing air in the tank with one tube while having the other
outlet tube pinched off ,if it bleeds out from the tank lid seal ,then the seal is bad!

Make sure that the muffler nipple is not plugged as well!

Back